Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what the jackpot was but I'm guessing close to 2 billion. Let's just say 1.4 billion. 50% tax woukd get you 700 mill. So how is 38% equal to getting 600 mill? I'm asking because I have no clue about this
If you’re smart, and elect the lump sum, your “take” will be roughly 1/3 of the top line payout after the government takes its pound of flesh.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
The lump sum payment is about half. Then you would have to pay taxes. So if the lottery was $1.5bil. The lump sum payment would be around $750mil. Then you’d had to pay 24% in federal taxes and any state taxes as well if applicable. Lottery is a scam. It’s the government taking money from the people.
It’s mostly a tax, on poor people.

Are you serious? Is that comment for real?

The 1980 Trans Am is one the most beautiful, bad ass cars ever to be made, not to mention 80s Monte Carlo's and Lincolns. The 90s...yeah, not so much.

Some of the best country music ever heard was early 80s; and, bands like Talking Heads and New Order hit their strides...and, Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones ruled the world. Not only did the 90s have the great early music, but they gave birth to My Morning Jacket, The Strokes, The White Stripes, and I could go on.

Many films of those decades STILL hold up, with no movie being made before or since, as funny as 1987's Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, along with Vacation (1983), Christmas Vacation (1989), Uncle Buck (1989), and The Great Outdoors (1988).

And, do I have to mention three of the greatest cinematic masterpieces ever laid eyes and hears on: Blade Runner (1982), Goodfellas (1990), and Fargo (1996). I definitely could go on here.

As for the fashion? Love it or hate it, there's a reason trends keep going back to BOTH the 80s and 90s.

I'd say they redeemed themselves pretty well.

Oh, I almost forgot...one of my five favorite books of all time was published in 1987, The Bonfire Of The Vanities. I could go on here, as well.

Instead of the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, etc….let’s look at specific time periods. The mid 70’s thru the early to mid 80’s may have been the best period for music…rock/country/pop/etc. Since the late 80’s music overall has been so-so if even that.

Funny movies: I will put up Blazing Saddles (1974), Caddyshack (1980), Life of Brian (1979), Young Frankenstein (1974), and Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) up against any of the comedy movies you mentioned. Most any Mel Brooks movie, no matter when made, was genius. The Princess Bride (1987) can make its case.

The 60’s Ford Mustangs, the mid 60’s to early 70’s Chevelle SS’, along with the early 80’s Trans Am’s you mentioned were the cream of the crop. Other muscle cars in that era not to be excluded.

As with anything else, good movies are subjective and in the eye of the beholder. Of those you mentioned, only Goodfellows was top notch imo.

In today’s world, it is so hard to find anything worth mentioning in this conversation…in any category. Maybe Chris Stapleton being the only thing that comes to mind.

Instead of the 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, etc….let’s look at specific time periods. The mid 70’s thru the early to mid 80’s may have been the best period for music…rock/country/pop/etc. Since the late 80’s music overall has been so-so if even that.

Funny movies: I will put up Blazing Saddles (1974), Caddyshack (1980), Life of Brian (1979), Young Frankenstein (1974), and Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) up against any of the comedy movies you mentioned. Most any Mel Brooks movie, no matter when made, was genius. The Princess Bride (1987) can make its case.

The 60’s Ford Mustangs, the mid 60’s to early 70’s Chevelle SS’, along with the early 80’s Trans Am’s you mentioned were the cream of the crop. Other muscle cars in that era not to be excluded.

As with anything else, good movies are subjective and in the eye of the beholder. Of those you mentioned, only Goodfellows was top notch imo.

In today’s world, it is so hard to find anything worth mentioning in this conversation…in any category. Maybe Chris Stapleton being the only thing that comes to mind.
My post was just off the top of my head, in the moment, responding to a laughable comment. If i did a deep dive into it all...

Love all those comedies you mentioned...im a huge Monty Python fan!!!; and, yes, they are some of the funniest movies ever made (especially Blazing Saddles, Holy Grail, or Life Of Brian)...however, none as funny as Planes Trains and Automobiles or Vacation, imo.

With you on most of what you said, then you lost me at Blade Runner and Fargo not being top notch; and, with Stapleton being the only one who came to mind...I like Stapleton, but the list is long of who I prefer before him.

My post was just off the top of my head, in the moment, responding to a laughable comment. If i did a deep dive into it all...

Love all those comedies you mentioned...im a huge Monty Python fan!!!; and, yes, they are some of the funniest movies ever made (especially Blazing Saddles, Holy Grail, or Life Of Brian)...however, none as funny as Planes Trains and Automobiles or Vacation, imo.

With you on most of what you said, then you lost me at Blade Runner and Fargo not being top notch; and, with Stapleton being the only one who came to mind...I like Stapleton, but the list is long of who I prefer before him.
Why is no one mentioning Animal House?

Yes, it is funnier than Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. And Vacation.

If you’re smart, and elect the lump sum, your “take” will be roughly 1/3 of the top line payout after the government takes its pound of flesh.
It's the same no matter which option you choose in theory (assuming similar tax rates over time...middling investments). It is the prize amount (1.5bb or 2bb whatever) minus fed and state taxes.

You'll end up with ~50-63% of the prize after federal taxes and depending on state taxes after the 30 year annuitization period. There's no world where you end up with only 1/3 of the money to spend on your own. The government takes its taxes and that's it. It can be on the backend (annuity option) or upfront at the 37, 39 whatever percent if taking the cash option. Same for states.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
This would be a very tough break for us. Mays is the signal caller for our OL and knows our offense inside and out. He's a leader and the lynchpin up front.

I see this in today's practice reports:

And:

Less horrible now than at the last practice, but still horrible news.
Yeesh.

We've had a good run injury wise during Heupel.

Therefore I fully expect him to be a bulldozer Game 1 through Game 15 and win the Outlandish Trophy or whatever it is.

Always better to go the annuity route for these large jackpots. Claim the reward in a trust and get your 5% bump increases every year and get the entire amount in 30 years.
While I disagree on the payout and would rather grow the winnings in the stock market with added alpha and end up with more in 30 years, I do agree a blind trust would be optimal...unfortunately a lot of states don't allow them for lottery winnings. Last I read NC does not. Basically can't have anonymity afaik if you win the lottery, which seems like bs. Thought I get the worry of shady dealings too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back