Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
i-dont-believe-you-lies.gif
LOL fair.

Yep...you nailed it. A lot of people that go looking for that spot can't find it because they think it is at the end of the road...lol.

I've got a few others from that spot in June 11 on old memory cards that are just as beautiful but different.

It's been 5 years since we last went and I'm starting to get the itch to go hack again...there are just sooo many bucket list places that I've not been yet, and I can only afford one big trip out west a year...well except for this year because the dumbasses in charge have run prices up so high on everything that I couldn't to go anywhere out west.
We go every 3 summers or so out there to camp. We want to start doing the Utah circuit of National Parks but it’s hard to get away from northwest Wyoming.

So....same ole ******** different day on the hill.
what?

dude.

lol.

literally nothing is the same. things haven't been this good for UT athletics as a whole in, well, maybe ever. definitely been 20+ years for football.

we aren't happy unless we're mad.....mercy.

How much are you willing to spend on 1 kid who isn't a QB? Let's say, for argument's sake, that FM wanted 3 mil. Would you give that to him when you have a whole roster to put together? Or say you give FM 3 mil, and then Ramil hears about that, and Ramil wants 3 mil also. And then Herring sees that, and he wants 3 mil. And then Seldon's like, hey man, what gives, I'm worth at least 2. What do you do?
you watch prospects flip on you....or hit the portal..........lol. again, that's why i just have a hard time buying that this is "all good" for Florida, and "all bad" for us.

you watch prospects flip on you....or hit the portal..........lol. again, that's why i just have a hard time buying that this is "all good" for Florida, and "all bad" for us.
It looks good. But Florida is having to spend a TON of money. If they can pull it off, all power to them. I don't know how they do it or how they can keep the entire team content.

Cool to hear as my daughter wants to be a veterinarian. She is a sophomore majoring in Animo Science @ MS State. Her first yr was challenging but better this fall semester. I’d love to get some ideas form you if you have time.
Sure, bud! What do you want to know?

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
correction, Florida and Miami are throwing around aTm type money. and we are not willing to do that.

i'm pretty sure this is the home in me, but at the same time, i do think we're being relatively smart about how we go about this. sometimes, letting your competition cannibalize each other is the way to go.....feels like that may be what's happening, on some level, here.

no one will ever argue with getting more, great talent.

but that talent has to fit the program and form a team and all that intangible stuff you can put star ratings next to. leadership too.

and if you aren't bringing that stuff to the table in this process and it's just about NIL, and kids are fickle enough to just foucs on that, i'm sorry, that just doesn't spell long term success to me. it feels completely reactionary. you're decisions are being dictated by outside forces. not because their grounded in the fundamental values of your program.

again...homer alert here...but i think that's the difference between what we're doing (or not doing as it were) and what we're seeing elsewhere. and i'm just kinda ok with that.
1668184320016.gif

Milton was a project and was rated almost exclusively on his physical traits. Scouts ignored his lack of HS production assuming he'd put it together at the next level.

He left Michigan without producing much there either. It was becoming apparent he was never going to produce much which resulted in him being a 3* transfer.

Essentially the opposite story for Harrison Bailey who was purely rated based on his HS production with no regard to the talent and system around him.

It's clear watching both though that Milton has all the physical tools to be a NFL QB and Bailey doesn't.

Florida is throwing around Miami type money. We aren't willing to do that. All I'll say.

I think the question for me is why? I keep being told we’re fully committed to getting football fixed long-term and being sustainable, and NIL means you have to pay.

I don’t want people to misread my intentions. I am very happy with this season and excited about the future. But, what was the common discussion point on here about why we lost to Georgia? Talent. 67 4 or 5 star players on their roster. I believe 27 on ours. Florida out recruiting us when they are fighting for bowl eligibility and we are fighting for the playoffs is disappointing. It just is.

How much are you willing to spend on 1 kid who isn't a QB? Let's say, for argument's sake, that FM wanted 3 mil. Would you give that to him when you have a whole roster to put together? Or say you give FM 3 mil, and then Ramil hears about that, and Ramil wants 3 mil also. And then Herring sees that, and he wants 3 mil. And then Seldon's like, hey man, what gives, I'm worth at least 2. What do you do?

Remember when Northwestern was pursuing a player's union...that or NIL will sort of fade out a bit. Because honestly unless the schools/conferences are directly involved (since they are the ones benefiting and making real profits) the fans/donors will eventually see it as a poor investment and spend less to be involved.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
I think the question for me is why? I keep being told we’re fully committed to getting football fixed long-term and being sustainable, and NIL means you have to pay.

I don’t want people to misread my intentions. I am very happy with this season and excited about the future. But, what was the common discussion point on here about why we lost to Georgia? Talent. 67 4 or 5 star players on their roster. I believe 27 on ours. Florida out recruiting us when they are fighting for bowl eligibility and we are fighting for the playoffs is disappointing. It just is.
Being willing to pay, and being stupid, are two different things. There are some kids who want stupid money. And there are some schools willing to give them stupid money. I'm not sure we should be in that space.

Essentially the opposite story for Harrison Bailey who was purely rated based on his HS production with no regard to the talent and system around him.

It's clear watching both though that Milton has all the physical tools to be a NFL QB and Bailey doesn't.

In hindsight it's funny looking back on all of our comments at how down 247 was on HB compared to Rivals, who had him as a 5*.

I recall a lot of scouts asking, "how much better can he possibly get?"

Turns out they were right.

At the end of the day he's still a UT fan just like the rest of us. Hope he succeeds at UNLV.

Because throwing around that kind of money creates more harm than good. I give you TXAM as an example, it creates a team full of mercenaries who are only in it for themselves along with a ton of jealousy throughout the roster. I would bet that a lot of these high dollar guys won't be at the school they signed with in 2 years, and if schools/boosters starting telling on themselves to recoup their money it just creates a whole other world of issues.

I hope that ends up being the case. I hope you are right.
I don't know if I am or not. But someone saw me talking this morning and gave me a little insight into how much money some of these guys are wanting. I don't see how it's sustainable. And I understand why we aren't talking with the guys that are trending towards Florida.

this comes down to 2 things for me....

we have a lot of faith and confidence in what UF's program is about, how they've executed their plans for recruiting, what they're doing in terms of building culture and that fundamentally they are better than us in terms of building their program for long term success?

or

we're going to be really upset about the # next to the team name in the recruiting rankings?

this is not directed at you, specifically.

but i think these are questions that everyone needs to answer for themselves.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back