Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
He actually doesn't make the big bucks. He's #8 of 12 in Salary for our coaching staff. He was the only position coach to not get a contract extension. If he was doing his job and putting guys in the NFL, he wouldn't be sweating out the final year of his contract. We all know what that means.. Improve your secondary or look for new employment after the season. There's a reason he was at C. Fla and not a bigger name school. Who was the last DB or Safety he had drafted, started or even played in the NFL?
Alontae Taylor and Theo Jackson were both drafted in 2022.

His point is, it's time for Martinez to put up or shut up. If you think his cbs have performed well the last two years I don't know what to tell you LOL
Martinez did a heck of a job last season, imo…. I do think he may be moving on after this season either by his choice or Heups. Here is the talent that he was working with:

1. W. Burrell…. Out for the season early
2. K Hadden….. here bc he couldn’t win a job on a poor Auburn team
3. W.Walker…… started for GA Tech but never received an All-conference vote
4. T McDonald…. 86 rated 3* on 247/5.8 4* on rivals… decent prospect
5. D Williams….. out all fall/late addition who looks to be ST player only
6. C Charles….88 rated 3* 247…. Good athlete who staff protected as safety but played cb out of necessity
7. J McCullough…. Played under two staffs…. We know the fans opinion of him.
8.A Turrentine…. Couldn’t find any playing time at Ohio State
9. T Flowers…. Played under two staffs… fans celebrating his leaving the program
10. D Slaughter…. Nickel back/ safety forced to play cb who played much better than expected
11. B Turnage…. Not close to earning playing time at Bama… VQ reported how out of position that he was all the time… first game…. He looked lost…. Really improved before being injured
12.Deshawn Rucker 89 3* on 247 that hasn’t earned much time yet.
13. Linebackers are not known for their pass coverage.

Tennessee went from allowing 31.5 ppg to 22.7 ppg…. That doesn’t happen if the secondary isn’t contributing. They had some definite breakdowns such as the SC game, Alabama, and Georgia games which is to be expected until you are able to get enough talent in here. I don’t really consider Florida a breakdown since that had to more to do with the defense that we were using to contain Richardsons running ability… They were absolutely lights out against LSU, Kentucky, Missouri 2nd half, Clemson….Stats will always look skewed against the defense bc of the style of play that we use…

I feel that this year will be another step forward….. in two-three years…. The speed and athleticism in the secondary will be on another level from where it is now.

And I say that while admitting I've been a Willie Martinez critic. Definitely things I think he could improve upon, like getting his DBs to track the ball, but I'm not going to deny he's put guys in the league.

I know Georgia Fans don't miss Martinez. Not that it matters to us.

The DBs had some good games last year. I'm a little more optimistic about DBs now than I was this time last year.

I don't think the "lack of talent" excuse flies anymore for WM.

I’m in a 10 team fantasy league auction with all long time friends. 3 are Alabama fans. We submit songs to play when we win a bid. This year was Dixieland Delight. I won a bid, it gets played, and Jaylen Waddle is the next nomination. They get distracted and start talking, and I get Waddle for $5. To be honest, I was also halfway paying attention, but they were pissed.

I know Georgia Fans don't miss Martinez. Not that it matters to us.

The DBs had some good games last year. I'm a little more optimistic about DBs now than I was this time last year.

I don't think the "lack of talent" excuse flies anymore for WM.
I don’t think talent level will be where needs to be till next season…. Hard to rely on freshman…. I do expect a step forward this year…. Georgia fans didn’t complain about Willie until he became DC…. I have a feeling he will leave after this season…. Hopefully, we go and get a great coach to replace him.

I remember the good ole days as a student playing against the BBall players during the off season (both women's team and men's team). I can attest to the fact that Dog Roth had crazy long arms. Took a shot at least 6ft away from him and he blocked it. Believe Dyron Nix was out there as well. Good times.

I played intramural basketball against Reggie White. Or should I say that we watched him play. When he drove the lane, we just got out of his way 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back