Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 70s and 80s were the golden age of rock bands. Those bands put out a ton of hits and lasted for a long time (Stix is still touring). Loved the 90s for alternative. I listened to a good podcast on this. The way the industry is set up, it's harder to get a super group as was the case in the past.
60s-early 70s is pretty much accepted as basic agreed upon GOAT time period. Not sure there will ever be another like it. It produced more timeless music than we have seen (since).

70s kept it afloat and even great at times. As the 80s wore on, it became worse with the hair bands and materialism, though still plenty of good music, especially with the punk backlash of the stiffness of the 80s wall street era, and others if willing to find it. Like the 90s...there was good music, just gotta dig a bit more than before.

Since then is hard to define imo. Genres began to really bend and new genres took over. But there is certainly more music than ever, accessible to all at your fingertips, similar to tv and film. Have to be willing to go find it, which is harder in music than tv and film imo. But it's out there for anyone willing to turn off the trash radio.

You are pure evil.

Saw them for the first time 2 years ago and they were excellent.

I think you were looking for Nickelback or Imagine Dragons.

Imagine thinking a founding member of Nirvana and legendary musician, in many different ways, is just creating generic rock (of a sound from 30 years ago?). Couldn't be me, Newt. One day I'll convert you.
FF are a great band; but, their music isn't, and hasn't been in awhile, anywhere near their earlier stuff...same story for MANY.

Years ago, however, saw them open for the RHCP at Starwood. They blew the Chili Peppers off the stage! It was a great show! Dave Grohl was all over that amphitheater, in the crowd, in the pit.

Reactions: Devo182
60s-early 70s is pretty much accepted as basic agreed upon GOAT time period. Not sure there will ever be another like it. It produced more timeless music than we have seen (since).

70s kept it afloat and even great at times. As the 80s wore on, it became worse with the hair bands and materialism, though still plenty of good music, especially with the punk backlash of the stiffness of the 80s wall street era, and others if willing to find it. Like the 90s...there was good music, just gotta dig a bit more than before.

Since then is hard to define imo. Genres began to really bend and new genres took over. But there is certainly more music than ever, accessible to all at your fingertips, similar to tv anYd film. Have to be willing to go find it, which is harder in music than tv and film imo. But it's out there for anyone willing to turn off the trash radio.

Yes, I just missed the 60's when growing up but that was the formative years in many ways. Plenty of good music now but mainstream pop is just garbage (mostly formulaic - I call it the American Idolization of music). We just aren't seeing groups that are going to reach the long term success of those earlier bands for whatever reason.

Reactions: Devo182
Then why do you keep posting he sucks?

I didn't? It's not a secret that he stank up the joint in his first few starts over a dude that was the favorite for Heisman at one point and just went 3rd round to the Lions. He looked good against Clemson but that won't get him placed in Tier 1 on QB tier lists like the bad games didn't happen.

Sounds like a bit of rock snobbery to me. They’re not 60s-90s level great, but name 10 rock n roll acts that have consistently produced better music over the last 20 years.

Smash Mouth, imagine dragons, Nickelback, papa roach, Daughtry, fall out boy, limp bizkit, breaking benjamin, seether, three days grace,

I didn't? It's not a secret that he stank up the joint in his first few starts over a dude that was the favorite for Heisman at one point and just went 3rd round to the Lions. He looked good against Clemson but that won't get him placed in Tier 1 on QB tier lists like the bad games didn't happen.

In those first starts, he'd been in the system for like 15 minutes. Not the fairest evaluation.

You are pure evil.

Saw them for the first time 2 years ago and they were excellent.

I think you were looking for Nickelback or Imagine Dragons.

Imagine thinking a founding member of Nirvana and legendary musician, in many different ways, is just creating generic rock (of a sound from 30 years ago?). Couldn't be me, Newt. One day I'll convert you.

He was in Nirvana, that's about it and he has sucked that fruit for decades. Foo Fighters are soulless hacks. You will never convince me otherwise. Actually Imagine Dragons remind me of Foo.

Since then is hard to define imo. Genres began to really bend and new genres took over. But there is certainly more music than ever, accessible to all at your fingertips, similar to tv and film. Have to be willing to go find it, which is harder in music than tv and film imo. But it's out there for anyone willing to turn off the trash radio.

I would generally agree, but I personally don't think it got going good until the late 60s, and I'd stretch the prime into the early 80s. Personal taste, nothing more.

And there are some amazing musicians now, I just think it meant more when you had to actually play all the parts on an actual instrument. Guys like Jacob Collier are unbelievably talented, but it's not the same as watching a group like Kansas playing a rock concerto live.

I did get to see Ben Rector and Cody Fry perform with the National Symphony at the Kennedy Center. Regardless of what you feel about their music, a concert like that is special. But again, it was live music being played on real instruments by real people.

Last edited:
I would generally agree, but I personally don't think it got going good until the late 60s, and I'd stretch the prime into the early 80s. Personal taste, nothing more.

And there are some amazing musicians now, I just think it meant more when you had to actually play all the parts on an actual instrument. Guys like Jacob Collier are unbelievably talented, but it's not the same as watching a group like Kansas playing a rock concerto live.

I did get to see Ben Rector and Cody Fry perform the with National Symphony at the Kennedy Center. Regardless of what you feel about their music, a concert like that is special. But again, it was live music being played on real instruments by real people.
I'd also throw in 60s and 70s, late 50s as the goat period for Jazz. Man...that period was just full of the best.

Reactions: Brillovol and SSVol
If "easing his transition" means chucking it to the defense more often than throwing to the (correct people in the) end zone, I'd agree.
He was clearly already "easing his transition" the last two years when we played.

My favorite was: "Will's done a good job of coming in and going to work." They appreciate that he at least shows up for practice.

I'm kinda of two minds on this subject. I do hate it because so many of our friends here are big Titans fans. Kinda takes the run out of trolling mayo boi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back