Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will admit that NCAA basketball tends to let the underdog get away with more. Even still, week after week we dare the basketball gods with this middle school girls basketball offense that we have. We aren't cutting it close because of fouls or lack of.
Same offense we were putting up 80 a game just a few weeks ago. We shot 3 freethrows the entire game, one in the second half, despite Vandy physically assaulting our guards every possession. Several players had to sit lengthy times for fouls including ZZ.

Since before the season I worried about this team not having a guy that could be the one to score when need be. I hope for the best the rest of this season, but my real hope is one of the young guys will step up and be the go to guy next year. They need to do some soul searching or things will only get worse from here.

Same offense we were putting up 80 a game just a few weeks ago. We shot 3 freethrows the entire game, one in the second half, despite Vandy physically assaulting our guards every possession. Several players had to sit lengthy times for fouls including ZZ.
It's because the offense is neutered. It's as simple as that. The refs aren't out to get us. The league isn't out to get us. Our offense is impotent, seemingly by choice.

We could not try harder to run a more passive offense.

It's because the offense is neutered. It's as simple as that. The refs aren't out to get us. The league isn't out to get us. Our offense is impotent, seemingly by choice.

We could not try harder to run a more passive offense.
Hmm 80 points, shoot normal amount of freethrows, even fouls called then... not. This league absolutely helps certain teams. It's one step above organized crime. They allow some teams to cheat with impunity and punish others for minor infractions. It's corrupt as hell.

Well I’m not. You’ll have to ask Joe where he’s from.
@UTJoe
Since before the season I worried about this team not having a guy that could be the one to score when need be. I hope for the best the rest of this season, but my real hope is one of the young guys will step up and be the go to guy next year. They need to do some soul searching or things will only get worse from here.
hate to say this, but, we really lack in recruiting. there, I said it.

Barnes is content.

Hmm 80 points, shoot normal amount of freethrows, even fouls called then... not. This league absolutely helps certain teams. It's one step above organized crime. They allow some teams to cheat with impunity and punish others for minor infractions. It's corrupt as hell.

You're talking to the right guy, because nobody distrusts officiating across all major sports like I do. Especially sports that have a history of corruption.

But come on.

Our offense is absolutely horrific. We don't even force the refs to make difficult calls.

I could, and did, get behind "refs rigged" for one or two games. But this is a recurring issue. And it's the same thing every time - the offense is terrible.

We had a wide open layup and passed on it because the players are so in their heads.

Maybe they need to play pick up football to loosen up, like Hooker did with pick up basketball. They are not loose or confident at all.

Which is a shame because the defense is elite

Two critical freshman mistakes in the last few minutes. Awaka running out to foul a 3pt shooter with 1 or 2 sec. left on the shot clock in a tie game. And then Philips deciding to pull it out instead of slamming it to go up 4 and put Vandy in sheer panic mode. It also hurts that Santi missed the front end of the 1&1 that could have iced it as well. Barnes didn't coach poorly down the stretch IMO. The poor decision making and execution is what beat us.

You're talking to the right guy, because nobody distrusts officiating across all major sports like I do. Especially sports that have a history of corruption.

But come on.

Our offense is absolutely horrific. We don't even force the refs to make difficult calls.
What changed from earlier? Did our offense suddenly disappear? It all changed when we played KY and they allowed KY to be physical and refused to call the fouls. They've let other teams get away with it since. I challenge you to watch it again and don't watch the ball. Watch the other guards. Watch what they let the other team get away with.

The refs swallowed their whistles until the weak foul on the 3 from Vandy at the end of the game. Both Teams mugged each other all game. This one is on the players. Not Barnes or the refs.

Well, Vols were #2 and a 1 seed and now they've lost to UK in TBA, UF and Vandy. They just scraped by downtrending Auburn, and Bama's looming. That certainly leaves a sour taste.
Because of the poor offense, it’s been a difficult team to like. Yes, the defense is elite. But losing to inferior teams makes it hard to get emotionally invested Like I have with most Vol teams in any sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back