Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facebook started my Freshman year (2003) so we could have posted a Facebook message. The rest is sad but true ...

Ha same here. Had to dial up the TheFacebook.com, go take a piss, and come back there it was mostly loaders. No news feed, had to go to people’s pages. I remember thinking when they unveiled the news feed: “pshh who the heck cares what people are doing online?!”

My thoughts on Saturday…
1. Gotta always have eyes on Will Anderson. He’s by far their best pass rusher and maybe the best player in the country.
2. Establish the run. Even though we spread the field, the run game will still open up the passing game IMO.
3. We need consistent pressure on Bryce Young. Keep him in the pocket and don’t lose contain.
4. We gotta hit at least 2-3 passes of 30-40 yards for touchdowns.
5. Field position. Special teams is gonna play a big role in this game IMO. Make our field goals but also make the field long for Bama.
6. Bend but don’t break. Bama is gonna have their moments on offense, but we need to make the plays necessary to stay in the game.
7. We need to keep the Bama RB’s inside the tackles. We’ve done well against runs up the middle, but not so much in the outside.

All in all, I think we actually matchup well against Bama. Their OL isn’t as good as it has been, and our DL has been playing really well. Offense is gonna score points, so I think it all hinges on our bend but don’t break defense.

Either way, I’ll be at the game and I’m gonna relish in the moment win or lose. I’m 37 and these type of games don’t come along often. All you younger fellas, enjoy it. I was 13 in 1998 and thought we’d always be a contender.

Last edited:
I’d rather play against an injured Bryce than Milroe. He’ll look like Lamar Jackson against us.
giphy.gif

Ha same here. Had to dial up the TheFacebook.com, go take a piss, and come back there it was mostly loaders. No news feed, had to go to people’s pages. I remember thinking when they unveiled the news feed: “pshh who the heck cares what people are doing online?!”

I remember seeing all of the colleges that everyone's friends went to. "Poking" people. Posting on their walls. Then a few years later the mass uploads of drunk party pics where everyone looked like a ghost because they were washed out by the overpowered flashes on the digital cameras everyone toted around.

Tennessee Offense vs Alabama Defense

Much has been said about a strength on strength matchup this weekend looked at some stats between UT offense vs the Bama defense.

- Bama D is good but does not create many turnovers, in fact one of the worst in the nation with 3 all year, ranking 128 out of 130. Our offense is top quartile with only losing 5 all year.

Prediction: Don't expect Bama to get any TO's this game.

- What Bama does well is get off the field, forcing almost punts and 4th down stops every 3 out of 4 drives, giving their opponents 1 every 4 chances a game to score, one of the best around. What we do very well? We score 3 out of 4 offensive drives and went bonkers vs UF and LSU scoring on 9 out of every 10 drives. Guess what? One of the best in the nation.

Prediction: This is truly strength on strength and I think with home cooking we score 6 of 10 drives.

- Bama scoring D is an entirely different ballgame who allow only 1 pt/drive, best in the nation. They are elite at home (0.6pts/drive) but meh on the road (1.88 pt/drive).

- UT scores 4.03 points every possession, 2nd best in the nation. We averaged 3.3 points/ drive against the better defenses we faced Pitt, UF and LSU (who allow an average of 1.8 pts/drive), who happen to look like Bama's D on the road. That 3.3 pt/drive average was also obtained even after turning off the afterburners in Q4.

Prediction: Another strength on strength, i think we get em for 3 points per drive

A normal game runs about 12 drives per game for each team, with the number going down for blowouts (longer drives, expending clock), and going up in tight low scoring contests (quick outs).

Prediction: Expect a war of attrition and about 13 drives per game. If we hit em for 3 per drive, that's UT scoring 39!

Is that enough to take them down? Will share some thoughts on Bama O vs UT D next and some early numbers indicate we're in better shape than we look, BY or not!
Good research. I'll be more conservative and say we score on 1/2 our drives (rather than 6/10). We averaged 11.33 drives between Pitt, UF, and LSU. Against Arky, TAMU, and Texas, Alabama defended an average of 14 drives per game. I can agree with the estimate of 13 drives.

So that puts our scoring between 19.5 (all field goals) and 45.5 pts (all touchdowns). If using a more conservative number of 2.5pts per drive, that's 32.5 pts.

Considering we are averaging 37.3ppg against P5 opponents, I think expecting 32.5 range is reasonable against a team like Alabama.

We average allowing 24.3ppg to P5 opponents. Bama averages 31 ppg against P5 (sans Vandy) and average allowing 21.6ppg (shocking our defense is only 2.7ppg worse than Bama).

Yeah... it's adding up in our favor quickly... we're going to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back