Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vol Nation....
I need your support & prayers.
My wife was admitted to the hospital late last night. She suffered a stroke at 35 years old and is pregnant with our 3rd child. Please keep us in your thoughts.
Prayers sent. You have to be strong. I said a Prayer for you as well. I had a stroke in 2009 and I did not go to the hospital for four days.

Shane Beamer would’ve absolutely come to Tennessee if Fulmer was the AD and he got the call and offer. He was a GA for 3 years under Fulmer and has fond memories of Knoxville. He said so himself. He was an assistant at SC for only 4 seasons too. He would’ve spun the same “I’m coming home. This is my dream job!” banter that he used when introduced at South Carolina.

I’m really glad that we didn’t have to face that reality.

Shane Beamer would’ve been such a Tennessee hire. 🙄

We have not had any good comedies in 2 decades?
Those SUCK compared to the classic comedies……

This was my initial reaction as well, and it made me think about whether that’s objectively true. I have a theory that what makes a comedy an enduring “classic” in one’s mind is directly related to the age range in which you saw it. Most of the comedies we think of as classic (Blazing Saddles, Animal House, Blues Brothers, Caddyshack, Stripes, Trading Places, etc.) were movies that we saw when we were teenagers. At that age you have a group of buddies you saw everyday at school or your neighborhood or socially. You probably watched the movie with some of them, and you repeat the funny lines back and forth constantly. On repeat watching, you laugh even before the joke gets told because you know it’s coming.

As you get older, you get married, have kids, you may have moved to a different city, and you only get together with your buddies sporadically. That feedback loop is gone, and the movie that you watched with your wife may have had a bunch of laughs in it, but the jokes don’t get constantly reinforced in your mind so that they “stick” going forward like when you saw Beverly Hills Cop with your buddies when you were 15 and went around saying “I’m not gonna fall for the banana in the tailpipe trick” for the next 6 months.

Another part of it is the popular culture context that slowly shifts over time. The rebellious early days of SNL were hilarious to me, but show a current high school student clips of John Belushi doing the samurai bit or Chevy Chase doing a no-impression impression of Gerald Ford and you’ll get blank stares. A lot of the comedy was based on pushing back at the establishment and over time the establishment has changed. Does the college administration and social hierarchy depicted in Animal House in any way resemble the current college equivalent?

I also absolutely agree with the critique that so much material for jokes has been taken off the table by the new puritans who run popular culture that it’s hard to put together a full movie of good jokes to make a “great” comedy. Nevertheless, three that I would choose from the last two decades that weren’t on that list are Everybody Wants Some, Bridesmaids, and Sideways.

BTW, a great legal drama is “The Verdict” with Paul Newman.

Shane Beamer would’ve been such a Tennessee hire. 🙄
I’m not sure who is the bigger nerd/goofball - Butch or Beamer. But, yes, we dodged a bullet in not getting Shane who is NOTHING like his Dad who I thought was a class guy.
When you look at all of the coaches we went through to finally get to Heupel, I’m reminded of that old nursery rhyme saying that “you have to kiss a lot of frogs 🐸 before you find your Prince 🤴”.
Here’s hoping that Josh is the Vols Prince and not just another frog.

This vacating wins portion is crap. Fortunately with Pruitt there are not many to vacate

Can we also self impose vacating the losses? I would rather the pruitt years just be a big blank spot in Tennessee football history.

Vacating personal records should only apply to the players who are known to have accepted the illegal benefits.
Why punish those who did nothing wrong?

We write a check and move on. This becomes an administrative issue (at worst) that we'll push under the rug. No bowl ban and a minor loss of recruiting makes this a nuisance for a relatively brief period. Current recruits won't care and future recruits won't even know about or remember it. In 5 years, it'll quietly go away.

This is a big win for UT's leadership. Well done.

It honestly should not hurt now. At first glance, I was pissed, but then I realized that CJH and staff have already done way more with way less. In the grand scheme of things, it’s not a big deal.
It’s actually worse for the ncaa. They praised and praised Tennessee’s efforts to take care of an evil and conniving staff. Then the ncaa turns around and imposes more sanctions. It’s a really bad look for them because they have now served notice to other schools that cooperation may or may not help your infractions case.
I’m truly hoping that pruitt’s show cause starts now. His stint in the nfl probably opened some eyes in the coaching community that he is really nothing special unless he’s got way superior talent. He is just like saban and smart. Their game plan is to mostly out talent the opponent.

The landscape of college football is about to change significantly. Now that the albatross of pruitt’s idiocracy is no longer hanging over our heads, our coaching staff is about to decimate our opponents one game at a time. As the opposition gets steamrolled game by game this season, coaches like smart are going to panic. It’s going to be glorious when we welcome uga into Neyland. They have no idea what loud really is. Poor dawgs will need hearing aids. If they thought it was loud against bama in ‘22, wait for the ear shattering noise that’s going to greet them in ‘23.

Anyone with me?

15-0 🤠

The Hateful Eight!
Fight Club!

Don't know that I've seen The Hateful Eight, but I have seen Fight Club. While there are some humorous moments in the movie, I don't know that it falls into the comedy genre. Unless you have a really really really twisted sense of humor.

makes sense because you know what youre getting for your $. seems like most of these kids are basically striving us along to the hughest bid. That isnt self sustaining.

This is what A&M did. They brought in the highest paid mercenaries and got screwed by those same mercenaries who subsequently hit the portal.

It’s a valuable lesson that Tennessee learned through the pruitt folly. Look at all those players who jumped ship. To me, the travesty is that there were no consequences to the players or the team that knowingly took them.

Since Tennessee had to vacate any win those players played in, why not bama for tootoo? Or oklahoma for those players? I’m betting that the ncaa could find knowledge of wrongdoing at the school they transferred to. It won’t happen, but fun to think about.

It honestly should not hurt now. At first glance, I was pissed, but then I realized that CJH and staff have already done way more with way less. In the grand scheme of things, it’s not a big deal.
It’s actually worse for the ncaa. They praised and praised Tennessee’s efforts to take care of an evil and conniving staff. Then the ncaa turns around and imposes more sanctions. It’s a really bad look for them because they have now served notice to other schools that cooperation may or may not help your infractions case.
I’m truly hoping that pruitt’s show cause starts now. His stint in the nfl probably opened some eyes in the coaching community that he is really nothing special unless he’s got way superior talent. He is just like saban and smart. Their game plan is to mostly out talent the opponent.

The landscape of college football is about to change significantly. Now that the albatross of pruitt’s idiocracy is no longer hanging over our heads, our coaching staff is about to decimate our opponents one game at a time. As the opposition gets steamrolled game by game this season, coaches like smart are going to panic. It’s going to be glorious when we welcome uga into Neyland. They have no idea what loud really is. Poor dawgs will need hearing aids. If they thought it was loud against bama in ‘22, wait for the ear shattering noise that’s going to greet them in ‘23.

Anyone with me?

15-0 🤠
yeah-fired-up.gif

I have lived in East Tennessee my whole life and didn't hear about them until my early 30s when I started traveling regularly to Johnson City with my wife.

i worked at the Pals in Colonial Heights back in the early 90’s. 🤣. Every time i go home i make it a point to stop by and chow down!

Also, media narrative of UT avoiding a bowl ban is bogus. Postseason ban was off the table way back.

That’s okay with me. That’s what the recruits are looking at. Make it the top headline. Only helps Tennessee. The visit and scholarship reductions can be worked easily to our advantage.
Telling a recruit that they are special enough to be trusted with one of our limited visits or scholarships can help them to feel honored to receive the opportunity at Tennessee. At uga or bama, you are just another number. You will ride the pine there. At Tennessee, you will play, win and embarrass those schools in the national spotlight!

Come be a part of

15-0 🤠

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back