Recruiting Forum Football Talk LVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems to be setting up similarly to Butch’s first 2 classes. Get in on some big names late but ultimately come in 2nd place. Then the next class is loaded with in-state/legacy talent (no legacies that I know of next year but a ton of in-state talent). Start to sell immediate playing time and being a part of rebuilding a historic program and you probably sign a top 5 class.

Bingo. I have this exact conversation almost weekly in Atlanta. I meet Vols fans all the time and we say the same thing. Just had this conversation yesterday in fact.

To be honest it may be what the program needs. A coach that can labor in relative obscurity for a few years and build something without the pressure of fan expectations.

I think whatever apathy that arises will be matched by an equal level of antipathy. And that isn't good for anyone, especially Pruitt.

UT isn't going to like it when the bills come due for it's years of mismanagement. I really hope Pruitt can dig this thing out of the ditch.

There's quite a bit of apathy among donors. That's why UTAD is floating the idea of raising ticket prices. Capital gifts covered the last reno. This time, donors aren't buying in to the same promises.

There's quite a bit of apathy among donors. That's why UTAD is floating the idea of raising ticket prices. Capital gifts covered the last reno. This time, donors aren't buying in to the same promises.

As I said, UT is not going to like it when their bills come due.

Reactions: 1 person
I’m telling you guys to buckle up. The 2018 season is going to be just as bumpy a ride as this recruiting cycle. I can see that coming a mile away....

If it's not significantly better than last year we've hired the wrong coach.

Well, we can't all be as awesome as you, that's for sure.

I’m not awesome imo. I just haven’t suffered as much as you and your staunch VFL family. You’ve taken as much as you can take and owe it to yourselves to remove this burden from your lives. I’d appreciate the elbow room myself. After the Sugar Bowl Vol season I thought we had finally arrived. Wasn’t expecting a NC every other season, but did anticipate my Vols would be a regular factor in that conversation. Dud year after dud year followed up to a 5 win clunker. Then Majors rebooted and we have a team that most likely wins at least one NC if we had a playoff system BUT there was always that Bama or Spurrier Gator team that kept us lacking. We couldn’t win with Shuler or Manning so way too logical to think that “it’s never going to happen”. Luckily we had the team and coaches that swung that pickaxe and drilled just a foot further and hit gold and oil. We had VFL’s like you and your family cheering that NC. They found their way back but it was kind of nice not hearing them being defeated as our team went every game without being so. You could have a credible psychic guarantee we never have another winning season and this would still be my team. I don’t deserve an award. It’s not me being a sunshine pumper or not having high expectations. I just ain’t going to be a fan of another school because I think I deserve more.

Reactions: 11 people
I’m not awesome imo. I just haven’t suffered as much as you and your staunch VFL family. You’ve taken as much as you can take and owe it to yourselves to remove this burden from your lives. I’d appreciate the elbow room myself. After the Sugar Bowl Vol season I thought we had finally arrived. Wasn’t expecting a NC every other season, but did anticipate my Vols would be a regular factor in that conversation. Dud year after dud year followed up to a 5 win clunker. Then Majors rebooted and we have a team that most likely wins at least one NC if we had a playoff system BUT there was always that Bama or Spurrier Gator team that kept us lacking. We couldn’t win with Shuler or Manning so way too logical to think that “it’s never going to happen”. Luckily we had the team and coaches that swung that pickaxe and drilled just a foot further and hit gold and oil. We had VFL’s like you and your family cheering that NC. They found their way back but it was kind of nice not hearing them being defeated as our team went every game without being so. You could have a credible psychic guarantee we never have another winning season and this would still be my team. I don’t deserve an award. It’s not me being a sunshine pumper or not having high expectations. I just ain’t going to be a fan of another school because I think I deserve more.

There are more straw men in this post than in all the cornfields of Kansas.

Been saying it for a while their formula was a ponzi scheme. It was going to crash and burn at some point. They better hope Pruitt is a home run because if not I'm not sure it will recover.

Reactions: 2 people
Been saying it for a while their formula was a ponzi scheme. It was going to crash and burn at some point. They better hope Pruitt is a home run because if not I'm not sure it will recover.

We win and everyone will be there to witness it.

You misspelled analogies. Common mistake with wheat people. :eek:k:

I never said anything about what I felt I "deserved." I don't deserve anything. I never suggested I was running off to be a fan of another team. I decided to join into a conversation about growing apathy by intimating that I, and others, are burned out from all the losing.

You could have moved on or perhaps contributed constructively, but -- as I have noticed you are wont to do -- decided to chime in and suggest that I'm inferior (by misusing an analogy -- it's "chaff," not "chaffe," and it's a noun, not a verb. You don't "chaff out" inferior wheat, you separate wheat from chaff), and then talk about what a good fan you are because of all the tough times you've been through.

It's a game. It's not like you went through a war.

Reactions: 5 people

Yep. Field of Dreams strategies work best in Hollywood.

Good news is, fans don't get all riled up like they used to. Bad news is, they don't care like they used to, either.

If we somehow miss on some of our big fish tomorrow, I can almost see guys posting about Pruitt staying with Bama for their championship run. They will say he should have been at Tennessee building relationships. Gotta put the blame somewhere :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Every time I come back here to lurk and catch up on minutia, there's some sort of "I'm smarter than you" or "I'm a better Vol fan than you" spat. I swear, y'all.

Which do you really think is more likely.....

We have a team FULL of busts. All those highly rated kids just suck

Or

While maybe not as much talented as we thought, the real problem with the roster is extreme lack of development and horrible coaching
I honestly don't know, and I really do hope it is the latter, but it has been a looooong time since any hope I had for the Vols has been fulfilled, so forgive me if I err on the side of pessimism.

I never said anything about what I felt I "deserved." I don't deserve anything. I never suggested I was running off to be a fan of another team. I decided to join into a conversation about growing apathy by intimating that I, and others, are burned out from all the losing.

You could have moved on or perhaps contributed constructively, but -- as I have noticed you are wont to do -- decided to chime in and suggest that I'm inferior (by misusing an analogy -- it's "chaff," not "chaffe," and it's a noun, not a verb. You don't "chaff out" inferior wheat, you separate wheat from chaff), and then talk about what a good fan you are because of all the tough times you've been through.

It's a game. It's not like you went through a war.

I say chaffe...AND use it as a verb, my thing. :) I never bragged about my fan level because it would be akin to grading myself as an excellent driver by merely not killing anyone. And speaking of “straw man” I don’t regard history of the team I fan for as PERSONAL tough times...just the WAY THINGS ARE. Like your “war” reference. Thought I heard the faint tune of the Platoon Elias scene music when you were describing your VFL brother. You have every right to regale us with how apathetic you and your family are and I have every right to state how many ***** I don’t give about your family. :hi:

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back