Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Audible

Bruce: Alabama went down in Knoxville by the Vols. Are you shocked, surprised, enthralled?

Stewart: Enthralled would be the world. That might be the most exciting regular season football game that I've seen since Bush Push (2005). I'm sure I'm forgetting something. There's the Kick Six. But everything that went into this game. If Tennessee had beat them 10-7 it would still be just as cathartic, when you've waited that long to beat your rival. But the nature of this game. This was an elite quarterback duel. That was Bryce Young's best game of his career. He consistently wowed me, like Manziel. And he LOST. For Alabama to give up 52 points, the most since 1907. You asked if I'm shocked, I'm not shocked that they lost but I'm shocked that they gave up 52 points. Their defense came in ranked number 1 or 2, and Hendon Hooker and Tennessee did whatever they wanted. Hyatt running wide open behind DBs, Alabama committing all these penalties.

Bruce: Gave up a lot of big plays. The Texas game, they probably should have lost. A&M game they didn't look well at all, but they didn't have Young. In this game they were just reeling. They looked like they did not have any answers for Hendon Hooker and that offense. Hyatt was the other big star of the weekend. You don't ever remember seeing a guy have a game like that, as a receiver -- Cedric Tillman, by the way, their big star receiver is out. I just thought that it was an amazing day in Knoxville. That fanbase has been through A LOT. For the last 15 years dating back to Fulmer, to Kiffin breaking their heart, to the disaster of Dooley, all the way through with Pruitt. RIght here I would say, when they hired Heupel, I was like eh, but maybe this is the best they could do. They had a Chancellor talking about the NCAA scandal and Level 1 violations. People at UCF were not sad to see Heupel go. But he has really lit a spark there, he's pushed a lot of the right buttons. Hendon Hooker - he left VT where they are horrific on offense and horrific in general, goes to Tennessee. They named a street after Tee and Peyton, they may need to start looking for another one for Hendon.

Stew: It's not like he played like this at VT. He was the starter, he was ok. Man what a difference a coach and a staff makes. I'm looking back, Heupel took over for Frost and had an undefeated season, then 10-3, then 6-4. Then Tennessee with what was oging on with Pruitt and Fulmer. They bring in their new AD and then he brings in Heupel. People were not jumping up and down saying great job. He has made them relevant nationally, they are in the college football playoff mix. Hendon Hooker I think is the Heisman frontrunner.

Bruce: He should be. He's my number one guy.

Stew: The way they won, Hooker getting them down the field to set up the game winning field goal.

[they talk about Saban and Bill O Brien getting outcoached down the stretch]

Bruce: That was about as entertaining start to finish of a football game as I've seen.

Stew: the botched handoff that Alabama runs in. And they STILL LOST. All credit to Tennessee. The resilience. How many times do you see a program like that, they get their hopes up just in time to get squashed. They did it. The goalposts. The cigar smoke. The fact that they played Dixieland Delight. The Alabama home game tradition. That came on while Heupel was doing his postgame interview, I'm like oh my goodness they went there. Everything that you love about college football all wrapped up in that game.
1666239940635.gif

Can Danny White bring back the beer barrel?

If yes, he is the greatest AD of all time.

The thing is UK fans want it back as well. It's past time. We honored the kids that died and acknowledged that it was a sensitive time by removing it for a game but it should've been brought back the following year. It's been gone for too long.

The thing is UK fans want it back as well. It's past time. We honored the kids that died and acknowledged that it was a sensitive time by removing it for a game but it should've been brought back the following year. It's been gone for too long.
Haven’t missed it.

Haven’t missed it.
I never thought that much of it. I guess it's cool for tradition, but it's UK. We could just get a beer barrel and write the score on it every year. . . they don't even have to know about it, it's not like they'd ever get to take it with them anyway.

Last edited:
Super-gross-throws-up-GIF.gif
Post gets a like just for the Red Letter Media gif

there you are. do you have those 1D+TD stats?

Note: 1D+TD% is a measure of offensive efficiency. It's what % of your total offensive plays (TP) end in either a 1D or TD. This metric by design does not include any scores by defenses or special teams. It's only about offense. For example: our offense had 29 1Ds and 7 TDs in 70 plays against Alabama; their offense had 32 1Ds and 5 TDs in 83 plays against our defense. Our offensive efficiency by this metric was 51.43% against their vaunted defense; their offensive efficiency was 44.58% against our much maligned defense.

ScreenHunter 1035.png

Speaking of our defense, when Tim Banks told the Knoxville QB club that stats don't always tell the whole story it raised some eyebrows. He was being asked about our pass defense. I think maybe I've figured out his strategy. Obviously, we'd like to have improved pass coverage. Heupel even mentioned that again Wednesday night on Vol Calls but here's what I think is maybe our backup plan. We stop the run. We're 2nd in the conference behind Georgia at stopping the run (10th in the nation). Then we play redzone defense. We're 3rd in the conference for redzone defense, behind A&M and Georgia. We're 13th best in the nation for redzone defense. From there we put the game into the hands of our offense which is #1 in the conference and #1 in the nation. Obviously, so far this strategy, if it is in fact our strategy, seems to be working as we're undefeated and perched on the #3 rung of what AP sports writers consider the best teams in the land. jmo.

View attachment 503674

“a collective effort to contain their nonsense to the Sugar Bowl” 😍😍😍
These Kentucky dorks are hilarious, man. In their minds, we unfairly passed them up and are getting the accolades they think belong to them. In reality, they've always been beneath us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back