Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
In memphis last Tuesday. Was there for three hours, saw an active shooting scene investigation, and two very bad wrecks.

Why? What is the appeal?

Born and raised in Memphis. Still live in Shelby Co but in the eastern suburbs, away from most of the crime. Although crime is slowly creeping into areas that it used to never be.

I used to have a lot of pride for Memphis, but the cons of the city are overshadowing its redeeming qualities now. Poor infrastructure, crime, leadership, and the judicial system are all major issues. I thought that when I got married a few years ago and bought a home that this is where I wanted to be. Now, I’m looking for the next opportunity to get out. Depending on where my career takes me, I have a preference to become a Knoxville metro resident. Being near UT isn’t a bad perk either. :)

I missed this discussion earlier in the week, so I traced the thread back to the part about Caleb Williams painting vulgarities on his fingernails. I remember when this was news and I told my SO about it. She laughed and said when she was an undergrad at USC many years ago, during UCLA game week someone reprogrammed all of the "Don't walk" intersection signals in Westwood to read "***LA".

College sports rivalries have never been known for good etiquette, including language coming from the athletes and coaches. I think for the great majority of fans, lowbrow rivalry humor is much more likely to be perceived as objectionable when it's not coming from their side.
I remember people writing some not so nice things with eye black before. it eventually got all written messages banned, and people freaked out because St. Tebow couldn't put bible verses on his face anymore.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Born and raised in Memphis. Still live in Shelby Co but in the eastern suburbs, away from most of the crime. Although crime is slowly creeping into areas that it used to never be.

I used to have a lot of pride for Memphis, but the cons of the city are overshadowing its redeeming qualities now. Poor infrastructure, crime, leadership, and the judicial system are all major issues. I thought that when I got married a few years ago and bought a home that this is where I wanted to be. Now, I’m looking for the next opportunity to get out. Depending on where my career takes me, I have a preference to become a Knoxville metro resident. Being near UT isn’t a bad perk either. :)
That's my experience. It was an honest question. Its hard for me to understand what the appeal is. The infrastructure thing is crazy. And ya dip into MS and its all new.

Reactions: knoxvol52
I’m calling it now. Carlos will be the next Voice of the Vols. Think of it. The originality will be off the charts. “Vamos Vols” will be the next generation’s “give him six.” You can’t recreate John Ward so why not go with originality? He has it in spades.

As long as the broadcast is predominantly in English, I’d be for it.

My formative years as a Tennessee fan were spent in Memphis. A lot of Tennessee fans in the area back then (I moved away in 2005) but also a lot of Arkansas, Ole miss, Bama fans. Kind of a weird coalescesence of SEC fans. But becoming a Vol eventually led me to east tennessee.

You never knew how much other fanbases dislike UT, until you visit Memphis. UT is the most loathed school in the Memphis area, if you’re not a UT person. Memphis, Arkansas, and Ole Miss fans always unite together.

Last edited:
Unlucky for you, i have now turned my "pathetic man-crush" toward you. What's truly pathetic is that you, now what, in your 50s, 60s??, absolutely cannot handle someone disagreeing with you...and, we ALL have seen countless examples of it. Keep on saying stupid sh!t like this, outside of your 20s, and ill keep on highlighting it, as coming from your ass...that is, until you slink away and ignore me with some childish-ass emoji.

Nine and a half out of ten people in here would have done the EXACT SAME THING Kiffin did, if it had been UT calling, period, end statement, do not pass go, do not collect $200...no matter what state the program, administration, janitorial services, etc would have been. You can say you wouldn't have, so I'll believe you. I'll leave it to others on whether they do or not. Again, I don't care if I was the HC for the Kansas City Chiefs, with Mahomes at QB, UT could be in ashes, literally...if they call, I'm accepting...THAT'S how much I love the Vols. MANY others feel the same way about UT, and other places.

I like you McGill...I imagine we see eye to eye on much, even outside of the Vols; but, expect me to put you on blast whenever you say dumb sh!t, like you did above. The thought of me "carrying water" for Lane Kiffin is laughable, and I dont see you as a comedian.

Again, and you can turn up your Beltone, if need be...Mike Hamilton nuked this program, Lane Kiffin was one of his bombs. I don't hate Lane Kiffin for how he left...i hate him for what he did while he was here, and everything he's done and said SINCE he left. If that's "carrying water", I'll shower in it.
Alright then...lol 😏

Good response...but do you really think I am afraid of you?...that is funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back