Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair.

At the same time- people can appreciate the job that the staff has done with average/depleted talent, and also be discouraged that the staff won't have more above-average/elite talent to work with.
Or will they? Revisit next season when we’re losing generational talents Ramel Keyton and Joe Milton and vexing over who we can land in the portal that can deliver the ball to Squirrel White. 😉

Or will they? Revisit next season when we’re losing generational talents Ramel Keyton and Joe Milton and vexing over who we can land in the portal that can deliver the ball to Squirrel White. 😉
Just get Hobbs and Ramil and the class is an A. I'd like to have another elite receiver and an elite RB, but this will be a great class if we finish with those 2. Normally that would have been a top 10 class, but the points for this year are out of control.

You mean that non above average talent that they have hand picked that still isn't completed that will be infused with portal talent?

Just cash me outside with recruiting criticism of this staff right now. It's plain ignorant and whiny. Look where we are and be grateful. Good grief.

Hey, you're preaching to the #1 portal fan.

I was here for the Summer of the Vols
ArtisticMilkyHyracotherium-size_restricted.gif

The staff and team have done a fine job with the Autumn of the Vols
YC01jf1B

Now I'm ready for the Winter of the Vols
winter-winter-is-coming.gif

so our baseball team was ranked number one in the spring/summer
our football team hit number one this fall
if the basketball team hits number one before 12/31, would that be the first time for all 3 sports to be number one in the same year?

i really wanted all three to be SEC champs but i'm curious of these other facts

I also will say this one thing that's always bugged me is that there is a limit on 5 stars each cycle.

They base it on roughly how many 1st round NFL players they think exist in HS (which is already dumb, bug I digress) so each year there's 30-35 or so 5 stars given out. Well anyone with a brain realizes that the system is going to miss quite a bit of 5 star talent with a flawed cutoff that's based on faulty logic.

So you have to appreciate staff that can see talent regardless of stars and also staff that can develop talent.

It's one reason I kind of think the "new ratings" for transfers guys is kind of dumb. Joe Milton for example, he was a composite 4 star .9202 outta HS and a top 250 player and top 10 pro-style QB. His production at Michigan didn't live up to expectations, but why when he transferred was he suddenly a 3 star .8400 prospect?
Hendon was the same, went from a HS 4 star .8903 to a 3 star .8200. What changed about their talent, size, etc. that was initially considered for their rating? Neither got smaller and both have improved their talent...really only production has changed. I think both are closer to their HS ratings than they are their transfer ratings, but in the game of "team rankings" taking both didn't help us since they were low rated transfers. But taking both from a culture/on the field results standpoint has helped us a ton.

Cliffs: who gives a **** as long as we're winning games?

Last edited:
SW actually has a huge crown. You can't even see the other sideline.

7 or 8 years ago there was a great troll about SW and grading. A guy wrote an article stating that the increased injuries in college football were due to an increased change in the crown of the field. Also that teams making the change could adapt and gain benefit of actually being able to run downhill more in their home stadiums. People believed it surprisingly.

Florida is throwing around Miami type money. We aren't willing to do that. All I'll say.
correction, Florida and Miami are throwing around aTm type money. and we are not willing to do that.

i'm pretty sure this is the home in me, but at the same time, i do think we're being relatively smart about how we go about this. sometimes, letting your competition cannibalize each other is the way to go.....feels like that may be what's happening, on some level, here.

no one will ever argue with getting more, great talent.

but that talent has to fit the program and form a team and all that intangible stuff you can put star ratings next to. leadership too.

and if you aren't bringing that stuff to the table in this process and it's just about NIL, and kids are fickle enough to just foucs on that, i'm sorry, that just doesn't spell long term success to me. it feels completely reactionary. you're decisions are being dictated by outside forces. not because their grounded in the fundamental values of your program.

again...homer alert here...but i think that's the difference between what we're doing (or not doing as it were) and what we're seeing elsewhere. and i'm just kinda ok with that.

I also will say this one thing that's always bugged me is that there is a limit on 5 stars each cycle.

They base it on roughly how many 1st round NFL players they think exist in HS (which is already dumb, bug I digress) so each year there's 30-35 or so 5 stars given out. Well anyone with a brain realizes that the system is going to miss quite a bit of 5 star talent with a flawed cutoff that's based on faulty logic.

So you have to appreciate staff that can see talent regardless of stars and also staff that can develop talent.

It's one reason I kind of thing they "new ratings" for transfers guys is kind of dumb. Joe Milton for example, he was a composite 4 star .9202 outta HS and a top 250 player and top 10 pro-style QB. His production at Michigan didn't live up to expectations, but why when he transferred was he suddenly a 3 star .8400 prospect?
Hendon was the same, went from a HS 4 star .8903 to a 3 star .8200. What changed about their talent, size, etc. that was initially considered for their rating? Neither got smaller and both have improved their talent...really only production has changed. I think both are closer to their HS ratings than they are their transfer ratings, but in the game of "team rankings" taking both didn't help us since they were low rated transfers. But taking both from a culture/on the field results standpoint has helped us a ton.

Cliffs: who gives a **** as long as we're winning games?

Milton was a project and was rated almost exclusively on his physical traits. Scouts ignored his lack of HS production assuming he'd put it together at the next level.

He left Michigan without producing much there either. It was becoming apparent he was never going to produce much which resulted in him being a 3* transfer.

Don't hold your breath...I think ultimately people's worries are that our Uber rich are not going to pony up what other programs Uber rich loons are willing to throw away.
well dish is exhibit A on that front. i don't think he's actively involved at all in the athletics donation category.

So....same ole ******** different day on the hill.
How much are you willing to spend on 1 kid who isn't a QB? Let's say, for argument's sake, that FM wanted 3 mil. Would you give that to him when you have a whole roster to put together? Or say you give FM 3 mil, and then Ramil hears about that, and Ramil wants 3 mil also. And then Herring sees that, and he wants 3 mil. And then Seldon's like, hey man, what gives, I'm worth at least 2. What do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back