Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol yes we finally had a great season I'm not gonna apologize for wanting it to improve or be able to go 10-2 at least every year. Since the only way to do that is to recruit more 4 stars and 5 stars then yes we should be upset over the 12 3 stars we got.

There is a thing that some coaches do, they look at a player, find a skill set that they feel fits their system and as a person will fit into the culture they are trying to grow. They coach them up to maximize their potential and in one or two years have a player that might have been a little under sized, over looked because they played at a smaller school and didn't face the best competition or maybe wasn't coached as well in HS because they had several different coaches, who knows but they can become a key part of the whole scheme.

These players tend to stick around because they have a desire to succeed and even against the odds in some cases they become great players. Every team has these players, some teams have a bunch Stars that aren't willing to work or don't think they are getting a fair shake so the move on to the next NIL deal or the next promise made by their next coach and many will do that more than once nowadays.

Stars are nothing more than a measure of speed and size in many cases, it doesn't measure the most important thing and that's heart. Von Miller was a 3 star as was Jurell Casey and Leveon Bell. Kalil Mack and T.y. Hilton were both 2 stars, so there are those players out there that might not have gotten a good evaluation out of high school and hopefully some of these young men can become special as well.

No you don't. You look at highlight videos just like the rest of us which can NEVER give a full impression of a player much less prove he has an NFL future.

How's Big Ben doing these days btw? I'm pretty sure he retired having never been beaten out by Dobbs as you predicted, right?

FTR, I think Gibson is a good looking prospect. He has the talent to be a very good player if he works and takes coaching.

You do have to wonder how much further this can could possibly be kicked down the road.

Nope. I've already said this many times. If Dobbs isn't a SUPERSTAR, I will stop evaluating players all together. There isn't a QB prospect I can remember that have been more sure of than Dobbs. If he isn't a SUPERSTAR, then obviously I don't know what I'm talking about and I will refrain from doing it anymore. As you can see, even becoming a decent starting QB in the NFL isn't enough for me. Dobbs will have to become a superstar.

He was not our most consistent. Did everyone watch South Carolina without banks? I think he will be a good starter next year but saying he was our best linebacker is a stretch.
I said most consistent, and if you want to use the South Carolina game as an example.... he was the only one on defense that showed up to play that night. He also led the team in tackles this year.

Reactions: volinokc
We will have 8 (maybe 9) scholarship LBs. If we don't have depth with that, we're in trouble. Adding another quality OL would be nice, but again the numbers. We lose 2 but we have 4 in this signing class, plus a portal transfer. We are deep with interior DL, but an experienced EDGE guy would be nice to have. No, Davis didn't play any of his senior season. The bowl game isn't the deciding factor for Milton, but if he isn't THE guy this fall, then the Nico era starts early. I could definitely see us trying to add 2 DBs to compete for immediate playing time, but we have some impressive guys in this signing class. Right now we're losing 1 DB, and we added 5 so far. Numbers, numbers, numbers.
You never want to put freshmen out there before they're ready. It can stunt their development.

There are probably some guys that need to be pushed out of the nest to make room for better.

Oh boy get ready. @sjt18 will be in here soon to tell you that stars don’t matter. Others will say the same thing. Of course those people will just ignore the fact that the teams that win at the highest level have the most 4 and 5*s and the least amount of 3*s. I mean look at our 23 class. While I love the class we have 12 3* players. For reference, Bama, UGA, OSU and Clemson have 12 total.
Two words as an example: Nathan Leacock.

Our staff was on him WAY before he blew up. I believe this staff are fantastic evaluators of talent. Time will only tell but I will bet our 3 stars will be just as productive if not more than those teams 4 stars. Why? Because it is a fact many of those services bump a players rankings when they commit or are favored to commit to those programs based off past performance. They’re hedging their bets. We will in Turn get that benefit soon enough.

Lol yes we finally had a great season I'm not gonna apologize for wanting it to improve or be able to go 10-2 at least every year. Since the only way to do that is to recruit more 4 stars and 5 stars then yes we should be upset over the 12 3 stars we got.
lol, let’s go back to the Butch years and recruit 4 and 5 stars, let’s forget to recruit to what it is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back