Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not among those who think they were the greatest of all time, but someone posted a video this week that showed if they had not scored an offensive touchdown they would have gone 8-4 on field goals and defensive touchdowns. It doesn’t really have a bearing on your comment. It’s just a mind boggling random statistic.
Oh!!!...they were awesome, no doubt...among the greatest; and, they may have very well blown us out, idk...they didn't necessarily "skull drag" Nebraska in the title game, so...

And, yeah...that defensive stat is mind-blowing. They were great, indeed; but, so was their 2002 team that was upset by Ohio St. 2002 team wasn't as good as the 2001 team; but, if you remember, they were supposed to be unstoppable, too...until the title game and Ohio St happened.

Idk about skull-dragging us. You talking about the way they skull-drug Boston College (18-7) or Virginia Tech (26-24)?? Both finished 8-4 on the season.

Maybe, maybe not. We were about the only team that could have matched up with them athletically and speed wise. I don't necessarily disagree that they may have beaten us; but, "skull-dragging" is, as you like to say, conjecture.

Interesting. In 2001 we lost to an 8-4 UGA team that ended up losing to the same Boston College team in the bowl game. Look I don’t see why you honestly think we matched up with them. Why? Honest question. Now the 2001 TN Vols ever mentioned as one of the greatest teams of all time? You know the answer. It’s no. Now is 2001 Miami mentioned as one of the GOATS? Yes.

We beat Syracuse 33-9. Miami beat them 59-0. You wanna bring up they struggled with two teams, one of them ranked VT. Ok. In 2001, we barely beat a 2-9 UK team by 3, who by the way had a first time HC. We also struggled with a 7-5 Arkansas. You can pretend like the 2001 team would have matched up with Miami if you want. But they smashed a really good Nebraska team at the end of the year.

If I had known that night that Hamilton was going to do what he did, I would've agreed with you.

Knowing now what we know, however, I actually believe the nuking began with how Fulmer was handled, into the hiring of Kiffin, while brushing Gary Patterson aside like crumbs. Snowballed from those moves.

In no way do I believe Kiffin is guiltless, not at all...however, what keeps me from outright pure hatred of him, is knowing that I would have done the same exact thing if the Vols had come calling me.
Show of hands in hindsight, how many of you believe Kiffen will bolt for his in the middle of night ‘dream job’ after his post press conference resignation from Ole Piss? 🙋‍♀️.

August 23, 1784,
The following May, the counties petitioned for statehood as “Frankland” to the United States Congress.

franklin.jpg
Frankland 👀

And yet it still exists today. Known as the RF. Thanks @frank for all your ancestors did to build the best damn Vol forum on the internet in 1784.

I read an article about the White Sox and Nashville............Haha.
Leverage for upgrade stadium or new one.

Nashville will get an expansion team in the next 5-8 years. BOOK IT!:oops:
I smell Braves tears already.

Those poor Georgians about to lose their grip on southeast MLB.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Three statisticians approached St. Peter at the pearly gates to Heaven. St. Peter, in a kind and gentle voice, instructed them to give their name and state what they had contributed to mankind while on earth.
The first statistician stepped up confidently and said, “I am Karl Pearson and I developed the famous correlation coefficient at the start of the 20th century and it has been used by multitudes of researchers for almost 100 years.” St. Peter nodded and said, “Oh yes, that was a monumental contribution to statistics and the world. You may pass through.”
The second statistician planted both feet firmly and said in a cocky fashion, “I am Sir Ronald Fisher and I founded the entire area of experimental design in the 1920;s and multitudes of researchers have used these techniques for about 70 years.” St. Peter smiled broadly and said “That indeed was a landmark breakthrough in statistics and contributed to the betterment of mankind. You may also walk through the gates.”
The third statistician hesitated but finally walked up slowly to St. Peter. he said timidly, “I am Joe Schmutz and I taught a former Vice President, who was a very reserved man, several dance steps that he used in a well-known political TV commercial.” St. Peter, with a puzzled look on his face, stared at the man and said, “That is all well and good sir but it has absolutely nothing to do with statistics and I fail to see how your action has helped mankind.” The poor statistician thought for a second. He then quickly retorted,
“But St. Peter….These steps became the famous AL-GORE-RHYTHM that helped George Bush win the Presidential election in the year 2000!!….”

If @ChattaTNVol told one liner dad jokes...

@Orangeredblooded Anytime (or never lol) is OK. I know you're busy!

Changing the subject to an older one: I can't find Scotch bonnet peppers. It's habaneros all the way down.

Now are these the same pepper? I thought so. And like "corriander" (long in use here) vs "cilantro," I thought maybe scotch bonnets have simply been re-named and spoken about as if they were a new arrival.

Or are habaneros very similar to Scotch bonnets but sweeter and without the smoke hint that you admire. This is how they taste to me. Also, as happens with things that get popular, the quality seems to have turned erratic. I recently bought habaneros where some were not in the least hot, while others in the same batch were fire. This was dangerous and comical because seeing that the first ones were like (thin walled and not very good) orange bell peppers, I had taken to chomping on them raw and in sizable bites as a side dish. I paid a high price when a normal habanero turned up in that mix! 🔥

What do you -- or any of you guys -- think?

Last edited:
Let me as this because I'm curious.
ESPN FPI in an article I read had us at just over 8 wins.
Vegas has our O/U at 9.5
I've thought all off season 10-2 was our mark.
So, would you all be ok with 8-4 this year?
Not quite. 9.5 is negatively juiced. The even bet in Vegas is 9.0 wins right now.

FPI has had us at ~8.3 wins iirc for some time. I tend to fall pretty close to them when I run my simulator typically, but have grown more optimistic this season and landed at just about 9 wins on average (or maybe it's that time of year 😅).

So, I wouldn't say 8-4 would be far off the mark. It would be the same as 10-2, but in a different direction. 2nd/3rd most likely behind 9-3.

Fwiw I don't believe 10.0 wins has been a mark set by anyone in the industry. Most recognize we can be a top-10 sort of team, but our schedule still drains our win total to a degree.

Screenshot_20230823_182517.jpg

Reactions: Brillovol and ugg
Show of hands in hindsight, how many of you believe Kiffen will bolt for his in the middle of night ‘dream job’ after his post press conference resignation from Ole Piss? 🙋‍♀️.
Kiffin tried to run out on Ole Miss to Auburn last season. There was a lot of publicity, and everyone already knew anyway because he was also applying for the job in public over Twitter in addition to what he was doing backstage. Now, this was the week before Ole Miss's final game against in-state rival MSU. Imagine having to endure your coach publicly wanting to walk out on you. Kiff does it every season.

Said this in my last post too but the depth chart in 2023 is crazy. This is the most veteran team we've had in a while in the two-deep. RS SRs everywhere. Going to be YOUNG in 2024. That could be an 8-4ish type season IMO, but if Nico is transcendent at QB, he can add an extra 1-2 wins in this scheme.
Are the RS SRs not partially due to the covid free year? Think a lot of teams have them, so it's sort of a wash. And lots of teams will appear young next year for similar reasons, so probably a wash next year too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back