Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
this comes down to 2 things for me....

we have a lot of faith and confidence in what UF's program is about, how they've executed their plans for recruiting, what they're doing in terms of building culture and that fundamentally they are better than us in terms of building their program for long term success?

or

we're going to be really upset about the # next to the team name in the recruiting rankings?

this is not directed at you, specifically.

but i think these are questions that everyone needs to answer for themselves.....

I don’t think we should just look at the number next to a team’s name in the rankings, no. But, with that being said, the rankings DO matter because it is an identification of talent on your team. Talent matters. Is it subjective? Yes. But, the teams competing for playoff spots every year like Georgia and Alabama do so because they have far more talent than any other program in the country.

We need to be more talented if we want this to be sustainable long term. That’s all I’m saying.

I’m still thrilled with where we are Year 2. This is mostly just a discussion about where I want us to be 3-4 years from now.

I think the question for me is why? I keep being told we’re fully committed to getting football fixed long-term and being sustainable, and NIL means you have to pay.

I don’t want people to misread my intentions. I am very happy with this season and excited about the future. But, what was the common discussion point on here about why we lost to Georgia? Talent. 67 4 or 5 star players on their roster. I believe 27 on ours. Florida out recruiting us when they are fighting for bowl eligibility and we are fighting for the playoffs is disappointing. It just is.
I think Heupel is mostly concerned with getting the culture right. We have resources that we will use to strategically boost the talent of our roster. Based off of numerous examples, we even saw it under Pruitt, but paying recruits a ton of money isn't the way to change the culture of the program. Sun Belt Billy seems to be embracing the same rebuild model that most failing Saban disciples have tried.

Happy Veterans' Day to all the service men and women!

Even you Air Force!

Jk Love you folks too.

Hooah!!

Just got back from a Veteran's Day program at my granddaughter's school. There was a 90+ year old WWII/Korea vet there who bore a striking resemblance to @BaldBiker.

Last edited:
I think the question for me is why? I keep being told we’re fully committed to getting football fixed long-term and being sustainable, and NIL means you have to pay.

I don’t want people to misread my intentions. I am very happy with this season and excited about the future. But, what was the common discussion point on here about why we lost to Georgia? Talent. 67 4 or 5 star players on their roster. I believe 27 on ours. Florida out recruiting us when they are fighting for bowl eligibility and we are fighting for the playoffs is disappointing. It just is.

There are 3 programs in the SEC that can/should/will likely always have easy recruiting. LSU, Georgia, Florida and soon you can add Texas to the list. Saban had to build Alabama up, and I'd say unless they land a great HC they'll fall off when he's gone. But every coach that's been at LSU/Georgia since rankings became a thing has been able to land a top 5 class. Florida does require some more effort though, with FSU & Miami in town. Napier is the first legit recruiter they've had there since Urban though.

And it also helps that the State of Florida has 49 of their top rated players in the top 250 nationally (think about that!). TN has 3 in the top 250 in state.

So the best thing is to hope Napier isn't a great developer of talent, cause from the current sample size he doesn't seem to be very good as an Xs & Os guy.

Hopefully we land 2 or more of the guys left on the board we're after in M'Pemba, Parker, Hobbs, Akana.

I don’t think we should just look at the number next to a team’s name in the rankings, no. But, with that being said, the rankings DO matter because it is an identification of talent on your team. Talent matters. Is it subjective? Yes. But, the teams competing for playoff spots every year like Georgia and Alabama do so because they have far more talent than any other program in the country.

We need to be more talented if we want this to be sustainable long term. That’s all I’m saying.

I’m still thrilled with where we are Year 2. This is mostly just a discussion about where I want us to be 3-4 years from now.
nobody is arguing about needing more talent. we all agree.

i'd just say that we're going to have more/improved talent going forward, starting with this 23 class, regardless of where we finish in relation to Florida. i mean if you really look at the class, top to bottom, we're picking up some GREAT pieces in some KEY spots, specifically Edge/OLB and QB. and i wouldn't sell WR or OL short. siap the other day, we're getting elite players in THIS class, we're just not getting enough of them in this class to splash. i think we now know why. you almost have to look at it w/out comparing against another program. we are getting more/better/improved talent, now. this team will get better because of it. that it's 3 spots behind FL doesn't change that.

we are off to a great start with some elite talent in the 24 class.

and the 23 class nor the transfer portal have had their final say on this cycle.

Just got to keep winning
Maybe upgrade the staff in some areas
We will be fine hopefully
We can definitely win big here with the current players so gotta keep getting players who want to be great and not just make money

Florida is throwing around Miami type money. We aren't willing to do that. All I'll say.
Florida is not a good team this year and these kids will only be freshman next year. We still have a prime opportunity to start a streak on them. I don’t expect them to be great next year. Napier has kicked players off the team had turmoil all year in that locker room had a top 5 NFL QB prospect according to “experts” and has had a mediocre season at best. Reporters caught on hot mics ripping him. It’s not all sunshine at Florida right now. Seems they’re taking the A&M/Miami approach now and well look at them…

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back