Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea I'll go with 99 also. We had a 2pt loss to Fla and 4 pt loss to Arky. That was a really good Defensive team.
I was only 5 that season, but I've gone back and watched some games from that season

What an atrocious underachievment that team was. Horrible coaching and horrible scheme on offense.

Seemed like Fulmer tried to make things harder on himself by playing down to the competition.

Reactions: Volfan39
That's easy, 1995 Peyton's SO Yr. We lost one game to Fla after having the lead early. TN and Peyton imploded with TO's that game. We ended up 3rd. 1996 a typical Fulmer year. We lost to Fla( again) by 6 then in Fulmer fashion we lose to Memphis. 1997, yet another loss to Fla. You see a trend here? 2 of the 3 yrs we were better than Fla. Even Spurrier bragged about beating Fulmer with less talent. Any of those 3 teams had the QB and talent to win it all. I guarantee you put Spurrier at TN instead of Fulmer, Peyton wins atleast 1, maybe 2. Point is we had the talent, especially in 95 when we finished 3rd. The other 2 years were top 9 with typical bad Fulmer losses.Fulmer was a great Recruiter but was not a great HC. He just had a lot of talent on different teams.
Had that 1995 UT team won against Florida, then we would have played against Nebraska in the 1996 Fiesta Bowl (played on 1/2/1996) rather than Florida. Nebraska beat Florida 62-24, and the game wasn't even as close as that score would indicate. I was at that game. It was like watching an NFL team line up against a Pop Warner team. Nebraska absolutely mauled Florida. There was NO WAY we were going to win a national championship that year.

Reactions: hooter vol
I was only 5 that season, but I've gone back and watched some games from that season

What an atrocious underachievment that team was. Horrible coaching and horrible scheme on offense.

Seemed like Fulmer tried to make things harder on himself by playing down to the competition.

You're Exactly right! .. It also didn't help that Coach Cut left for Ole Miss and Fulmer promoted Sorry a$$ Randy Sanders instead of hiring a greatand experienced OC. 6 of our games we scored 24 or less, almost lost to Mem 17-16. It was some horrible offensive football.

You're Exactly right! .. It also didn't help that Coach Cut left for Ole Miss and Fulmer promoted Sorry a$$ Randy Sanders instead of hiring a greatand experienced OC. 6 of our games we scored 24 or less, almost lost to Mem 17-16. It was some horrible offensive football.
Reminded me of the offense Pruitt ran here.

It's like Fulmer and Sanders tried not to score. Run up the middle and little dump passes to the RB and the occasional deep shot.

Had that 1995 UT team won against Florida, then we would have played against Nebraska in the 1996 Fiesta Bowl (played on 1/2/1996) rather than Florida. Nebraska beat Florida 62-24, and the game wasn't even as close as that score would indicate. I was at that game. It was like watching an NFL team line up against a Pop Warner team. Nebraska absolutely mauled Florida. There was NO WAY we were going to win a national championship that year.

We probably wouldn't have, that Nebraska team blew out everyone and was one of the best College Football teams I've team. But like they say, any given Saturday. They probably would have boatraced us, but till you play you never know. Say one of our DL's or LB's knock Frazier out, then it levels the playing field. I would have liked to have found out. And it's crazy, Frazier was a $hitty passer, but they would run the ball down everyone's throat. I guess I should have said we should have played for more NC's under Fulmer. Fulmer and Peyton choked against UF every year. Peyton lost 6 games as a starter, 3 to Fla, 1 to Ala, 1 to Memphis and 1 to Nebr.

That 1999 team also lost in the Fiesta Bowl 21-31 to Nebraska on 1/2/2000.

Yea I didn't say that one because if we win the other 2 we never play Nebraska. We couldn't run on Nebr now could be stop them. Chavis had no clue how to stop those type offenses. That Nebr team had 1 four pt loss themselves. They could have beaten Fla St if they had gotten in instead of VA Tech.

Feeling in danger and actually being in danger are two different things though.

And people are downright bad at determining when wildlife is and is not posing a threat to them.

And yet, here we are. Feeling in danger is really all a person has to go off of. It's kind of like self defense laws. You have to protect yourself, and you'd better be able to give an explanation as to why you reasonably felt in danger. Standing there and getting your head bashed, or floating there and getting drowned, is not the best catch-all choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back