Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
One could argue it was the Kiffin hire itself that did it. It was a bold but ill-advised hire, given what there was to know about Kiffin at the time, and came with a predictably unpredictable tenure. His self-promoted image as the young, brash coach with swagger and confidence played well with the kids and he clearly had a bright football mind, but his immaturity and irresponsibility were not at all hidden either, so program instability should have been an expected by-product.

On the other hand, one could argue it was Fulmer's decline in his last years that started the spiral. Which shifting wind begins a storm?
If you want to go back to the very, very beginning, what began Tennessee's decline actually wasn't something that we did. It was the entry of Saban, Richt, and Urban into the SEC beginning in the early 2000s. By the late 2000s, they were all running circles around us.

We don't like to admit or talk about it here, but Tennessee's dominance in the 90s was largely a function of the SEC being ass except us and Florida. Spurrier had Florida humming and got the best of us, but look at the rest of the conference. It was junk, particularly our 2 other big rivals (Georgia and Alabama).

Reactions: McDad
I hate Kiffin with every ounce of my soul for being the reason we've been sliding into mediocrity for 10 plus years (I think the night he left was the night I quit lurking this site and finally signed up). But, if you block that from memory, he is exactly the head coach I would want IF he had truly grown up and wants this job as badly as it's rumored. Great offensive mind, excellent recruiter, players coach, willing to speak his mind.

He is the one who f#$%ed this up, now make him fix it!!!
That’s the spirit

Reactions: UTSuave’
I can’t stand Auburn after all the recruits they’ve magically stolen from everyone but they are always a thorn in Alabama’s side which is good to see as a Vol fan but man if they fired Gus to hire Kevin Steele it will be simultaneously hilarious and yet I’ll empathize with those fans. That’s such a Tennessee move. We’ve been through that too many times. They’ll be searching again in 3 years.

Just a technicality I’m sure.

Most schools have specific search firms on retainer and are contractually obligated to use their services when they have an opening.

In this case, they probably have their list of finalists and want this search firm to perform the background checks and stuff.
dc50f30aafcf14fd7ea4a1e043d7fe29.gif

giphy.gif

GIF-o-rly-really-skeptical-yeah-right-GIF.gif

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Look at Texas, SCAR and Auburn.

Texas thought they could buy Meyer. They couldn't. After getting publicly refused, they had to put out an announcement saying they were keeping their HC.

SCAR fans were gleefully posting wishlists with the same guys some UT fans want. They ended up with a former assistant.

Auburn won the throw millions into the wind challenge and their top fallback is to promote from within-- a UT guy that UT wouldn't hire last search.

Letting the season play out while working behind the scenes isn't a bad way to go. Some might argue UT has learned something.

Texas thought they could buy Meyer. They couldn't. After getting publicly refused, they had to put out an announcement saying they were keeping their HC.

SCAR fans were gleefully posting wishlists with the same guys some UT fans want. They ended up with a former assistant.

Auburn won the throw millions into the wind challenge and their top fallback is to promote from within-- a UT guy that UT wouldn't hire last search.

Letting the season play out while working behind the scenes isn't a bad way to go. Some might argue UT has learned something.
Or Phil is a good voice of reason, and taught some people something.

This is encouraging. I hope if we do get a new coach it’s actually someone everyone can get behind and has had success.

it's nice to watch dominos fall, instead of being a falling domino.

let's see what shakes out of this mess.

Wow that’s really nice to hear!!!

We were in slow and gradual decline since '05-'07, under Fulmer. Once Richt, Saban, and Meyer showed up, it was pretty apparent that he'd fallen behind, and it was reflected in our record.

IMO, we made a good hire with Kiffin, his staff was the best we've had in nearly 20 years...we just had the worst possible luck when Carroll's infractions forced him to look to the NFL before he was forced out by the NCAA...and then SC couldn't convince their first 3-5 choices to be their next coach.

...but the dye was cast when Hamilton hired the first available coach.

Fulmer grew complacent. UT let him rest on his laurels a bit, but he was winning. And he probably could have turned it back around, had pressure been applied. Hamilton wanted a different guy and a different image for the program.

It was just bad luck and bad timing with SC. Kiffin was an unlikely candidate, SC was "home" and he hadn't been at UT long enough to change that. Everything that happened after is pretty much the poor judgment and bad decisions of the UT AD, the enabling of a weak chancellor and a hands-off president.

SIAP. Heard this on Finebaum and now read it again. The Texas situation reminds me of when Auburn tried to hire someone while Tubs was still employed.

It’s being reported that Tom Herman contacted South Carolina AD Ray Tanner about the opening in Columbia before Shane Beamer was hired.
That would have been a homerun for them.

Last edited:
SIAP. Heard this on Finebaum and now read it again. The Texas situation reminds me of when Auburn tried to hire someone while Tubs was still employed.

It’s being reported that Tom Herman contacted South Carolina AD Ray Tanner about the opening in Columbia before Shane Beamer was hired.
What an idiot!

Auburn flew Bobby Petrino down for an interview his first time at Louisville and got busted.

Reactions: volsfan_17
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back