Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. As far as I know (and granted, no research and very much hyperbole), no one has ever been ranked #1 in every single category. If our pitching staff is throwing BBs and breakers like they are, and our (stickered) bats are still putting up points like they have been, them I'm ok with a boot erry now and then. Not ideal, I know, and also I know the "let's wait until we play a real team" crowd, but dang....walking into Oxford and Nashville and having to use our brooms to get out, I think I'm ok with that.
They have made some pretty bad errors, but today was very solid. Error free and made several nice plays.

Two things that could automatically improve for the Vols
1 Pass Rush… (very obvious)
2 Short yardage against good teams like bammer, gata and georgia. Way way too many drives stalled out vs those 3 because we got absolutely dominated up front in short yardage many times. I think we’ll see solid progress in those areas

They have made some pretty bad errors, but today was very solid. Error free and made several nice plays.
Bad errors, I agree, but worse for us BVSers, I think. That's the great thing about this team...they are there for each other and pick each other up. Again, not saying it's ideal, but it's working very, very well for them (us) so far.

But do baseball teams even really peak and drop all that much, compared to, say, football or basketball? Developing team chemistry is so important in football and basketball and can be developed throughout the season...so that late season teams come about.

In baseball, I get individual players can develop and some will go on hot streaks or cold streaks...but there doesn't seem to be a strong reason to suddenly drop off or get passed by others, except injuries. If we were on a heater the first 5 or 10 games, I'd get it. But 20+ games in, this is who we are. This isn't just good variance. But who knows, maybe we'll get better too 😎
You don't have to look any further than last year and the Braves to see that's not true. And they aren't an exception; it happens frequently.

Last edited:
Your barn looks like **** then.
nod-alright.gif

Bad errors, I agree, but worse for us BVSers, I think. That's the great thing about this team...they are there for each other and pick each other up. Again, not saying it's ideal, but it's working very, very well for them (us) so far.
Totally agree and clearly those errors have not hurt us too badly because we are 27-1.

Eye-catchers from the Elite 11 Atlanta Regional

Class of ‘24
Lipscomb Academy (Tenn.) quarterback Braden Graham improved throughout the day, as he was one of the better performers in the second half of the event. The Tennessee native looked sharp when in the pocket, displaying refined mechanics and an accurate ball. Graham holds offers from Kentucky, Georgia, and Ole Miss among others.

Two things that could automatically improve for the Vols
1 Pass Rush… (very obvious)
2 Short yardage against good teams like bammer, gata and georgia. Way way too many drives stalled out vs those 3 because we got absolutely dominated up front in short yardage many times. I think we’ll see solid progress in those areas
Short yardage is always going to be a tradeoff with this offense...at least until we have truly dominant O linemen.

Eye-catchers from the Elite 11 Atlanta Regional

Class of ‘24
Lipscomb Academy (Tenn.) quarterback Braden Graham improved throughout the day, as he was one of the better performers in the second half of the event. The Tennessee native looked sharp when in the pocket, displaying refined mechanics and an accurate ball. Graham holds offers from Kentucky, Georgia, and Ole Miss among others.

Trent Dilfer is going to be a heck of an OC someday. I just hope it is not in the SEC. I listened to him break down Mariota on the zone one day. The guy is a guru.

Has it ever been told why Cafego hated Vandy so much?

Just found this……….
Let us remember the late, great Tennessee Volunteer, one of the genuine good guys who gave more than he got, an all-American, No. 1 pro draft choice and Hall of Fame honoree.
Please join me in a moment of silent reflection on this fiercely loyal player and assistant coach – who turned into a flame-throwing dragon at the mere mention of Vanderbilt.
Thank you.
Cafego never did like Vanderbilt. He called it Harvard make-believe.
He mostly despised the Commodores. He and they were polar opposites. He grew up in poverty. He resented their silver-spoon birthright and nose-in-air elitism.
Sometimes, when he thought about it, he just plain hated them. History says that started in ’37, when Vandy star Carl Hinkle slammed George to the ground, injured his knee, mocked the grimace and pain and told trainers to haul him away.
“He’s finished.”
After that, all Vanderbilters were guilty by association.
Incidentally, George wasn’t finished. Vandy didn’t score when he was a junior and senior tailback and safety. Vandy won three times in his 30 years as an assistant under Bowden Wyatt, Jim McDonald, Doug Dickey, Bill Battle and John Majors.
Cafego’s animosity made him a natural motivator, spirited cheerleader and sparkplug – guaranteed to light a fire. His pregame pep talks were legendary. You can only imagine.

Trent Dilfer is going to be a heck of an OC someday. I just hope it is not in the SEC. I listened to him break down Mariota on the zone one day. The guy is a guru.
Unfortunately he coaches against my Alma Mater each year:mad:

He’s good at what he does, and is a really good man.

Reactions: ugg
Has it ever been told why Cafego hated Vandy so much?
Read up on this a little. He hated them because they were big rivals in the late 30s. Cafego also grew up in poverty and hated them because they thought they were privileged. Here is a quote from an article. He called them Harvard Make Believe.

He mostly despised the Commodores. He and they were polar opposites. He grew up in poverty. He resented their silver-spoon birthright and nose-in-air elitism.

Sometimes, when he thought about it, he just plain hated them. History says that started in ’37, when Vandy star Carl Hinkle slammed George to the ground, injured his knee, mocked the grimace and pain and told trainers to haul him away.

“He’s finished.”

Incidentally, George wasn’t finished. Vandy didn’t score when he was a junior and senior tailback and safety. Vandy won three times in his 30 years as an assistant under Bowden Wyatt, Jim McDonald, Doug Dickey, Bill Battle and John Majors.

Just found this……….
Let us remember the late, great Tennessee Volunteer, one of the genuine good guys who gave more than he got, an all-American, No. 1 pro draft choice and Hall of Fame honoree.
Please join me in a moment of silent reflection on this fiercely loyal player and assistant coach – who turned into a flame-throwing dragon at the mere mention of Vanderbilt.
Thank you.
Cafego never did like Vanderbilt. He called it Harvard make-believe.
“He’s finished.”
Cafego’s animosity made him a natural motivator, spirited cheerleader and sparkplug – guaranteed to light a fire. His pregame pep talks were legendary. You can only imagine.
Lol, great minds think alike.

I’m not typically a fan of women’s sports but I’d like to give a big shout out to Aliyah Boston who plays for the SC Gamecocks. Aliyah is from the US Virgin Islands and our entire community has followed her path closely. She showed up big in the championship game with 11 points, 16 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 blocks. I know her family is celebrating strong right now!

1649039659847.jpeg

I’m not typically a fan of women’s sports but I’d like to give a big shout out to Aliyah Boston who plays for the SC Gamecocks. Aliyah is from the US Virgin Islands and our entire community has followed her path closely. She showed up big in the championship game with 11 points, 16 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 blocks. I know her family is celebrating strong right now!

View attachment 444800
Anyone who beats UConn is a-ok in my book!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back