Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lane Kiffin is telling some that if our job opens he wants it. We can literally choose him or Freeze.

Please just do it UT.

Wait Where are you hearing that? Lane flirted with us for years post-USC but I haven't heard much from him since OM hired him. He absolutely would've taken the job last cycle. Now though? IDK.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
No offense, but I wasn’t alive then lol
I wasn't either, but just thinking back throughout history at what people likely thought at the time. I imagine that other teams probably were worried when Johnny was hired, given that he was coming off a national championship the previous season at Pitt.

I know for a fact that nobody was worried about the Pruitt, Butch, Dooley, or Kiffin hires. When Johnny was pushed out of the way for Phil, I don't know if people really expected that Fulmer would go on to field a team that finished in the top 10 nearly every year for about a decade, plus win a national title. He was a pretty highly thought of longtime Majors assistant at the time, but it wasn't apparent that he was a future HoFer.

I hate Kiffin with every ounce of my soul for being the reason we've been sliding into mediocrity for 10 plus years (I think the night he left was the night I quit lurking this site and finally signed up). But, if you block that from memory, he is exactly the head coach I would want IF he had truly grown up and wants this job as badly as it's rumored. Great offensive mind, excellent recruiter, players coach, willing to speak his mind.

He is the one who f#$%ed this up, now make him fix it!!!

If we hired Kiffin today, people would say that. When we hired Kiffin in 2009, people didn't say that though. He didhave the track record (the bad and the good) yet.
Right. That’s why I said he had us headed there. After that Ga and SC game we were beginning to be looked at differently.

I hate Kiffin with every ounce of my soul for being the reason we've been sliding into mediocrity for 10 plus years (I think the night he left was the night I quit lurking this site and finally signed up). But, if you block that from memory, he is exactly the head coach I would want IF he had truly grown up and wants this job as badly as it's rumored. Great offensive mind, excellent recruiter, players coach, willing to speak his mind.

Can you imagine this board if we hire him, he kills it here in Year 1, and then the USC job opens that same year?

I just want to hire someone that all other teams say “Oh sh*t!” It can’t be as hard as we make it out to be every 3-4 years.
That's a good concept for discussion.

Everyone has a short list of who you want. Who is on your "oh ****" list that you absolutely do not want to see our yearly opponents hire?

I can understand those who are against Briles because of reputation. I'd hate to see UK or USCe hire him as OC. Same for Bobby Petrino.

What? With all due respect, you need to read up on what happened after that. His departure hurt but the admin didn’t have to hire Dooley or Butch. They didn’t have the sizable enough buyout to keep him.

Lane Kiffin is telling some that if our job opens he wants it. We can literally choose him or Freeze.

Please just do it UT.
If he really feels bad for the way he handled the UT situation do you think he would turn around and basically do the same thing to ole miss years later?

Reactions: OrangenSC
Can you imagine this board if we hire him, he kills it here in Year 1, and then the USC job opens that same year?

I do think he has been coaching in the Southeast ever since he left USC because he realizes this is the highest level of college football. I honestly don't think he would leave again for that. The NFL on the other hand...

I do think he has been coaching in the Southeast ever since he left USC because he realizes this is the highest level of college football. I honestly don't think he would leave again for that. The NFL on the other hand...
My ex cheated on me. But I started hooking up again with her and she left her old boyfriend. She's faithful and will won't ever leave again.

IMO, the panic hire of Dooley after Kiffin left was more damaging than Kiffin leaving. The 13+ year cluster we've been in has a variety of causes, but the single biggest reason it has gotten as bad as it has was the Dooley hire. There were things we could have done at the time to mitigate it - go with an interim coach for the 2010 season and have a full year to find someone, could have hired Cut, but we hired Dooley.

2010 was when we started to leave "Man, Tennessee is struggling" territory and began entering "Man, Tennessee is a joke and embarrassing" territory. And we've been there ever since.

If one is objective, Fulmer's firing didn't start UT's downward spiral, and it wasn't Kiffin's leaving that torpedoed the program. It was UT making a bad hire afterward. There were better options available.

Nobody has done less with more than Pruitt, though.
Timeline on knowing if Pruitt is back or not? Seems we should know something concrete one way or another.

If one is objective, Fulmer's firing didn't start UT's downward spiral, and it wasn't Kiffin's leaving that torpedoed the program. It was UT making a bad hire afterward. There were better options available.

Nobody has done less with more than Pruitt, though.

We needed to write off 2010 and roll with Kippy as the interim and have a full 10 months to find the right coach for 2011 and beyond. Panic hiring Dooley is still such a shockingly bad decision.

I am no prophet. And I certainly am just like the rest of you...I care about all things TN. I’m here to give you hope that there are some folks who are fed up with this administration and staff and that same group is working on trying to put together something where the juice will be worth the squeeze. Very influential folks are involved in this process..you can choose to believe or you can choose not to...that’s up to you.
tenor.gif

The season is going to play out while other things play out internally. No matter the outcome of aTm, it was going to be that way.
If that's the case and it takes us into mid to late Jan. Just guarantee Pruitt next year, but make a statement that puts him on the hot seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back