Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Public apology to John Fulkerson as I posted a couple of games ago he had significantly regressed over the past two years. Last couple of games has proved this comment false as he has elevated his play and is a key contributor to the success of this team. Evidenced by his desire to come off the bench versus returning to a starting role since the injury to OKN. Very few players in today's game would make that choice and no one can question his commitment and love for the team and the Big Orange
You never know how much a person has inside and how much they can pull from their heart.

To be fair, I don’t think winning the SEC is our goal as a football team anymore. At least not for the foreseeable future
The football team should always have the goal of winning every game and championship available to them each year. The fan base, on the other hand, should set realistic expectations.

On Expectations and Coaching Hires

I've started thinking about these things like investments, and yeah this is kinda cheesy. Your goal is to turn your money into $1M, so you hire an investor to help you do this.

You're middle class and have a couple thousand a year you can invest. It's irrational to think your investor can make you $1M next year. Or in 5 years. You have to be realistic.

Butch was a "dollar by dollar" type of investor. Give him every spare dollar you got, and eventually he's gonna get you where you want to go. You made a lot of gains, but the market fluctuated, he panicked, pulled money out at the wrong times and lost you money. You fired him and took what you had left.

You hired Pruitt. "I've made people millions in the past, I can do it with you too." You gave him your money. "I can't turn this into a million?! Give me more!" But all you have is what you got. He's mad, called you stupid and poor, and said, "I'll see what I can do." He's used to turning $500k into a million, not $10k. So he starts violating some laws, insider trading, etc. Everyone gets in trouble and you lose a little more money.

Ole JH comes in. Says, "I can work with whatever you got." You've now got less than what you started with Butch. His goal is to simply get the most out of what you have every year, and build off that the next year. He wants to get you a million as fast as he can, and he may stumble every now and then, but he's going to play the market as best he can to make gains. Might get big gains next year, and modest gains the year after. As long as you've got more than when you started, you should probably just trust the methods.

But again, you can't expect $1M next year. Or the year after. It's still the primary end-goal, but expecting it every year is a set-up for disappointment. Your expectation should be to finish next year with more than you had this year.

In football, "improvement" doesn't necessarily directly = wins, but talent on the roster, outcome of the season, discipline, and how the team plays (i.e. mistake-free, like a unit, energy, etc).

A recent report that 2023's No. 1 recruit Arch Manning is down to two schools is not true, his father Cooper told 247Sports on Wednesday.

In fact, because of regime changes at a few SEC schools, you can add two more programs to the mix for the five-star quarterback: Florida and nearby LSU.

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Manning still has a keen eye on Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss and Texas, schools he visited during the summer and returned for games during the fall. It's a good bet that those four plus the twosome of LSU and Florida will get Manning on campus in the spring or summer.

triple-h-disgusted.gif

At this point I just want him to go to Texas.

To be fair, I don’t think winning the SEC is our goal as a football team anymore. At least not for the foreseeable future

Expectations and goals are different.

The players and coaches goal should always be to win championships. Period.

Us as fans can manage realistic expectations and realize we are probably a few years away from really competing for that.

Agreed on Chandler. I also don't think him being here another year will absolutely improve his draft stock, but a 2nd year in SEC play with Barnes would make him a better player without a doubt.

Santi is a great example, he's become a very consistent player in year 3 @ Texas being the only game where he failed to score 5+ points and they were outright doing everything to prevent him from even really getting the ball...

I agree. Chandler will all depend on his draft assessment. IF he can improve it significantly he should come back to complete the development, especially with NIL. Santi really did have a Year Zero. That first year when he started playing in January when he had no summer or fall with the team really should not count in judging his performance. So really this is his second full season and the progression he has made is terrific IMO.

On Expectations and Coaching Hires

I've started thinking about these things like investments, and yeah this is kinda cheesy. Your goal is to turn your money into $1M, so you hire an investor to help you do this.

You're middle class and have a couple thousand a year you can invest. It's irrational to think your investor can make you $1M next year. Or in 5 years. You have to be realistic.

Butch was a "dollar by dollar" type of investor. Give him every spare dollar you got, and eventually he's gonna get you where you want to go. You made a lot of gains, but the market fluctuated, he panicked, pulled money out at the wrong times and lost you money. You fired him and took what you had left.

You hired Pruitt. "I've made people millions in the past, I can do it with you too." You gave him your money. "I can't turn this into a million?! Give me more!" But all you have is what you got. He's mad, called you stupid and poor, and said, "I'll see what I can do." He's used to turning $500k into a million, not $10k. So he starts violating some laws, insider trading, etc. Everyone gets in trouble and you lose a little more money.

Ole JH comes in. Says, "I can work with whatever you got." You've now got less than what you started with Butch. His goal is to simply get the most out of what you have every year, and build off that the next year. He wants to get you a million as fast as he can, and he may stumble every now and then, but he's going to play the market as best he can to make gains. Might get big gains next year, and modest gains the year after. As long as you've got more than when you started, you should probably just trust the methods.

But again, you can't expect $1M next year. Or the year after. It's still the primary end-goal, but expecting it every year is a set-up for disappointment. Your expectation should be to finish next year with more than you had this year.

In football, "improvement" doesn't necessarily directly = wins, but talent on the roster, outcome of the season, discipline, and how the team plays (i.e. mistake-free, like a unit, energy, etc).
Apt.

Reactions: SoilVol
It takes great guard play to advance in the tournament. We have 3 great guards.

If Aidoo is as real as last night looked, and Uros and Fulk can stay healthy, and we've got our guards zooming around the perimeter. With veteran leadership in Vescovi and Fulky, the fearless spirit and tenacity that ZZ brings, and the star power of Chandler...

We might mess around and do something.

We haven't shifted into 5th yet, and we might have a 6th gear that we don't know about.

One game Powell is going to turn into the sniper from Saving Private Ryan and knock down like 10 3's while methodically reciting his shooter's scripture.

Before I would have said eliminated in first or 2nd round but with how this team has played the last 9 games and proven it isn’t a fluke this is a very dangerous team. Rob Dauster said last night one of the key metrics in basketball has TN as a top 15 offense during our current run since Ky loss. Combine that with a defense that can put clamps on at any given time and it’s run by 2 legit PG and Vescovi. Dauster said this team playing like this can get into Final Four. I agree. You have to have elite guard play and defense in tournaments. That lineup with ZZ/KC/SV/JJ is lethal on both ends of the floor. The ball movement with that group is ridiculously fast and hard to defend. Ziegler is becoming the closer. When teams try to come back and we need a play he makes it every time to extend lead

Whatever standards you may have for Tennessee basketball; Rick Barnes surpasses them immensely. We got screwed against Purdue and lost on a buzzer beater against Loyola. Both of those teams were Final 4 quality with the right draw and some luck, we clearly just didn't have the luck either year. The team this year is a step behind those 2 but with some luck and continued improvement, they can make it there.
My minimum goal is an elite eight appearance…. I’m sure Rick Barnes goal is a National Championship….why does this site go to such extremes….. one side wants to fire the coach…. The other side gets upset over wanting to set big goals…. We did have it set up the year Loyola made it…. They made it in big part bc of all the upsets in our region…. They didn’t beat anyone higher than a 6 seed beside us…. They beat a mediocre 9 seed Kansas State team in the elite eight…. It doesn’t mean I wanted Barnes fired bc of that season but it was disappointing.

My minimum goal is an elite eight appearance…. I’m sure Rick Barnes goal is a National Championship….why does this site go to such extremes….. one side wants to fire the coach…. The other side gets upset over wanting to set big goals…. We did have it set up the year Loyola made it…. They made it in big part bc of all the upsets in our region…. They didn’t beat anyone higher than a 6 seed beside us…. They beat a mediocre 9 seed Kansas State team in the elite eight…. It doesn’t mean I wanted Barnes fired bc of that season but it was disappointing.

I just think we're moving the goal posts if an elite 8 is your standard. When I was a freshman, Cuonzo was the head coach and my goal/standard was to just get in the tourney so we have a chance at winning anything meaningful. Final 4 is my ultimate goal for basketball but I'll never complain about not meeting expectations when we go to the tourney every year and we at least have a chance at that. A first-round bounce this year and I would say we did not meet expectations but March is always tough.

I have a picture of Mt Moran from Oxbow Bend there in Grand Teton NP that I always want to post as a joke...but only the very few people who've been there would get it. We usually stay in a cabin at Colter Bay right up hwy 89 from Moran Junction.
View attachment 434432
Been there…..and it’s just freaking beautiful

Dude tries to check Santi, but didn't get rowdy until ZZ showed up. They always wanna try the smallest one don't they?

UK arrogance. You can do that on your home court but not on your opponents'. Only Kentucky would be so entitled that they didn't realize the difference. And as an aside, dude wants to fight Zakai because he forgets that a young man at the apex of fitness and at the absolute peak of his body is every bit as dangerous as a loaded gun -- doesn't matter how tall he is. Hell, a lot of times the smaller ones are the ones you want to watch in a fight because they've been in far more fights growing up and know exactly what they're doing. (Kids don't tend to pick on the guy who was over 6 ft. in middle school but they do pick on those who are either regular size or small).

I just think we're moving the goal posts if an elite 8 is your standard. When I was a freshman, Cuonzo was the head coach and my goal/standard was to just get in the tourney so we have a chance at winning anything meaningful. Final 4 is my ultimate goal for basketball but I'll never complain about not meeting expectations when we go to the tourney every year and we at least have a chance at that. A first-round bounce this year and I would say we did not meet expectations but March is always tough.

Cuonzo threw away some good teams. He should have made the tournament 3 years in a row. Finally made it by way of play-in game and got lucky that our region got crazy with upsets. Paved the way for the Sweet 16. Credit to him to get there, but man did he underachieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back