Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we shouldn’t hold him to standards bc our administration has run such piss poor programs? The standards shouldn’t change….. they should have been the same when Wade Houston was here winning 5 games( I was at every single home game that year) as it is now….. Basketball is a tournament sport and that is how coaches and programs are judged…. That would be like saying bc we haven’t won anything in 15 years that an SEC championship isn’t our goal….. That being said…. No, I don’t want him fired if he loses in the first round but there is nuance allowed in these discussions.
To be fair, I don’t think winning the SEC is our goal as a football team anymore. At least not for the foreseeable future

Reactions: VolByLaw
I think we can pick off auburn at home here coming up. They aren’t a great shooting team Especially from 3… Play solid ball with the crowd I think we get it done but it’ll be difficult no doubt. I think the toughest game remaining is at Arkansas. Now that’s a tough place to play. Get by them and its go time

Barnes is at his best when he has time to develop his players. Hopefully, some of these guys understand this and hang around at least 3 years.

Agreed, if BHH, Aidoo, ZZ, Powell, Mashack, Q all stick around for 3 or 4 years we'll see a few more years of this level of success as well.

Yep, completely agree. Santi rushing over to help up Fulky is typical. Hell to their credit the KY bench weren't even being a-holes. But then that little POS decides to hop up and try to block Santi? Like wth
Another thing I have not seen discussed is that Ware kinda shoved Fulky as he was running after the ball. It is as clear as day on the replay.

Another thing I have not seen discussed is that Ware kinda shoved Fulky as he was running after the ball. It is as clear as day on the replay.

Yeah most of that is expected in a rivalry game. Ware gave him a shove (didn't like getting that ball flung at 'em I'm sure) and then the Kentucky bench kind of helped Fulky to the floor. All of that I "get" and expect, it's not exactly good sportsmanship but it happens.

A S&C coach who SHOULD be a professional bowing up on a player trying to help up his teammate though was over the line. Truthfully if I was the HC I would have sent that staffer back to the locker room.

Public apology to John Fulkerson as I posted a couple of games ago he had significantly regressed over the past two years. Last couple of games has proved this comment false as he has elevated his play and is a key contributor to the success of this team. Evidenced by his desire to come off the bench versus returning to a starting role since the injury to OKN. Very few players in today's game would make that choice and no one can question his commitment and love for the team and the Big Orange
You trying to tell me Fulkerson has a crush on me? I'm flattered.

That should always be the goal…. If it’s not then you are setting yourself up for failure.
the opposite is true right now. Having those expectations in the climate were in/trying to escape won’t happen. I’d say 5 years should be the timeline to get to where expecting those results is reasonable

the opposite is true right now. Having those expectations in the climate were in/trying to escape won’t happen. I’d say 5 years should be the timeline to get to where expecting those results is reasonable
Nah…. I guarantee that was JH goal this year and will be again next year….. it’s the difference between some of our coaches that claimed the first year was year zero…. Pruitt claiming he needed different players to win….. JH came in and said we will win with what we have…. No excuses…. We didn’t reach our goal but I’m sure they will stay hungry and try again to reach it this year.

So we shouldn’t hold him to standards bc our administration has run such piss poor programs? The standards shouldn’t change….. they should have been the same when Wade Houston was here winning 5 games( I was at every single home game that year) as it is now….. Basketball is a tournament sport and that is how coaches and programs are judged…. That would be like saying bc we haven’t won anything in 15 years that an SEC championship isn’t our goal….. That being said…. No, I don’t want him fired if he loses in the first round but there is nuance allowed in these discussions.

Whatever standards you may have for Tennessee basketball; Rick Barnes surpasses them immensely. We got screwed against Purdue and lost on a buzzer beater against Loyola. Both of those teams were Final 4 quality with the right draw and some luck, we clearly just didn't have the luck either year. The team this year is a step behind those 2 but with some luck and continued improvement, they can make it there.

I think Mashack, Q, Powell, will all improve. Aidoo, BHH, Uros & Tamba will all improve too.

ZZ, Santi, James also gonna be good any improvement from them is gravy.

And I think Edwards will be a baller himself.

If Bailey leaves we can add another as well.

Really think Aidoo, Mash, and BHH will take a huge step next season, we need them to do so... I also think Powell will improve with a year under his belt here, i think with him it is all mental/self-confidence.

Uros, even though I love him, is the only one that I think is going to struggle to improve. He still doesn't seem comfortable out there, not knowing what to do... With his physicals, he could be dominating... but he still plays like Jane. Someone needs to get ahold of him in the offseason and do some personal coaching/development/spatial awareness, because he could be good. Haven't seen him win a single tip-off this season and seems to give up on the rebound too quick
Chandler definitely needs another year. I say that from some of his inconsistency and also being selfish because another season with him could be crazy.

They definitely rose to the challenge last night and played lights out... crazy to see us control and win like that, even when we missed so many easy lay-ups... I think at one point the announcer said we'd missed 6-7 at the rim...

Arky will be an interesting game to watch and measure where we are right now... coming off this impressive performance and win, we could have the "hangover" and lay an egg like some teams do on the road at the next game... Arky is dangerous and improving...

To be fair, I don’t think winning the SEC is our goal as a football team anymore. At least not for the foreseeable future
What is it then - to go 8-4 and a decent bowl game?

Once Tennessee is able to get its feet under it as a program (we aren't there yet), I still think a goal for the program is winning the East once every 3-4 years.

Really think Aidoo, Mash, and BHH will take a huge step next season, we need them to do so... I also think Powell will improve with a year under his belt here, i think with him it is all mental/self-confidence.

Uros, even though I love him, is the only one that I think is going to struggle to improve. He still doesn't seem comfortable out there, not knowing what to do... With his physicals, he could be dominating... but he still plays like Jane. Someone needs to get ahold of him in the offseason and do some personal coaching/development/spatial awareness, because he could be good. Haven't seen him win a single tip-off this season and seems to give up on the rebound too quick
Chandler definitely needs another year. I say that from some of his inconsistency and also being selfish because another season with him could be crazy.

They definitely rose to the challenge last night and played lights out... crazy to see us control and win like that, even when we missed so many easy lay-ups... I think at one point the announcer said we'd missed 6-7 at the rim...

Arky will be an interesting game to watch and measure where we are right now... coming off this impressive performance and win, we could have the "hangover" and lay an egg like some teams do on the road at the next game... Arky is dangerous and improving...

Agreed on Chandler. I also don't think him being here another year will absolutely improve his draft stock, but a 2nd year in SEC play with Barnes would make him a better player without a doubt.

Santi is a great example, he's become a very consistent player in year 3 @ Texas being the only game where he failed to score 5+ points and they were outright doing everything to prevent him from even really getting the ball...

Agreed. We can cement ourselves as second in the east for now. Then we have to catch Georgia slipping in recruiting and on the field. That's my expectation personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back