Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naismith didn’t create it to be a sport…. It was just an activity to keep athletes in shape during the winter…..
Whether he saw it as a sport or not - he envisioned the spirit and created the rules of the game. It is the spirit of the game that has persisted.

It's a game of agility and skill. Not just brute force as football fans may want to see or misconstrue it as. It isn't the sport. Otherwise it's rugby with a basket and bouncy ball.

back in the 80’s… you had several different styles… Lakers flash…. Celtics precision…. Bad boys piston…. Knicks… and a few more…. All the teams played a different style which made it interesting…. Now….. all the teams play the same style which makes it kind of boring, imo.

This couldn't be much further from the truth. More spacing across the league doesn't mean homogeneity of specific styles......anymore than congested offenses of the past meant similar styles or personalities.

I've always thought back to this graph a few years ago:

1676144945689.png
Screenshot_20230211_144205.jpg

I can see focus on a very specific timeframe of the 80's. Maybe because you watched then and could delineate the differences while watching. It's like how some non-viewers think everyone runs "the college football offense" of 5+ years ago - the zone read option. When in reality teams are all playing much different, even if spacing is a common theme. Commonalities doesn't mean everything is the same though.

Reactions: volinokc
Yet Steph Curry completes them UNSLAPPED and he’s nowhere near the athlete.

Because Steph knows how to use his body. There is much more technique and speed in today’s game. Some folks can’t get past the “good ole days.” But really, a lot of people are showing how little they know about basketball with these takes. Players today have a wider range of elite skills than what you saw even a few decades ago. I now regularly see 13-14 year olds who can do stuff only the good/great college players were doing when I was a kid. The average team—from AAU to pro—would destroy teams from even 25 years ago. And those of you saying basketball isn’t physical anymore need to pay better attention and take of your nostalgia blinders.

Reactions: johnfnkelly
Watched the ESPN 30/30 on Bulls.

Didnt appreciate how freakish of an athlete he was. He stepped on field and changed gears from attention whore to legit HoF.
His stories via Phil were the best 🤣

They seemed "right" too. Some madmen just need their space to be madmen in order to perform at their peak in the real world. He was one of them.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
One of the wildest things that could happen this season is Jokic winning his 3rd straight MVP.

Only 3 other players in history have ever done that. None named MJ or LBJ.

2 of them were in a league of their own (quite literally) in their time - Russell and Chamberlain. Bird was the third.

Because Steph knows how to use his body. There is much more technique and speed in today’s game. Some folks can’t get past the “good ole days.” But really, a lot of people are showing how little they know about basketball with these takes. Players today have a wider range of elite skills than what you saw even a few decades ago. I now regularly see 13-14 year olds who can do stuff only the good/great college players were doing when I was a kid. The average team—from AAU to pro—would destroy teams from even 25 years ago. And those of you saying basketball isn’t physical anymore need to pay better attention and take of your nostalgia blinders.
Sounds like an opinion…biased variety.

Whether he saw it as a sport or not - he envisioned the spirit and created the rules of the game. It is the spirit of the game that has persisted.

It's a game of agility and skill. Not just brute force as football fans may want to see or misconstrue it as. It isn't the sport. Otherwise it's rugby with a basket and bouncy ball.

This couldn't be much further from the truth. More spacing across the league doesn't mean homogeneity of specific styles......anymore than congested offenses of the past meant similar styles or personalities.

I've always thought back to this graph a few years ago:

View attachment 535690
View attachment 535692

I can see focus on a very specific timeframe of the 80's. Maybe because you watched then and could delineate the differences while watching. It's like how some non-viewers think everyone runs "the college football offense" of 5+ years ago - the zone read option. When in reality teams are all playing much different, even if spacing is a common theme. Commonalities doesn't mean everything is the same though.
…. I watch basketball all the time( why I am going to watch the sixers play in march( huge sixers fan)…. I just find the analytical style to be be boring….. every single team tries to shoot threes… hit lay ups…shoot free throws… all with spacing… some are better at it which is what your graph showed….. the same thing has happened to baseball and to a smaller extent football.

What Naismith thought about the game doesn’t really matter…. We have moved on from peach baskets as well…. There needs to be some physicality allowed on defense to be able to stop the other team…. It’s allowed on offense which is why lebron and the Greek freak are at such an advantage.

Reactions: LoudOrange
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back