Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what many don't understand. Acquiring obvious talent is just part of the equation. Not only does that talent have to be developed, but so do the players that sign that weren't quite so obvious to most in high school. Then once you have enough quality talent AND depth, you have to plan and execute the X's and O's every single week. Granted the more talent and depth you have, the greater your margin of error is as a coach/ team. That talent and how it performs is not determined by sites though. The sites adjust their rankings too often by who kids are offered by or sign with, instead of serious evaluations. The key to successful recruiting is the evaluations of those that aren't blatantly "obvious", which can't be done by watching highlights and film alone. The sites give 32 kids a 5* rating every year. The trick for nearly every coach in the country is sifting through the remaining 1000+ kids that could potentially perform equal to, or better than those 32 "chosen ones" in your specific program.
I thought the trick was getting @BelieveTheHeup93 to tell you who you should sign.

Here's what many don't understand. Acquiring obvious talent is just part of the equation. Not only does that talent have to be developed, but so do the players that sign that weren't quite so obvious to most in high school. Then once you have enough quality talent AND depth, you have to plan and execute the X's and O's every single week. Granted the more talent and depth you have, the greater your margin of error is as a coach/ team. That talent and how it performs is not determined by sites though. The sites adjust their rankings too often by who kids are offered by or sign with, instead of serious evaluations. The key to successful recruiting is the evaluations of those that aren't blatantly "obvious", which can't be done by watching highlights and film alone. The sites give 32 kids a 5* rating every year. The trick for nearly every coach in the country is sifting through the remaining 1000+ kids that could potentially perform equal to, or better than those 32 "chosen ones" in your specific program.
You said that so much better than I do.

I don't even think it is reasonable to expect the sites to have the expertise or resources to be as accurate as some here think they are. They think those journalists are out ahead of Saban, Smart, et al. That they somehow "discover" most of these kids and rank them high before these coaches and their massive networks do.

The most fundamental thing these guys ignore is that the purpose of the recruiting sites is not to be "accurate" in the way they think. They're goal is subscriptions and clicks. That's how they get paid. They have an economic model like the rest of us. At a certain point (fairly low), the amount they need to invest to improve their accuracy isn't worth it. If they are "accurate enough" to keep fans subscribing and clicking... then that's good enough.

HC's on the other hand have to be much better than that. They need wins to keep their jobs and talent to get wins. The recruiting sites being 60% on 5* and 20% on 4* is "good enough" to keep payers on the hook. If a HC isn't right on at least 60-70% of his signees... he won't survive.

I have never seen someone so over hyped in all my life….His legend is built off Bowling Green, South Carolina, and Missouri…. He had one long catch the rest of the season and bailed on almost all our quality opponents…. The guy was a wuss, mentally inept player that doesn’t deserve our respect… jabari small would go out there with his arm dangling and bang it up in there until he couldn’t go no more… that is the VFL that deserves our respect…. Tiyon Evans is nothing, imo.
Nah this is a bad logic, by that logic you could say Hendon Hooker’s legacy is from torching a bad Florida defense and using Tillman in 2021 and Hyatt in 2022 to inflate his numbers. But I agree with you 100% on Jabari Small, dude practically played all last season with one shoulder and really doesn’t get enough credit

Why be sad? They aren’t our permanent opponents. They are Bama and UGAs. Some of our most successful teams of the last 25 years have been when Auburn was very good too. They aren’t a threat to us except for a few recruits. And those are players from GA and Alabama who were closer to home. Its not like they’re stealing kids from TN like Clemson.

Agree! I'd much rather see LSU or Auburn win than Alabama. When they are good, like LSU was at times last year and predicted to be this year, it makes it harder for Ala and GA to go undefeated. Also, possibly hurts their CFP chances. Hell, I'd rather see Clemson win than Ala or GA. And I really dislike Dabo!

Biggest "Blowout" in sports history?
Gotta be top 5
Without question Top 5, you kidding!!! As far as individual, it is the biggest, by far!! Tiger '97 Masters is second, imo; and, even it shouldn't be in the same thought as that race.

And, what makes it all the more awesome, winning the Triple Crown that way. Not just winning it, but being an absolute unstoppable, without doubt, bully about it.

Greatest racehorse of all time.

Nah this is a bad logic, by that logic you could say Hendon Hooker’s legacy is from torching a bad Florida defense and using Tillman in 2021 and Hyatt in 2022 to inflate his numbers. But I agree with you 100% on Jabari Small, dude practically played all last season with one shoulder and really doesn’t get enough credit
Tiyon Evans was a bum, period

To even try and compare him, IN ANY WAY, to HH, should get you shamed the hell out of here...and, I'm in no way in favor of shaming, at all.

Without question Top 5, you kidding!!! As far as individual, it is the biggest, by far!! Tiger '97 Masters is second, imo; and, even it shouldn't be in the same thought as that race.

And, what makes it all the more awesome, winning the Triple Crown that way. Not just winning it, but being an absolute unstoppable, without doubt, bully about it.

Greatest racehorse of all time.
73 Belmont
Spinks/Tyson
Redskins/Bears (73-0)

Tiyon Evans was a bum, period

To even try and compare him, IN ANY WAY, to HH, should get you shamed the hell out of here...and, I'm in no way in favor of shaming, at all.
I didn’t compare him to HH, I just said the logic that the dude used is like saying HH is only known for a few games, im purely talking about ball, not any of the off the field stuff

It helped us win the game the other coach whined to the refs and had them call the commish to try and get me gone…. In Little League they don’t stop the clock so time ended up running out before they could come back…. We were down to our last pitcher. LOL

My heart goes out to you, good sir. Little league parents are a handful.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Surprised this hasn't been posted but voltwitter found the guy who runs the southern miss barstool account:

Then they found the shortstops sisters only fans:

Lord have mercy youngin messed up.

you-really-effed-up-today-saturday-night-live.gif

HH gave us an overall product to judge…Evans didn’t. Benefit of the doubt goes to the former.

I would gladly take Northwestern's 10 P5 games over our 9.

How many teams play 9 P5 games? All of them.
It would make for more excitement as a fan. Cupcake game weeks aren’t the same. I like the notion of maybe 1 fcs week 1 and then everyone plays meaningful games. I just hate that for the fcs schools

I develop obsessions when it comes to music. And I will be honest, I love 2 of our state's genres Rock and Blues but have never been much for country (although I have learned to appreciate some and I do love more Folk/Bluegrass like the O Brother soundtrack. But at present I can't figure out why I'm obsessed with Delta Dawn. I think it's the honky tonk piano, harmonica and Tanya's vocals. Which when I got to really thinking about them - they are power vocals. More like Joplin or blues/rock than a country singer. I would love to hear her record some bluesy rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back