Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The diamond Vols are showing their inexperience against some of the very best teams in the land. But it is the same problems over and over. They are weak on IF D, the SPs have reverted to throwing instead of pitching, and they only have a couple of guys in the order who get on top of the ball at the plate. One of them is a true freshman in Dreiling. Tears is another strong talent with upside, but I guess he is still hurt. They need better plate discipline. The IF D problem is simply not putting in the work and knowing where you are supposed to be while making the plays. Burke has been embarrassing so far.

The opponents can pitch around some of our guys because of the inconsistency and lack of discipline at the plate.

Also - find the best catcher for the pitchers and forget his lack of hitting. That catcher is not Dickey. It's time to rotate Dreiling, Dickey and Tears (when he returns) in the OF and DH roles with Ensley. Booker and Scott should be D replacements, PHs and PRs.

I'll be happy with a .500 SEC record this season with what we have seen so far unless they can light a fire under their arses and get to work.

I can’t figure out the starting pitching for Tennessee. I bought the hype on those guys, but they keep falling short of expectations. I find myself thinking the other team’s Friday night starters, etc look more dominant than ours.

Certainly need to hit better, but finding yourself down 5-1 in the fifth against elite competition makes for a lot of pressure.

We will see where they go from here!

The opponents watched the tape from last season. Those three guys are talented throwers, not yet pitchers. I am disappointed in their lack of progress in learning to locate pitches and hold runners.

The opponents watched the tape from last season. Those three guys are talented throwers, not yet pitchers. I am disappointed in their lack of progress in learning to locate pitches and hold runners.
Perhaps they're good, its just that LSU, Cocks, Florida, et al just got that much better.

According to VQ the main reason for Tennessee brass heading to Cincinnati for the hearing with the NCAA is to contest the failure to monitor charge.

VQ has been a bit all over the place on this. Hubbs is kind of hinting that it’s no big deal, yet AP is talking about lawsuits and getting the SEC involved.

The diamond Vols are showing their inexperience against some of the very best teams in the land. But it is the same problems over and over. They are weak on IF D, the SPs have reverted to throwing instead of pitching, and they only have a couple of guys in the order who get on top of the ball at the plate. One of them is a true freshman in Dreiling. Tears is another strong talent with upside, but I guess he is still hurt. They need better plate discipline. The IF D problem is simply not putting in the work and knowing where you are supposed to be while making the plays. Burke has been embarrassing so far.

The opponents can pitch around some of our guys because of the inconsistency and lack of discipline at the plate.

Also - find the best catcher for the pitchers and forget his lack of hitting. That catcher is not Dickey. It's time to rotate Dreiling, Dickey and Tears (when he returns) in the OF and DH roles with Ensley. Booker and Scott should be D replacements, PHs and PRs.

I'll be happy with a .500 SEC record this season with what we have seen so far unless they can light a fire under their arses and get to work.
We seem to have a problem is getting defensive catchers. Last year, some tried to blame the pitchers for the poor numbers of stolen bases we gave up, both often the throws are off base, high, or in the dirt.

Just noticed Phil’s out there today using a 40 year old Ping Eye 2 wedge.
9346a916-0f8d-455a-bbb5-1c6e962012fb_text.gif

If the basevols struggling is what it takes for our football and basketball teams to be good, then so be it

Just noticed Phil’s out there today using a 40 year old Ping Eye 2 wedge.
9346a916-0f8d-455a-bbb5-1c6e962012fb_text.gif
That club is illegal for play because of the change from square groves. Ping has reproduced the club with legal groves and that's what Phil is using but the media will probably say he's cheating by using it :cool::cool::cool::cool:

If the basevols struggling is what it takes for the basevols to be good, then so be it

fixed it

it's natural. they're learning, growing, they'll benefit later this year and especially next year.

other posters talking about no chemistry on the team. yeah, i think that's fair to say. it takes time, they'll get there.

Last edited:
That club is illegal for play because of the change from square groves. Ping has reproduced the club with legal groves and that's what Phil is using but the media will probably say he's cheating by using it :cool::cool::cool::cool:

I forgot that they re-released it. But it’s still essentially the same club head.

Pretty cool to see pros playing antique club designs.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX

Im not surprised by this season so far at all…coming into the season we were having to replace a lot of experience and veteran bats that were clutch when we needed them to be..50 wins is hard to top for anyone and coming in i never expected anywhere close to that…they’re too inconsistent and young…it will be growing pains for sure.

Reactions: SoilVol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back