Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Danny see that there’s a clear ceiling to the current MBB Coach?… I like Rick but with Eric Musselman going to Elite 8’s back to back and Nate Oats doing what he’s doing in not exactly a great basketball job I wonder what Danny thinks of all of that. Tennessee basketball job to me is one of the top 2-3 in the SEC from a Resources, Facilities and Fan support standpoint.

Alabama basketball isn’t a slouch. They have more all time wins than we do. I will give you that their arena stinks. But Mark Gotfried had that program playing well 20 years ago.

Does Danny see that there’s a clear ceiling to the current MBB Coach?… I like Rick but with Eric Musselman going to Elite 8’s back to back and Nate Oats doing what he’s doing in not exactly a great basketball job I wonder what Danny thinks of all of that. Tennessee basketball job to me is one of the top 2-3 in the SEC from a Resources, Facilities and Fan support standpoint.

Rick will retire on his own schedule. His timeline is somewhat fluid, but losing is far less fun than winning. But the losing is certainly taking some of the negative attention off KJH.

Last edited:
Alabama basketball isn’t a slouch. They have more all time wins than we do. I will give you that their arena stinks. But Mark Gotfried had that program playing well 20 years ago.
They asked coaches to rank the best jobs in the conference a few years ago and Bama was a bit behind Tennessee in every category they ranked. Tennessee was 4th behind Kentucky, Arkansas and Florida. Bama was 8th in the SEC…. That was when we had nut jobs running the AD. Add in DW and it’s a CLEAR better job than what Alabama is. Alabama runs their AD based on one person…

Rick will retire on his own schedule. His timeline is somewhat fluid, but losing is far less fun than winning. But the losing is certainly is taking some of the negative attention off KJH.
I’m not saying fire him but lord the noise when the annual first round exit comes…

Reactions: LA Vol
Tony Vitello is the coach I’m ultra supremely confident in winning a National championship. Heupel is getting there but not near as confident as I am in Vitello. Rick… absolutely no chance. Weekly… nope. Harper… nope.

Agreed, Vitello and Heupel are winners. Karen is interesting. She has shown she can change and has addressed the big issues holding the team back. She wants to win on her own without Ralph. She lost a lot of super seniors and has a young team this year, but I'm looking forward to seeing if her changes make a difference.

They asked coaches to rank the best jobs in the conference a few years ago and Bama was a bit behind Tennessee in every category they ranked. Tennessee was 4th behind Kentucky, Arkansas and Florida. Bama was 8th in the SEC…. That was when we had nut jobs running the AD. Add in DW and it’s a CLEAR better job than what Alabama is. Alabama runs their AD based on one person…

Eh, they aren’t 8th. I don’t agree. It’s definitely a better job than Vandy, USC, Mizzou, Georgia, Ole Miss, MSU, Auburn, and similar to A&M and LSU. Recruiting base, budget, support if you win…all very good.

Agreed, Vitello and Heupel are winners. Karen is interesting. She has shown she can change and has addressed the big issues holding the team back. She wants to win on her own without Ralph. She lost a lot of super seniors and has a young team this year, but I'm looking forward to seeing if her changes make a difference.
Not a fan of the slap hitting Weakley approach on softball. Just seems like other top teams hit a lot better than we do. Now admittedly I didn’t get a chance to watch much last year so maybe that was a Ralph thing. Nothing wrong with a slap hit now and then but for a few years we had more than half the team trying it. I am a believer in getting in the box and taking a fair share of good full swings. They had a few teams that could have won it all with better hitting.

Reactions: SoilVol

A bit surprised Arkansas was rated higher.

Reactions: VolNash17
Tonight’s game is why some fans can’t get excited about this team. Lose to Vandy bc of stupid mistakes and they’ll lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament. Barnes has been great but they continually disappoint.
Look, tonights loss was frustrating. But losing tonight does not mean we will lose in the first or second round of the tournament. Any more than Kansas losing to Kentucky by 18 at home or to unranked TCU at the end of the season last year mean they couldn't win the title.

It means we have flaws that are being exploited, and every team has flaws. The key is fixing them and getting back into our rhythm, which we have plenty of time to do.

16-0 the rest of the way til we ain't @VolsDoc81TX

Not a fan of the slap hitting Weakley approach on softball. Just seems like other top teams hit a lot better than we do. Now admittedly I didn’t get a chance to watch much last year so maybe that was a Ralph thing. Nothing wrong with a slap hit now and then but for a few years we had more than half the team trying it. I am a believer in getting in the box and taking a fair share of good full swings. They had a few teams that could have won it all with better hitting.

That's what she's done-- bring in power hitters instead of slappers. Her new philosophy is hit or sit. She's also shored up the pitching. Trying to ride 1 or 2 pitchers has been an issue for years. They open on Friday, so we'll see.

JJJ has been atrocious this year, no way he's going to the league. He was 1-7 before the injury. He doesn't have that drive or "It" factor. We had room to add another transfer or someone else for this scenario, but we didn't. It's ultimately on Barnes. We've just begun the plunge. If Vanderbilt can beat us, anyone can the rest of the way. The sharks will be out for blood going forward. I'd burn Dillones redshirt, cause we need a scorer, but that's just me. I feel like our offense can't get worse and it could get better with the infusion of talent at guard if Dillone was to play.
Atrocious? Gtfo with that weak assessment.

Last edited:
Everybody's going to play the Vols physically from now on. The Vols could flip the script and win out. Or they could sink deeper in a funk and lose to anybody. You never know who's going to show up and who's going to disappear on any given night. But every game could be dogfight, and the Vols are going to have to deal with bad calls. Uros can't even stay in a game without racking up fouls one after another.
Early in the season we were putting on clinics in passing; moving without the ball; tough, smart, and physical play by Uros in the paint and on the boards; and drawing fouls.

Now we make poor passes, we don't move as much off ball and our guards are getting stiffled, Uros can't look at an opponent without getting a foul, and we're the ones getting drawn for fouls.

The team had a lot of confidence at the beginning of the season. They're definitely in a funk. It's a bad stretch to be in this funk. Mizzou is going to be a pivotal game, Bama will be even more important. Now is a good time to right the ship to resecure a top 2 seed. Otherwise, we need to get back in the groove by the SEC tournament and into March and just play for a run. Those are two positive scenarios. The negative scenario is we crumble and flunk out.

Julian Phillips probably having a nightmare tonight.

That felt like Joe Milton running out of bounds. I hope that is akin to his turnaround as well, and he becomes a savage ball hawk. Barnes’ I love ‘em even after that loss but he’s trained the “dog” right out of this team. So I’m not holding my breath. Team is what it is, it’s baked into the cake at this point.

Am I wrong? Should he have still passed that shot up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back