Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RikidyBones food is finally ready at Ratliff’s grill???
madeas-big-happy-family-tyler-perry.gif

Couldn't get rid of @RikidyBones
I want my money back 🫤

Y'all got your food in a timely manner. Maybe.

The lump sum payment is about half. Then you would have to pay taxes. So if the lottery was $1.5bil. The lump sum payment would be around $750mil. Then you’d had to pay 24% in federal taxes and any state taxes as well if applicable. Lottery is a scam. It’s the government taking money from the people.
Disproportionately affects the lower and middle classes as well. It is a scam.

The lump sum payment is about half. Then you would have to pay taxes. So if the lottery was $1.5bil. The lump sum payment would be around $750mil. Then you’d had to pay 24% in federal taxes and any state taxes as well if applicable. Lottery is a scam. It’s the government taking money from the people.
You, Sir are a true scholar and a gentleman.

Hubbs says he hasn't heard anything about surgery but that he expects Cooper to be out for a while.
This would be a very tough break for us. Mays is the signal caller for our OL and knows our offense inside and out. He's a leader and the lynchpin up front.

I see this in today's practice reports:
Center Cooper Mays was not out there for the open portion of practice for the third straight day. The senior is extremely important to Tennessee’s offensive line and his absence early in camp adds an emphasis to the need to find his back up.
As we noted Tuesday, Ollie Lane— who appears to be the favorite to start at left guard— slid to first team center during drills with Texas transfer Andrej Karic working at left guard beside John Campbell.

And:
Cooper Mays remains extremely limited this week and was not out on the field while the media was present. We would be surprised, frankly, if he plays in the scrimmage tomorrow. Three weeks from now is much more important for a guy like Mays compared to a preseason intrasquad scrimmage.

With Cooper Mays sidelined, Ollie Lane has slid over and joined the conversation at center. Lane is still very much in the conversation at left guard – maybe the leader in fact at this current time – but the need for some quality reps at center was vital this week as Mays is sidelined. Lane has taken reps at center with the twos and threes his entire Tennessee career though he is a guard by nature. Addison Nichols, Vysen Lang and Parker Ball continue to work at the position as well.

Less horrible now than at the last practice, but still horrible news.

Yes, NW Arkansas is different. But Arkansas and Ole Miss used to play at Crump Stadium in Memphis. I think my father in law mentioned this and maybe sold cokes there as a kid? Arkansas has some southern traditions.
I remember Ole Miss and Memphis playing at Crump Stadium. It was a glorified high school stadium :cool::cool::cool:

Most of those are on the right side behind an absolute mauler Will Ofenheusle! Cool clip getting to watch my cousin just obliterate some dudes

Will was a business major and in one of my classes. I recall him walking out of a class before leaving for the UF game and telling everyone we were going to win.

I remember Ole Miss and Memphis playing at Crump Stadium. It was a glorified high school stadium :cool::cool::cool:

It is now a high school stadium. But back in the 50’s….

We went to see UT play Arkansas in the 90’s in Little Rock. We parked on the golf course, and as we get out of the car, a UT fan pulls up next to a parking attendant. He asks if that was the stadium. After an affirmative, he says, “That’s a damn high school stadium.” It was cold and all night long we hear the bourbon bottles clank down the stands. Underneath the bleaches is a “ramp” where everything thrown down collects at the bottom.

Lol 24%. If only. That's merely the required witholding for those that take the cash option.

Top tax bracket is 37% last I saw. So, effective tax rate of...well...36.99% or so.

Yes the cash option is much less than the annuity option, that much should be obvious. All lotteries are based on annuity payouts. I think the cash option is favorable though, given the imputed annuity interest rate (something like only 4-4.5%).

But yes, all "legalized gambling" via the state is a tax on the mathematically inclined.

The best one can do is buy tickets centered around a $600 million dollar payout. The -EV drops close to 0. Enough to warrant an "entertainment expense" for some. Spend $20 at -EV of $2...most can swallow that. It's the ones that spend $20 a week at -EV of $19 week after week you really wonder about.

As for the "government taking money from people" - I'd say it is people voluntarily (albeit maybe misinformed? Or maybe not sadly) throwing money away and into the futures of college students. Often the poorest...funding the future of young folks, many already better off than those buying tickets. Still a money funnel upwards I do agree. But that's folks' choice. At least legalize poker (a game of long-term skill) and stop being hypocrites.
Agree with all of that. Explained all the +EV details to my dad once the prize pool is over a certain amount. Sort of like sunken cost in reverse. Told him that is the only time I ever buy tickets. He actually bought a ticket this time. As a poker player I can talk about EV and probabilities and other geeky math concepts until the other person tells me to shut up, lol.

All the things you said about how the lottery operates is true. I will add the thing that infuriates me though. So the government allows a lottery, and even runs it for us 😁, because the "people" want the product. The government knows its a product that people want to buy but they also know the effects. They know that most of the money comes from people that don't have the money to waste on it. People that need that money to pay the bills. People that are predisposed to fall for the trap that it presented like a prince on a white horse. And knowing all that they ADVERTISE for the lottery. The government makes commercials to try to influence people to buy tickets?!?! That is honestly disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back