Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The design elements are nice but they don't compare to some of those other places, imo. They are basically hallways with cheap materials emulating the orthodox style but I could see how it would be mesmerizing to see those designs run the length of a metro station. Have you ever been inside an orthodox church? There you'd see what these elements really look like on a grand scale with the right materials. Many mosques are similar but a lot of Mosques borrowed elements from the orthodox churches or even built right inside them (a few mosques just put up walls over the frescoed walls of old churches - they didn't want to tear those elements down but images are forbidden in Islam).
I understand clearly you are implying I don't understand.
These hallways you refer to is only the area where the rider meets the train. This loading area is about 20% of the stations.
They are basically hallways with cheap materials emulating the orthodox style but I could see how it would be mesmerizing to see those designs run the length of a metro station.
You are misinformed, professor. You should read about it.
The stations I am referring to were each built in the Stalin era.
These are multi-level structures built in the 1930's when the material expense was of no concern to the government. Stalin allowed the use of most of the superior marbles (produced in the USSR during these years) and fine art of the era for the Moscow Underground because it was a showcase for the economic superiority of communism over capitalism. There are more impressive paintings in each of these stations than some national museums I have visited. There are multiple art galleries you can walk through to get to the train platform. I was even impressed with the quality of the paintings on display. You can imply I don't grasp fine art next. We can compare the museums we each have visited next, if you wish.
The construction and resource allocation scale is extremely impressive.

The newer stations are far more modern construction with technological functionality the theme. The construction of the Stalin-era stations is purported to be of a different nature, and it is obvious to the visitor. There are some art deco and baroque style newer stations, but they are not built on the scale of the original line.

One reason these stations impress more than the other opulent structures I mentioned before is these "palaces" of the Underground were built between 80 and 250 feet underground, yet these designs give a sense of openness and a very natural-seeming lighting system, "daylight spaciousness" was the term the architects were given.
Have you ever been inside an orthodox church? There you'd see what these elements really look like on a grand scale with the right materials.
I have been inside the Grand Church of the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg(tour) and the Cathedral of Christ the Savior in Moscow (you can go through this functional church freely with a donation for its upkeep) and dozens of others in Russia and Kyiv, from the most opulent to the most modest village churches. I know a few things about the Orthodox Style.
Are there some more impressive Orthodox Churches I should have visited to understand the Orthodox style on a grand scale with the right materials?
Many mosques are similar but a lot of Mosques borrowed elements from the orthodox churches or even built right inside them (a few mosques just put up walls over the frescoed walls of old churches - they didn't want to tear those elements down but images are forbidden in Islam)
I have also toured the Hagia Sofia Grand Mosque in Istanbul. I lived in Russia for 4 months in 2004 and traveled the European portion of Russia by rail for a month after my assignment was finished. I have been inside a few mosques, but the rest were not so grand. One was built out of mud, and I liked that one.

Last edited:
Just saw that AL is at #16 in recruiting on 247 and about 7th in the SEC. Is Saban coming to the end of his reign? Players beginning to have doubts? Did TN start his downfall?

Just say yes!

He had by far the top recruiting class last year and they weren’t near the top early. Only GA has out recruited them over the last four years. Hopefully lack of great QB play helps level the field in 23.

He had by far the top recruiting class last year and they weren’t near the top early. Only GA has out recruited them over the last four years. Hopefully lack of great QB play helps level the field in 23.
So recruits are not fighting to get in like they used to. They managed to still finish at the top last year, but it appears GA has replaced them the team to jump on early. And that lack of QB hype this year may just bring them down enough to start the slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back