Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn…all the way out here in OKC this question reminds me I’m pure Tennessean. We had 3 area codes. When they went to 4, Knoxville got the one that spells VOL. My original area code shifted west to the same town that stole the claim to capital of Tennessee.
I also remember the old license plates that started with a number based on county population. Shelby, Davidson, etc.
I remember! I also remembered them by the main city in each one so 1 - Memphis, 2 - Nashville, 3-Knoxville, 4 - Chattanooga, 5 - Kinsport/Bristol, 6 - Johnson City... I thought it was so cool that our tags allowed us to know that!

I thought the entire state was 423 then Memphis got 901 then Nashville got 615 then Knoxville 865 and now the tri cities are getting a new area code but I don't remember what it is
The entire state was 615 originally, I think...

Oops - forgot about Memphis 901

Last edited:
I remember! I also remembered them by the main city in each one so 1 - Memphis, 2 - Nashville, 3-Knoxville, 4 - Chattanooga, 5 - Kinsport/Bristol, 6 - Johnson City... I thought it was so cool that our tags allowed us to know that!

Yeah, we had a little card in the glovebox with the codes for each county.
Before we had computers in our pockets to entertain us, we memorized state counties by population rank.

Phillip Fulmer's candidates to replace Jeremy Pruitt at Tennessee revealed

Hugh Freeze
Billy Napier
Tee Martin
Shane Beamer
Justin Wilcox
Bill O'Brien
Will Healy
Luke Fickell
Matt Campbell
Jeff Monken
Blake Anderson
Jamey Chadwell
Tony Elliot
Mike Elko
Joe Brady
"Alex French"
"Louisville"
"Missouri"

Tennessee athletics director Phillip Fulmer considered some eye-opening candidates to replace Jeremy Pruitt as Vols football coach before Pruitt was fired and Fulmer retired in January 2021, an internal university email shows.

Former UT quarterback Tee Martin, Auburn coach Hugh Freeze, Florida coach Billy Napier and South Carolina coach Shane Beamer were on his list of 16 potential candidates.

And so was a coach Fulmer called Alex French, whoever that is.

Knox News obtained the email through an open records request.

It contains additional revelations about Fulmer’s state of mind during the early stages of an investigation into NCAA major recruiting violations under Pruitt.

In the email titled “Football Appraisal,” Fulmer argued that Pruitt should be retained as coach.

“I am not (at) all advocating a change in football and hope we do not get there with pending issues,” Fulmer wrote. “I do believe we can overcome our challenges, and I have seen signs of progress.”

Fulmer listed 16 coaches to consider, along with a brief comment on some.

Beside Freeze, he wrote “baggage.”

Beside Napier, Fulmer acknowledged his ties to Alabama.

Martin, the quarterback for Fulmer’s 1998 national title team, was the first name on the list.

Beamer was on the list, but he was hired by South Carolina in December 2020.

Fulmer acknowledged that Bill O’Brien had been recently fired as the Houston Texans coach, but he still made the list.

Beside Will Healy, Fulmer wrote “young, dynamic.”

The rest of Fulmer’s list featured coaches who were considered for other jobs in late 2020 and early 2021.

They included: Cincinnati coach Luke Fickell; Iowa State coach Matt Campbell; Army coach Jeff Monken; Utah State coach Blake Anderson (then at Arkansas State); Liberty coach Jamey Chadwell (then at Coastal Carolina); Virginia coach Tony Elliot (then Clemson offensive coordinator); Duke coach Mike Elko (then Texas A&M defensive coordinator); Buffalo Bills quarterbacks coach Joe Brady (then Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator).

One final name was a head-scratcher: Alex French.

That name doesn’t match any known candidates for college football jobs in recent years. If Fulmer made a mistake, it’s unclear for whom he was referring.

But one possibility is Alex Grinch. In 2021, he was the Oklahoma defensive coordinator. Now he’s the defensive coordinator and safeties coach at Southern Cal. Grinch is also the nephew of former Missouri coach Gary Pinkel.

Fulmer also wrote Louisville and Missouri with his list of coaches but did not include names. At the time, Scott Satterfield coached Louisville and Eliah Drinkwitz coached Missouri.

Below the “coaches to consider,” Fulmer listed a few traits that he thought UT’s next coach should have. He wrote “offensive coach, great recruiter, disciplined, developer of players, builder of men.”

Last edited:
11 vacated wins from the unforgettable 2019 and 2020 seasons. How terrible.

Can't wait to see the Clemson fans whine because we don't have to vacate the Orange Bowl win. Tiger tears!
2019 was a pretty fun ending

11 wins that still count

Vacating wins is literally the dumbest thing ever

Need a recruiting win to get this place back on track.

Hang your suits up, put those dress shoes away, our day in court is over. Get your Saturday best ready, the season is approaching.
Nice
I see you got 2XL
Now we know why you are Big Steve..not just Steve
I will make sure never to make you mad 😀

fry-egg-on-sidewalk.gif
i will take 3 scrambled..hold the gravel

Below the “coaches to consider,” Fulmer listed a few traits that he thought UT’s next coach should have. He wrote “offensive coach, great recruiter, disciplined, developer of players, builder of men.” "

^^I know Fulmer comes from the offensive side but given that Pruitt was a defensive minded coach, I think it's telling that Fulmer was thinking about an offensive minded coach while Pruitt was still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back