Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
See this mornings' post, fan. Then seen others posts on the subject in past weeks, fan. See other posts from others on here who know baseball, fan.

But I will give you one. Every SEC team they play knows our SPs pitch up in the zone by design most of the time. They apparently think they can overpower them. That would be a wrong assumption this season because other teams have watched the videos from last season, so they adjusted. Just like they know they will not hold guys on first well. No improvement in locating pitches or holding runners since last season.
CTV needs to sign you up on staff asap

Don’t be too hard on ‘em. A lot of young guys that had to follow the greatest show on the diamond. They’re not ready yet.

They’ll get it worked out. It might just take longer than this season.
I get that. Dollander and Burns are disappointing me the most and the pitching was supposed to be our strongest position this season. We're also leaving a ton of runners on base, especially against SEC competition.

It just looks off. They look like the basketball team did after the home loss to KY..... lost. TV has the pieces on this team, but they aren't playing together.

I get that. Dolander and Burns are disappointing me the most and the pitching was supposed to be our strongest position this season. We're also leaving a ton of runners on base, especially against SEC competition.

It's just off. They look like the basketball team did after the home loss to KY..... lost. TV has the pieces on this team, but they aren't playing together.

I’m not saying that I “gave up” on them after the Missouri series, but I greatly reduced my expectations and sort of resigned myself to just enjoying watching them improve this season.

Our staff will get these guys where they got the last crew (or close, at least). Just a matter if it’s a month from now or a year from now.

Hoping to get to see them in person this year. Haven’t been able to make it as of yet.

Last edited:
I’m not saying that I “gave up” on them after the Missouri series, but I greatly reduced my expectations and sort of resigned myself to just enjoying watching them improve this season.

Our staff will get these guys where they got the last crew (or close, at least). Just a matter if it’s a month from now or a year from now.

Hoping to get to see them in person this year. Haven’t been able to make it as of yet.
Screenshot_20230201_171923_DuckDuckGo.jpg

this👆🏻

Reactions: UTJoe and TN-POSSUM
See this mornings' post, fan. Then seen others posts on the subject in past weeks, fan. See other posts from others on here who know baseball, fan.

But I will give you one. Every SEC team they play knows our SPs pitch up in the zone by design most of the time. They apparently think they can overpower them. That would be a wrong assumption this season because other teams have watched the videos from last season, so they adjusted. Just like they know they will not hold guys on first well. No improvement in locating pitches or holding runners since last season.
Frank Anderson is one of the best in the business….knows baseball…..if it was as simple as deliberately pitching high in the zone…. I’m very confident that Frank would have that corrected by now.

@SoilVol

I've got a spring fed, 1/3 acre pond. It's about 10' deep at its maximum. I originally stocked it several years ago with channel cats, hybrid bluegill, and largemouth bass, all fingerlings. Over the years the catfish and the bluegill seem to be gone and I've got a pond full of 12" or smaller largemouth. I know the hybrids don't reproduce so I know they're probably gone from that. I restocked the bluegill and catfish about 5 years ago but never saw them again. I decided to give it another shot and put in 100 cats and 100 red ear sunfish. I also put in 3 pounds of bull head minnows.

I suspect the last time I stocked they either went over the dam, were eaten by the bass, or heaten by a great blue heron. Before stocking this time I added a significant brush pile. There wasn't much structure for them to hide under before. I released them in the brush pile and a cattail patch in one corner.

Anything you would recommend to help these fingerlings? They were tiny - about 2" on the bluegill and 4" on the catfish. Should I try and feed them?
I'd recommend getting a fisheries expert to come check it out. May be low on nutrients which reduces the phytoplankton and zooplankton - the base of the food pyramid. Your bluegill are really supposed to feed the bass and catfish, but they may not have enough food themselves. You could feed them, keep stocking minnows, and/or a fisheries guy might have you add a phosphorus fertilizer to promote some suspended algae/phytoplankton growth. It's been a while since my fisheries courses though.

I'd recommend getting a fisheries expert to come check it out. May be low on nutrients which reduces the phytoplankton and zooplankton - the base of the food pyramid. Your bluegill are really supposed to feed the bass and catfish, but they may not have enough food themselves. You could feed them, keep stocking minnows, and/or a fisheries guy might have you add a phosphorus fertilizer to promote some suspended algae/phytoplankton growth. It's been a while since my fisheries courses though.
There's a lot of what I presume is algae. Lots of floating green mush if that helps. 🤮

@SoilVol

I've got a spring fed, 1/3 acre pond. It's about 10' deep at its maximum. I originally stocked it several years ago with channel cats, hybrid bluegill, and largemouth bass, all fingerlings. Over the years the catfish and the bluegill seem to be gone and I've got a pond full of 12" or smaller largemouth. I know the hybrids don't reproduce so I know they're probably gone from that. I restocked the bluegill and catfish about 5 years ago but never saw them again. I decided to give it another shot and put in 100 cats and 100 red ear sunfish. I also put in 3 pounds of bull head minnows.

I suspect the last time I stocked they either went over the dam, were eaten by the bass, or heaten by a great blue heron. Before stocking this time I added a significant brush pile. There wasn't much structure for them to hide under before. I released them in the brush pile and a cattail patch in one corner.

Anything you would recommend to help these fingerlings? They were tiny - about 2" on the bluegill and 4" on the catfish. Should I try and feed them?
dang man. nice.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back