Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought they said they were rolling with that terrible QB they've had for years.

Titans GM says team is 'moving forward' with Ryan Tannehill as QB

They probably are unless they deal him. Primarily because of the cap issues. HH would be backing up a year or two wherever he's drafted. It would be a perfect situation for him to back up Tanny as they convert their antiquated O scheme into something in this century.

Philly made people look like fools that said RPO style O's will not work in the NFL.

March 1, 1872

Yellowstone becomes the 1st National Park in the United States.

YS-ArtistPoint-overlook_Tam20BrianMowry_1500.jpg

Tough day for the Vol family yesterday. Hate it so much for ZZ and the team. Even if it's not significant ligament damage, I don't think he'd be healed enough to contribute with how little of the season is left.

As for Roger, I never met him. But I heard him on the various shows. Such a sweet soul. I remember after one of the football games (can't remember who we had played, but we won), he called in to Basilio's post game show and they were begging him to talk some crap about the opponent. He absolutely wouldn't do it. So sad for him and especially for the people who had the pleasure of meeting and knowing him.

Yes, I could blame him. That would be stupid. You're not entitled to minutes you earn them. Mashack is older, was more highly rated, and is a far superior defender right now. He's earned his minutes with work and consistency. Edwards can also earn minutes with work in the offseason. Vescovi, Key, and JJJ are leaving. Phillips probably getting drafted.

I'm not so sure this will happen. He has to get a better jump shot and stronger. He may be better served by another year, BUT I think we would have said the same thing about Kennedy and Keon.

Tough day for the Vol family yesterday. Hate it so much for ZZ and the team. Even if it's not significant ligament damage, I don't think he'd be healed enough to contribute with how little of the season is left.

As for Roger, I never met him. But I heard him on the various shows. Such a sweet soul. I remember after one of the football games (can't remember who we had played, but we won), he called in to Basilio's post game show and they were begging him to talk some crap about the opponent. He absolutely wouldn't do it. So sad for him and especially for the people who had the pleasure of meeting and knowing him.

Almost every call Roger would do something awesome.

Basilio would always ask him, “Now Roger, who do you trust more - me or Jimmy (Hyams)?”

“Don’t ask that Tony.”

“Well, you’re always calling his show. Let’s say you can only call one show tomorrow who will it be?”

“It’s Jimmy, it’s Jimmy.”

“I knew it.”

Almost every call Roger would do something awesome.

Basilio would always ask him, “Now Roger, who do you trust more - me or Jimmy (Hyams)?”

“Don’t ask that Tony.”

“Well, you’re always calling his show. Let’s say you can only call one show tomorrow who will it be?”

“It’s Jimmy, it’s Jimmy.”

“I knew it.”
That's awesome. Makes me respect Basilio a bit more now.

I'm not so sure this will happen. He has to get a better jump shot and stronger. He may be better served by another year, BUT I think we would have said the same thing about Kennedy and Keon.

No way, Kennedy Chandler at no point last year looked like he was at risk of not being drafted. That kid was a baller! Keon/Springer both I thought we might have saw one of them hang around since COVID derailed their off-season and shortened their regular season but they were both graded high enough it seemed likely we wouldn't get them back.

Phillips hasn't really showed he's great anywhere on offense at this point, his big scoring games he benefited from shooting more FTs to get them. (10 of his 25 against USC came from FT line, 7 of his 18 against Alcorn State, 7 of his 16 against Eastern Kentucky, and 9 of his 11 against Florida Gulf Coast). He's only had 2 games where he made 5 or more FGs and he's only had two games with 2 or more makes from 3. He could potentially still get drafted off his potential and defense, but if his goal is to maximize his draft stock his best chance is returning here. With ON, Santi, JJJ, Key all likely leaving and with ZZ potentially out a portion of next season Phillips would likely be a featured piece of the offense next year.

No way, Kennedy Chandler at no point last year looked like he was at risk of not being drafted. That kid was a baller! Keon/Springer both I thought we might have saw one of them hang around since COVID derailed their off-season and shortened their regular season but they were both graded high enough it seemed likely we wouldn't get them back.

Phillips hasn't really showed he's great anywhere on offense at this point, his big scoring games he benefited from shooting more FTs to get them. (10 of his 25 against USC came from FT line, 7 of his 18 against Alcorn State, 7 of his 16 against Eastern Kentucky, and 9 of his 11 against Florida Gulf Coast). He's only had 2 games where he made 5 or more FGs and he's only had two games with 2 or more makes from 3. He could potentially still get drafted off his potential and defense, but if his goal is to maximize his draft stock his best chance is returning here. With ON, Santi, JJJ, Key all likely leaving and with ZZ potentially out a portion of next season Phillips would likely be a featured piece of the offense next year.

Agree completely. They get antsy sometimes when the better route is to demonstrate their upside and not make it all about potential. He's not yet at Keon/Jaden level IMO.

He's gone.

That's one of the things that drew me to TB's show. I've listened to a lot of call-in shows over the years and there are lots of them that wouldn't have the patience to tolerate a caller with Roger's speech condition. But all of the Knoxville shows are always so kind and welcoming to him.

Basilio always took care of Roger. Threw him birthday parties each year and people who only knew him from the radio would even show up with gifts. Tony Vitello came to a few of those parties with his players.

One time Tony asked Roger what he wanted for his birthday.

Roger said, “A bucket of chicken.”

Tony replied, “Geez, I love this kid.”

That's one of the things that drew me to TB's show. I've listened to a lot of call-in shows over the years and there are lots of them that wouldn't have the patience to tolerate a caller with Roger's speech condition. But all of the Knoxville shows are always so kind and welcoming to him.
Admittedly it would have been difficult to remain patient. I'm sure knowing Roger on a personal level helped.

Reactions: drvenner and whitw
Kennedy Chandler's rankings in SEC last year

12th in PPG at 13.9
5th in APG at 4.7
3rd in SPG at 2.2
FG%- 46.4%
3PT% - 38.3%

Julian Phillips' rankings this year

50th in PPG at 9.0
34th in RPG at 4.8
50th in APG at 1.6
FG%- 46.5%