Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve posted this in the politics forum with all the recent insanity in the news, but I feel I should post it here (it isn’t an explicitly political post) as well since I’ve come to know and respect many of you on this board.

The reason I’m posting this here is that now that I’m a father, priorities have changed. I’m torn between what to do with respect to her. Thanks for all feedback.
South Carolina National Guard : Join the Guard

I didn't see Maravich, Wilt, Bill Russell, or Elgin play, so I listed from the 80s and up.

My 2nd team would be:

PG- Stephen Curry
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF- Kevin Durant
PF- Giannis Antetokounmpo
C- Hakeem Olajuwon

Embarrassed say I forgot about Kobe. Should probably replace Thomas with Bryant.

You get extra credit just for spelling Giannis' last name, lol!

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
February 11, 1990

buster-tyson.gif

Biggest upset in sports history????
🇺🇸 v 🇷🇺 🏒

Embarrassed say I forgot about Kobe. Should probably replace Thomas with Bryant.

You get extra credit just for spelling Giannis' last name, lol!
I'm Boston Celtics all the way but the Lakers have had some of the greatest basketball players in my lifetime (I'm 47) and had to acknowledge that. I had a hard time putting Dominique Wilkins over Dirk Nowitzki on my 13 man rotation. Paul Pierce was also one I wanted to put on the team too, but ran out of room.

*I had to copy and paste "that big #34 Greek dude from the Bucks" name 😁

Reactions: InVOLuntary
My 13 man roster:
Magic, Bird, Jordan, Lebron, KAJ, Maravich, Chamberlin, Duncan, Hakeem, Russell, Curry, Thomas, Baylor
One guy I'd have to kick is Pistol Pete. Insane college player. Top notch NBA player, but not historically top-13 or anything.

He falls right beside the likes of Reggie Miller and Ray Allen in the mid 100s. Similar - shooters, some other attributes, but not all-around all-time greats. He's also 1 spot behind Deandre Jordan for some reference. #140.

Reactions: drvenner
I didn't see Maravich, Wilt, Bill Russell, or Elgin play, so I listed from the 80s and up.

My 2nd team would be:

PG- Stephen Curry
SG- Kobe Bryant
SF- Kevin Durant
PF- Giannis Antetokounmpo
C- Hakeem Olajuwon
Durant and Giannis would have been so scary back in the day. There hadn't been a 7 footer that could shoot, dribble, and move like them until they came around. Wilt was obviously insanely athletic, probably more than them, but was more limited in his game and position - just how things were taught back then.

Durant especially would have been the scariest sight on the court as soon as the 3 point line was instituted. 7 footer small forward 😅

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
One guy I'd have to kick is Pistol Pete. Insane college player. Top notch NBA player, but not historically top-13 or anything.

He falls right beside the likes of Reggie Miller and Ray Allen in the mid 100s. Similar - shooters, some other attributes, but not all-around all-time greats. He's also 1 spot behind Deandre Jordan for some reference. #140.

You may be right, but surrounded by a dream team, I just had to think he would get back to much more 1-on-1 defense and possibly look more like his college self.

I always saw the Reggie Miller's as fading into a role on those type teams, rather than it elevating his game. But that is all just subjective speculation on my part.

Pistol Pete couldn’t get the ball across half court in today’s NBA. The NBA of the 70s and 80s is like high school ball compared to the athleticism that all positions have now.
That's a stretch. I'd say D league or euro (70s, not 80s). And the 80s took a huge leap froward from the 60s/70s. And 5 leap jumps from the early 50s.

Imo in the 60s and 70s maybe 10% could make the current NBA. By the 90s I'd say 50%. 80s was a big transition. Just as how 2000-current has been massive with the absurd level of internationalization.

Reactions: berryvol
That's a stretch. I'd say D league or euro. And the 80s took a huge leap froward from the 60s/70s. And 5 leap jumps from the early 50s.

Imo in the 60s and 70s maybe 10% could make the current NBA. By the 90s I'd say 50%. 80s was a big transition. Just as how 2000-current has been massive with the absurd level of internationalization.

As a point of reference - white Americans. Now clearly white Americans haven't magically gotten worse at basketball. There is just that much more of a talent pool these days to draw off. So in the 60s the NBA was 80% white (I think we can reasonably say a vast majority of them being American-born). By 2000 it was down to less than 30%. Now it is less than 10% (as of 2010 - who knows by now...maybe 5-10%). In 2020, the all-star game (32 players total) didn't include a single one. And the best of the best right now? Arguably Tyler Herro. I mean...ok 🤔

This is just an overall point - the demographic that once made up 80% or even ~30% of the league...now can hardly produce 1 all-star player. That is how far the NBA has come in terms of their talent pool. Similar to black MLB numbers getting cut in half in just 20 years due to more international players. It is what it is. More and more competition chasing million dollar contracts.

Durant and Giannis would have been so scary back in the day. There hadn't been a 7 footer that could shoot, dribble, and move like them until they came around. Wilt was obviously insanely athletic, probably more than them, but was more limited in his game and position - just how things were taught back then.

Durant especially would have been the scariest sight on the court as soon as the 3 point line was instituted. 7 footer small forward 😅
I would love to see Rodman harassing Durant under the old NBA rules…. Would be so much fun to watch.

I'll take :

Joe Hammond
Earl Manigault
Fly Williams
Kareem
Earl Monroe

Ain't nobody beating my team!

Not a huge fan of the NBA. But I think, as with everything, "The Best" is subjective. Depends on what characteristics each person values.

If I had the number 1 pick in a draft where you get any player at their prime for a whole season, and you had to draft a team to ride with the entire season.... my first pick would not be LeBron. I wouldn't look forward to playing the team that got him, but I would prefer Jordan or Kobe to lead the team. Jmo.

Today's players would have adapted to whatever the rules were at the time.

Right. Today they tend to avoid hacking, shoving, and climbing over people because it's going to be called now. The rules have shifted back toward having to utilize skill and agility over clobbering folks, as intended. That isn't nature (of being less physical), it is nurture (of the rules).

Basketball via Naismith was never meant to be a streetcourt "blood or no foul" type of game. Straight from his own original rules. Go watch what happened to Bill Russell EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT. The guy would regularly be hacked by 3 opponents at a time, on every possession. It was silly and disincetivized actually having to use agility and skill by defenders.

Things had swung too far that way. Which ultimately culminated in the 80s Pistons disgrace. And yet sadly some that went through that era have the misunderstanding that was "real basketball" smh 😒

Reactions: drvenner
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back