Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
The season is going to play out while other things play out internally. No matter the outcome of aTm, it was going to be that way.
We are going to shoot ourselves in the foot aren’t we? Not endorse Pruitt so his recruits may bounce and not go hire someone? I mean you’d think if Pruitt doesn’t get some kind of endorsement in the next week or so he’s a lame duck and next year won’t be able to recruit.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
Interesting article Bob Stoops Now: Is The Former Oklahoma Coach Done Coaching?

As a matter of fact, Stoops has been linked to the Tennessee Volunteers over the past few weeks. The 2020 season has been so disappointing for Jeremy Pruitt’s squad that fans in Knoxville might just want him gone.

Tennessee hasn’t been a contender in a long time, but Stoops could quickly turn the program around. There wouldn’t be any concern as to how he’d fare in the SEC either since he spent three years with the Florida Gators.

Zach Ragan of A to Z Sports Nashvillebelieves the Volunteers should fire Pruitt if they can absolutely land Stoops. He’s the type of head coach that could turn around a program like Tennessee.”

I’d like to fire Zach Ragan for his bs articles. The Knoxville sports media needs a culling in the worst kind of way. Lazy, access reporting, wild speculation from message boards, and clickbait.

I hate Kiffin with every ounce of my soul for being the reason we've been sliding into mediocrity for 10 plus years (I think the night he left was the night I quit lurking this site and finally signed up). But, if you block that from memory, he is exactly the head coach I would want IF he had truly grown up and wants this job as badly as it's rumored. Great offensive mind, excellent recruiter, players coach, willing to speak his mind.

He is the one who f#$%ed this up, now make him fix it!!!

Just how much would it say he’s grown if he skipped out on Ole Miss after a year, the same way he did us?
You’d really want that person to lead your program?
I don’t.

It sucks not being able to look forward to signing day... I always look forward to it for weeks while we get all these crootin nuggets and have hope for landing big cruits...

Now... it feels like, AT BEST, we’ll keep what we have 😔

Reactions: volsfan_17
We are going to shoot ourselves in the foot aren’t we? Not endorse Pruitt so his recruits may bounce and not go hire someone? I mean you’d think if Pruitt doesn’t get some kind of endorsement in the next week or so he’s a lame duck and next year won’t be able to recruit.
He is fully endorsed or fired by Sunday.

I can’t help but feel it’s the same ole same ole UT. We will mess this up. The fact we aren’t zeroing on Freeze is telling. He’s the most realistic option of a proven winner we’ve ever had probably.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Just how much would it say he’s grown if he skipped out on Ole Miss after a year, the same way he did us?
You’d really want that person to lead your program?
I don’t.

I don't think we get Kiffin but leaving OM = leaving Vanderbilt. The only reason OM had any relevancy at all was because of Freeze. Kiffin may do well there but OM to UT is not a lateral move just as Mullen going from State to UF wasn't lateral.

If one is objective, Fulmer's firing didn't start UT's downward spiral, and it wasn't Kiffin's leaving that torpedoed the program. It was UT making a bad hire afterward. There were better options available.

Nobody has done less with more than Pruitt, though.
We were in slow and gradual decline since '05-'07, under Fulmer. Once Richt, Saban, and Meyer showed up, it was pretty apparent that he'd fallen behind, and it was reflected in our record.

IMO, we made a good hire with Kiffin, his staff was the best we've had in nearly 20 years...we just had the worst possible luck when Carroll's infractions forced him to look to the NFL before he was forced out by the NCAA...and then SC couldn't convince their first 3-5 choices to be their next coach.

...but the dye was cast when Hamilton hired the first available coach.

Whining about support? How 'bout beating Arkansas or Kentucky? This fan base expected to be competitive this season . Maybe it was the preseason ranking . Maybe it was most pundits saying UT was ready to take a step forward this season.

One of the most loyal and rabid fan bases had your back CJP. You pissed it away.

Go be a DC at Bama. We're gonna get a real coach and curb stomp your azz.

If one is objective, Fulmer's firing didn't start UT's downward spiral, and it wasn't Kiffin's leaving that torpedoed the program. It was UT making a bad hire afterward. There were better options available.

Yep, no argument there--- if you look at the roster, Kiffin did an amazing job with what he had to work with... one low kick away from beating bama... I wouldn't have a problem bringing him back at all because he's smart enough now with his experience to know to surround himself with the right coaches and stay out of their way.

so auburn 3 days later hires a search firm.

good plan.
Just a technicality I’m sure.

Most schools have specific search firms on retainer and are contractually obligated to use their services when they have an opening.

In this case, they probably have their list of finalists and want this search firm to perform the background checks and stuff.

One could argue it was the Kiffin hire itself that did it. It was a bold but ill-advised hire, given what there was to know about Kiffin at the time, and came with a predictably unpredictable tenure. His self-promoted image as the young, brash coach with swagger and confidence played well with the kids and he clearly had a bright football mind, but his immaturity and irresponsibility were not at all hidden either, so program instability should have been an expected by-product.

On the other hand, one could argue it was Fulmer's decline in his last years that started the spiral. Which shifting wind begins a storm?

We were in slow and gradual decline since '07, under Fulmer. Once Richt, Saban, and Meyer showed up, it was pretty apparent that he'd fallen behind, and it was reflected in our record.

IMO, we made a good hire with Kiffin, his staff was the best we've had in nearly 20 years...we just had the worst possible luck when Carroll's infractions forced him to look to the NFL before he was forced out by the NCAA...and then SC couldn't convince their first 3-5 choices to be their next coach.

...but the dye was cast when Hamilton hired the first available coach.
The program actually entered the decline phase after 2001. That was Tennessee's last elite season and was also the year Mark Richt entered the conference. Saban had also entered the conference, in 2000. It was slow and gradual at that point, but the trajectory of the program was not up.

The next phase of the decline began in 2005, with Tennessee's first losing season in however many years and with Urban's entry into the conference.

In 2008, we had another losing season, and the combo of Richt+Urban in the East was absolutely blowing Phil's doors off in a variety of areas by that point, necessitating his firing.

Another phase of the decline began when Kiffin left, and then we entered free fall mode when Dooley was hired. We've been there ever since. There was a false bottom in 2015-16 under Butch, but we've made new lows way underneath those levels now.

Reactions: RiotVol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back