Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not “only” but would at least meet his goal when he shut it down to prepare for the Draft. Doubt he’d honestly agree that being drafted second day was his intent all along.
I think his intent was to get drafted as high as possible. Which was his goal going back to the off-season when he talked about Velus motivating him, and all the work he put into filling that role that Velus excelled in.

He obviously felt that he put enough on film before the bowl game. As Tennessee fans, I think we all wanted to see him play in the bowl and own the record. It's an individual record and he obviously didn't care as much about the record as he did about his future in the NFL.

So he didn't play in the bowl game, mostly to avoid any sort of injury that would hinder or complicate his preparation for the draft.

We won the game and he didn't get injured, which is a win win. He didn't get the record, which was his decision and sacrifice to make. He had a great day at the combine and he has another chance to run at our pro day.

I'd say he's still on the path that he set for himself last off-season, and he's stayed true to that path this season. Again, as a fan, I would have loved for him to play. I completely understand why he didn't and I respect his thought process.

I agree with your first sentence. But you lost me on hiring no Southerners.

I would like to see full time referees and umpires for the SEC.

Heck actually, the NCAA should be responsible for all full time referees and umpires for every conference, bowl game and playoff games. Not allow any referees or umpire with any ties to the league that they are involved in. Penalties for anything other than unbiased officiating.

Think about how many outcomes of our games would be different with totally unbiased officiating. It’s mind boggling if you are @InVOLuntary, or unlikely to be any different if you are @bignewt 😁

I tend towards

15-0 🤠
I shouldn't have said no Southerns but at this point, I don't trust anyone when this much money is involved. And the NCAA should not be responsible for anything, especially referees. The NCAA has proven they can't be fair/honest either. **edit** I do agree with the rest of your views on officiating, just don't know who will enforce it

There's just way too much money involved in division 1 college sports, especially for the top programs/ blue bloods, for it to be fair and impartial anymore. I know cheating is nothing new, schools have been breaking the rules for years, it's just more evident now, than it's ever been. Conferences are more worried about money, than fair play and sportsmanship.

Last edited:
Bet that you can get tickets at the ticket office at the field. Doubt its a sellout against Gonzaga…
In the 90’s with all those stud players…. We could buy tickets for four dollars to a regional tournament game at the gate….!it’s amazing how times have changed.

I think his intent was to get drafted as high as possible. Which was his goal going back to the off-season when he talked about Velus motivating him, and all the work he put into filling that role that Velus excelled in.

He obviously felt that he put enough on film before the bowl game. As Tennessee fans, I think we all wanted to see him play in the bowl and own the record. It's an individual record and he obviously didn't care as much about the record as he did about his future in the NFL.

So he didn't play in the bowl game, mostly to avoid any sort of injury that would hinder or complicate his preparation for the draft.

We won the game and he didn't get injured, which is a win win. He didn't get the record, which was his decision and sacrifice to make. He had a great day at the combine and he has another chance to run at our pro day.

I'd say he's still on the path that he set for himself last off-season, and he's stayed true to that path this season. Again, as a fan, I would have loved for him to play. I completely understand why he didn't and I respect his thought process.
I didn’t join in with the posters who dogged him out or participate in their threads…I understood. Still do, but with revisionist hindsight I believe he got a rock in his shoe training on that “path”. Not enough for him to fall in a ditch, of course. But maybe he picks a different one. I’ve made some of the same points you’re belting out at me but anything short of ensuring first round draft status falls short of “great”. Maybe pretty good is a better description.

I shouldn't have said no Southerns but at this point, I don't trust anyone when this much money is involved. And the NCAA should not be responsible for anything, especially referees. The NCAA has proven they can't be fair/honest either. **edit** I do agree with the rest of your views on officiating, just don't know who will enforce it

There's just way too much money involved in division 1 college sports, especially for the top programs/ blue bloods, for it to be fair and impartial anymore. I know cheating is nothing new, schools have been breaking the rules for years, it's just more evident now, than it's ever been. Conferences are more worried about money, than fair play and sportsmanship.
Unfortunately, like a lot of other industries, major sports have fallen victim to big revenue.

It used to be that competition drove excitement, which lead to revenue.

Now, in an effort to constantly maximize revenue, they try to create excitement, which will always inevitably lead to manipulating competition.

5 seed will play around 3 EST on Thurs
I know this is going to go over like a lead balloon but I sit my veterans, give the young guys a chance and some experience. Give those veterans more time to heal up. We're not winning the tournament. The deck is stacked against us. Maybe we'll get more of a fair chance in the big dance.

5 seed means our 2nd game is Bama too I believe.

They’ve looked beatable in recent weeks. Still, tough draw

I saw this is the first time since 2016-2017 Tennessee didn’t earn a double-bye. I think injuries played a big part in that. Rarely fielded a completely healthy team and certainly don’t have one now.

Some really fun wins this year though (Kansas, Texas, Bama), and a chance for some more.

Go Vols!

This team stinks. Didn't feel right early in the year and it's showing now. Hoping they get hot shooting for the tourneys but these dudes just can't ball.
Happy to hear you won't watch anymore and will no longer care or comment on the rest of the season. You know, because a really good team "stinks"

I know this is going to go over like a lead balloon but I sit my veterans, give the young guys a chance and some experience. Give those veterans more time to heal up. We're not winning the tournament. The deck is stacked against us. Maybe we'll get more of a fair chance in the big dance.

I mean I think BJ Edwards is the only guy on the roster not playing more minutes right now.

Awaka, Aidoo, Mashack, Phillips all playing a ton.

I agree with ideas to make officiating better and more accountability…. The problem is that it won’t fix anything in fans eyes…. There is rarely a time when a team struggles that the fanbase doesn’t blame it on the officials….. especially if their team has been called for more fouls.

Reactions: barrylee
I disagree. You play to win. Don't put it in your players' heads that they aren't good enough. They can beat everyone in this league at their best and they've won a tournament this year already.

I shouldn't have said no Southerns but at this point, I don't trust anyone when this much money is involved. And the NCAA should not be responsible for anything, especially referees. The NCAA has proven they can't be fair/honest either.

There's just way too much money involved in division 1 college sports, especially for the top programs/ blue bloods, for it to be fair and impartial anymore. I know cheating is nothing new, schools have been breaking the rules for years. It's just more evident now, than it's ever been, that conferences are more worried about money, than sportsmanship.

Okay, I agree with you.

It’s obvious that the two of us should be in charge of all officiating at every collegiate level. It will cost the ncaa and all conferences, but honest unbiased officiating will be provided. We will of course be paid at a level that will not allow anyone to buy our favor. 😇
It’s obviously the only way this can be done appropriately, morally, and with unbiased honesty. 🤠

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
I do think it’s funny how some in our fanbase want Barnes gone so we can return to the Cuonzo Martin / Donny Tyndall era.

How soon folks forget we’ve been witnessing peak Tennessee men’s basketball since Barnes arrived.

I do not want Barnes removed.

But, when the time comes to replace ANY of our coaches, I now have A LOT more faith in RB and the administration.

I disagree. You play to win. Don't put it in your players' heads that they aren't good enough. They can beat everyone in this league at their best and they've won a tournament this year already.
Meaningless tournament where the decks stacked against you. I think you can convey to the team the reasoning. We'll be lucky to win the first game anyway. It also sends a message to Skankey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back