Recruiting Forum Football Talk LVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things tend to average out in the long run.

I agree. I was just thinking aloud what I hope doesn't happen. If they can come out in the second half shooting better than the first I believe they will pull away. But its never easy at UK.

Ok so 1 guy makes a class? Sorry, absolutely not. JJ Peterson is on the same level as Walker. Peterson, Taylor, Emerson, Carvin etc are all stellar pickups. Especially considering the unique situation Pruitt was in.

We have a brand new coaching staff. The fact that we were very competitive with all of these high profile recruits is very encouraging. Considering the season we just had, its foolish to think CJP was going to come in here and beat out Smart and Saban for elite recruits. I honestly believe many Vol fans have put unrealistic and insane expectations on this coaching staff. Its really sad that you cannot see how successful this class actually is.

No offense, but didn't you carry Butch's water for years, saying pretty much this same stuff?

Reactions: 1 person
Ok so 1 guy makes a class? Sorry, absolutely not. JJ Peterson is on the same level as Walker. Peterson, Taylor, Emerson, Carvin etc are all stellar pickups. Especially considering the unique situation Pruitt was in.

We have a brand new coaching staff. The fact that we were very competitive with all of these high profile recruits is very encouraging. Considering the season we just had, its foolish to think CJP was going to come in here and beat out Smart and Saban for elite recruits. I honestly believe many Vol fans have put unrealistic and insane expectations on this coaching staff. Its really sad that you cannot see how successful this class actually is.

This class is meh, not horrible, but definitely not a great success. I agree with a most of what you say, you however have misunderstood me a lot tonight.

Finishing in the upper teens or lower 20s is not a success at Tennessee. Can you win championships with classes like that? No. Peterson appears to be a stud, but he doesn't make this class a success overall. Jeremy Pruitt would likely tell you that this class isn't a success. Why? Because he knows that in order to compete on the highest level you have to stack elite classes on top of one another.

I agree. I was just thinking aloud what I hope doesn't happen. If they can come out in the second half shooting better than the first I believe they will pull away. But its never easy at UK.

When was the last time we won at Rupp? Was it during Pearl's tenure?

It would be so awesome to see Rick Barnes stick that feather in his cap.

Reactions: 1 person
Finishing in the upper teens or lower 20s is not a success at Tennessee. Can you win championships with classes like that? No. Peterson appears to be a stud, but he doesn't make this class a success overall. Jeremy Pruitt would likely tell you that this class isn't a success. Why? Because he knows that in order to compete on the highest level you have to stack elite classes on top of one another.

It's not a success in as a snapshot, but if Pruitt and Co. show they can develop players and win some games this season, 2019 will be a lot different.

Fulmer's 2008 class was ranked outside the top 25 coming off an SEC title game appearance, and had he not been fired, his 2009 class was set to be ranked top 3 (maybe top overall).

Signing day is not a time to panic, generally speaking. I want to see what the new staff can do.

Reactions: 2 people

I guarantee you that JP is going to feel gut punched if it goes like it is looking right now. He is too much of a competitor.

It's not a success in as a snapshot, but if Pruitt and Co. show they can develop players and win some games this season, 2019 will be a lot different.

Fulmer's 2008 class was ranked outside the top 25 coming off an SEC title game appearance, and had he not been fired, his 2009 class was set to be ranked top 3 (maybe top overall).

Signing day is not a time to panic, generally speaking. I want to see what the new staff can do.

I'd agree. This next 2019 class at the very least needs to be in the top 10, probably the top 5. Stacking classes of that caliber is absolutely a must to be able to compete with the top programs. We should have the coaching and developing end of it where it needs to be now, but those other top programs can say that too. So if we're going to compete, we have to have players just as good.

2006 I think. Only ever accomplished it like 5 or 6 times in our history.

That's crazy, especially considering we are the basketball team that has the most wins over Kentucky all-time (I know a big part of that is we play them twice every year, but still).

I'd agree. This next 2019 class at the very least needs to be in the top 10, probably the top 5. Stacking classes of that caliber is absolutely a must to be able to compete with the top programs. We should have the coaching and developing end of it where it needs to be now, but those other top programs can say that too. So if we're going to compete, we have to have players just as good.

I'll be with you in being kinda underwhelmed about the haul, but like I said, I want to see what the staff can do about the players we have now in 2018 before I make any big judgments. Maybe we can win a couple games we aren't supposed to and pick up some huge momentum going into 2019.

You think josh McDaniel changing his mind about coaching the Colts means bill is retiring and josh will coach the pats?

I'll be with you in being kinda underwhelmed about the haul, but like I said, I want to see what the staff can do about the players we have now in 2018 before I make any big judgments. Maybe we can win a couple games we aren't supposed to and pick up some huge momentum going into 2019.

Hopefully so. I think we can say for the first time in years that in every game we play outside of Bama, our coaches will be just as good if not better than the coaches we're going up against.

What is up with Josh? Could he be getting ready to coach the Patriots?

Edit: Sleegro thinking same thing.

Hi. I’m new to following recruiting heavily.

I’m not doom and gloom but I definitely feel now that I set unrealistic expectations on this recruiting class. I guess I got carried away with the number of out of nowhere blue chippers who were expressing interest early on. ITS, Copeland, etc.

Seeing that it’s the day before signing day and we’re still sending out offers for this years class, tells me we’re not gettig a lot of our prime targets. I don’t hold that against the staff. Vols were terrible, new staff, early signing period, only 22 spots available.

Truth is, I already consider this class a success based on what we accomplished in December. If we land JJ and Quay as expected, everything else is gravy.

I think in 2019, we’re going to put together a class better than any we’ve had in a while. Including the 2015 class. And unlike the 15 class, the kids will get developed.

Happy National Signing Day Eve.

As usual, I’m playing catch up here, but I’m torn between a “My man” and a “That’s bait” gif here. Guess I’ll find out over the next five pages. Having said that, I’m leaning towards a “my man” because I do appreciate the perspective in the post.

This place is insane right now. My goodness. I think it’s break time for many of us. Me included.

You are right..I'm out for awhile. I'm getting on peoples nerves and they are getting on mine. I'm just a die hard Vol fan that wants to win. We have to get elite players to do that, and we are not getting enough for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back