Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s funny how just a tiny bit of UT success has everyone so triggered they have to come rushing to discredit everything they are doing right now. Mainly Bama, UGA and UK fans. Love it.

We’re here.

Excuses I've seen:

Tennessee hasn't played anyone, Pitt, UF, and LSU suck, Bama was a fluke win

Heupel is gonna go to Oklahoma

The offense only works because Hooker is a Cam Newton/Joe Burrow QB

Heupel is just another Chizik/Coach O and will be fired in 3 years

The defense is so bad that we will lose out in SEC play

And then when rival fans don't have a leg to stand on, they come with "lol at UT fans being excited over a regular season win, how pathetic!"

I think the Kick Six is the single greatest college football regular season MOMENT. I think this game was the greatest regular season game.

Iron Bowl is a great rivalry game, but not most heated. Egg Bowl has statistics for most fan and team fights iirc. But the Border War between Kansas and Mizzou is bitter. The Jayhawkers were guerilla fighters who would raid and plunder western Missouri in the 1850s-1870s and fight against the Bushwackers of Missouri who were pro-slavery. It was so bad that several counties in Missouri had forced evacuations, and the Bushwackers razed towns in Kansas and burnt down Lawrence, KS in the Lawrence Massacre. University of Kansas kept their nickname. Mizzou adopted the Tigers, which was the name of the militia who defended Columbia from guerilla attacks from Jayhawkers.

The football and baseball rivalries started in the 1880s or 1890s. Basketball in early 1900s. For the first decade or more, the football sidelines would be lined with veterans of the Civil War. Confederates on the Mizzou side, Union on Kansas' side.

It didn't lose any luster through Civil Rights era and had a vitriolic resurgence in the 70s-80s. I think the nastiness was one of tge reasons Mizzou left the Big12 and the teams opted to not play regular season games in any of the 3 sports for a long time. Basketball played recently. Football will resume in 2025.
The story behind the rivalry is awesome, but neither has historically had a good football program, which I think keeps it from being one of the better rivalry games. The Egg Bowl might be the most underrated rivalry in all of college football, but like the Border War it doesn't get as much attention because neither school in the rivalry is a historically good program. If those schools cared more about football and/or were better at it, then I think you could make that argument.

The Iron Bowl has historical political causes behind the rivalry as well, plus both programs involved have had a lot of historical success. I think you need both to have a truly great rivalry.

Reactions: SoilVol
Tennessee fans need to move on from their BVS. Heupel isn’t going anywhere. We’re about to go to the playoffs in year 2 and on a decade plus run of greatness. Enjoy the ride and stop worrying about Heupel leaving! He’s going to be here a long time, folks.

I don't get he BVS of CH leaving. Please tell me where he could go that is any better than UT right now? It would be a step down to go anywhere else. He's and the staff are going to get the money. The best fan base in the entire country. The best AD in the country and the best facilities in the country. One last thing, why leave what you built up and name one other place in the country that is any better to be raised from the dead? He isn't going anywhere. VFL!! No BVS there for me.

Tennessee fans need to move on from their BVS. Heupel isn’t going anywhere. We’re about to go to the playoffs in year 2 and on a decade plus run of greatness. Enjoy the ride and stop worrying about Heupel leaving! He’s going to be here a long time, folks.
Are people also forgetting about that Heupel has already coached at Oklahoma once before as OC, was controversially fired, there allegedly is still some bad blood over it, and the guy who made that decision (Bob Stoops) is still involved and has influence there? Plus, he was only at Oklahoma for a single season. It was a hell of a season, but it was just one season. It isn't like Heupel grew up in Norman, originally committed there out of high school, played there for 4 years, etc.

Are people also forgetting about that Heupel has already coached at Oklahoma once before as OC, was controversially fired, there allegedly is still some bad blood over it, and the guy who made that decision (Bob Stoops) is still involved and has influence there? Plus, he was only at Oklahoma for a single season. It was a hell of a season, but it was just one season. It isn't like Heupel grew up in Norman, originally committed there out of high school, played there for 4 years, etc.

He was at OU for two seasons.

Heupel potentially jumping to the NFL scares me more than any college program does.

This will never get old.

And to all those Alabama fans that think this is beneath them... You're right.

You'll never know or experience the joy of cerebrating with millions of people you'll never meet, but will consider family, because we all share the experiences of the last 15 years and will cherish all the high fives, hugs, random 'go Vols'in public because someone from your unknown family saw that power t in your hat or shirt. The fist pumps and thumbs up when people drive by you on the highway because they too have a power t on their bumper or back glass.

You'll never know what it's like to get hundreds of text messages or phone calls from other friends or family just letting you know they saw the game and were thinking of you because the knew how big a deal it would be for you and your family, though they themselves had no dog in the fight.

You'll never fight back tears because you wish loved ones could have seen this. You'll never understand the pure joy of watching your kids 'get it', when for the majority of their lives they never had reason to till they, too, experienced what you did when you first became a Tennessee fan.

You will never understand. And I'm good with that.

Go Vols.
Beautiful

Heupel potentially jumping to the NFL scares me more than any college program does.

I just don't see it. Heupel really has no connection to the NFL, and he seems like a guy who revels in the atmosphere and pageantry of college football. Plus, he's having his way with opposing defenses right now and is probably about to be a $10 million man.

Judging by his reactions Id say hes having the time of his life here. But yeah, hopefully we can keep him away from the nfl because I think he would do well there

Reactions: InVOLuntary

bobsburgers-fox.gif

I just don't see it. Heupel really has no connection to the NFL, and he seems like a guy who revels in the atmosphere and pageantry of college football. Plus, he's having his way with opposing defenses right now and is probably about to be a $10 million man.
He has no connection to the NFL, but neither did Kliff Kingsbury. There has been a run on young, creative, offensive coaches in the NFL lately.

I agree that he does seem to really enjoy the unique things about college football, in contrast to KK who is on record about how he doesn't like recruiting. I think it is unlikely Heupel jumps to the NFL but that is more likely than him taking another college job.

When you are a head coach at a program like Tennessee and you have that program rolling, the only place I could envision that coach ever leaving for is one he has a close connection to. The only other college institution he has an obvious connection to is Oklahoma, and honestly as long as Stoops has influence there I'm not even sure they'd want him even if Heupel did want to go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back