Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they're not experts? Maybe you misunderstood? Idk. If you really want to know, all i can say is read the explanation I linked from the SEC or look up the rule youself.

The real problem is, try as they might, it's still subjective.
I mean, they're paid a lot of money to be experts on the rules lol. Granted I've seen them be dead wrong, so we shouldn't trust them blindly.

I have looked up the rule, and it's clear as mud. So it's up to the prevailing opinion and philosophy of the officials to interpret it. The two relevant clauses are

Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area

Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet

If you "lead" with the shoulder and "attack" the shoulder, you're probably not getting targeting based on the above language. If only your secondary contact with the other player is to the head or neck after your initial contact is not to the head or neck, it's hard to make the argument that you "attacked" the head or neck area.

Edit and you're exactly right, the real problem is that it's subjective. I do feel like they've gotten better this year though.

Last edited:
Reactions: OrangenSC
WTH is "primary contact"? If you guys are using that as a synonym for "forcible contact" then you are incorrect. It''s in the rules.

College football targeting, explained: How controversial rule works, from penalty yardage to ejections.

If you guys are using "primary contact" in its literal form, it's still in the rule:

Most appropriately of note to this conversation, the call is "targeting", meaning that the forcible contact is deemed to be intentional--i.e. aiming, i.e. targeting.

As mentioned already, the UGA defender literally turned his head/face/crown away from the receiver trying to PREVENT helmet to helmet contact. The play was the exact opposite of targeting. It was... attempted preventing.
It changes nothing the day after the game.

Reactions: hooter vol
No doubt, but if AP voters already had us behind them, then our win was already baked in to that too. Not saying that made sense, but don't see what changed to have us jump them now, again...unless the name brand Clemson win is bigger in the voters' minds than beating just K St.

NOW I could see OSU dropping to #6. Lost 2 straight games. Who knows.

At the end of the day, it's really kind of a meaningless difference...except "top 5" just sounds a lot cooler than top 10 and no doubt there's someone tracking top 5 finishes...would like to add another notch to that belt I suppose.

I am willing to bet that CJH cares

I don't know the fine print of his contract but am willing to bet that there are some financial incentives for finishing top 5

I think your last sentence is the most important one, and I agree with you.

I don't see anything in your post about a defenseless player. The rules are different in that case.

That was a given. By definition this receiver WAS a defenseless player per.........

A receiver attempting to catch a forward pass or in position to receive a backward pass, or one who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect themselves or has not clearly become a ball carrier

Reminds me of how I was during the 90’s….. never enjoyed it…. Regret feeling that way so much.
Agree. Feels like I wasted all those good years constantly worrying about the next win or next recruit or next season or next poll or next bowl. What did it get me? Nothing.

Trying to just enjoy whatever good comes our way when it comes our way. I am a whole lot happier!

(Although my husband said last night I could be the woman in the Dr. Pepper commercial who screams when the young guy says it’s just a game. 😂 Maybe I need more work in this area.)

Jan. 1, 1996
ORLANDO, Fla. —

Jeff Hall kicked two fourth quarter field goals and the Vols defense held Ohio State in check as UT defeated the Buckeyes 20-14 on a rainy day in the Florida Citrus Bowl. Jay Graham, the game’s MVP, rushed for 154 yards, including a 69-yard scoring dash late in the first half that pulled the Vols even, 7-7, at halftime. Peyton Manning completed 20 of 35 passes for 182 yards and one touchdown. Joey Kent led the Vol receiving corps with seven catches for 109 yards, including a 47-yard scoring toss from Manning that gave UT a 14-7 advantage in the third quarter. Hall’s two field goals in the fourth quarter came after the Buckeyes had tied the game, 14-14. Tennessee’s defense, which had stopped the Buckeyes on a second quarter fourth-andinches at the 3-yard line, forced three turnovers in OSU’s final four possessions. UT held Ohio State, with Heisman winner Eddie George, to a season-low 89 yards on the ground. The victory upped Tennessee’s record to 11-1, its best since 1989 and propelled the Vols to a No. 2 finish in the final CNN/USA Today poll, UT’s highest since 1967. The Vols were tabbed No. 3 in final Associated Press voting.

SCORING SUMMARY
OSU — George 2 run (Jackson kick)
TENN — Graham 69 run (Hall kick)
TENN — Kent 47 pass from Manning (Hall kick)
OSU — Dudley 32 pass from Hoying (Jackson kick)
TENN — Hall 29 FG
TENN — Hall 25 FG

Top 5 game I've ever attended!

904x490%20%284%29.jpg
That was a great game

Welp. In the end the Burrow or Fields decision didn’t matter because my team laid an absolute stinker today. Oh well, made it to the championship at least.

Won my fantasy football league today; same 10 guys for over 20 years

Winning the $$ is great, but coming in last wins you "beer bitch"

As in, at next years draft anyone anytime can say, "Get me a beer, bitch..."

WTH is "primary contact"? If you guys are using that as a synonym for "forcible contact" then you are incorrect. It''s in the rules.

College football targeting, explained: How controversial rule works, from penalty yardage to ejections.

If you guys are using "primary contact" in its literal form, it's still in the rule:

Most appropriately of note to this conversation, the call is "targeting", meaning that the forcible contact is deemed to be intentional--i.e. aiming, i.e. targeting.

As mentioned already, the UGA defender literally turned his head/face/crown away from the receiver trying to PREVENT helmet to helmet contact. The play was the exact opposite of targeting. It was... attempted preventing.
Not sure if you're responding to the wrong post or what. Someone else used those words and I responded to them.

What you posted agreed with the explanation of rules I posted. Until your last paragraph, it seems you're contradicting yourself. Article 4, as you posted, says you can't make forcible contact with head or neck of a defenseless player, with basically any part of your body. In the words you posted, as in mine, helmet to helmet is irrelevant. Turning your head is irrelevant.

Again, it's subjective. Was there forcible contact with the head? It can be a fun debate if everyone is looking at the rules.

But now it's old so I'm ready for some more rumors about JJ McCarthy's dad or Kirby's sex change or something.

Last edited:
Granted, some pretty big bowls to make, but still Ouch. At some point you have to question your coach's ability to prepare for the postseason. Not that you ever fire him lol buuut...

View attachment 528460
The one bad thing about Harbaugh is that he is the opposite of creative. You know exactly what they are going to do and how they are going tontry and do it....TCU had a great plan for slowing down the Meatchicken running game and executed UT at a very high level.

Not sure if you're responding to the wrong post or what. Someone else used those words and I responded to them.

What you posted agreed with the explanation of rules I posted. Until your last paragraph, it seems you're contradicting yourself. Article 4, as you posted, says you can't make forcible contact with head or neck of a defenseless player, with basically any part of your body. In the words you posted, as in mine, helmet to helmet is irrelevant. Turning your head is irrelevant.

Again, it's subjective. Was there forcible contact with the head? It can be a fun debate if everyone is looking at the rules. But now it's old so I'm ready for some more rumors about JJ McCarthy's dad or something.
The point of my last paragraph was not contradictory. Per the description:

Note 1: "Targeting" means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball.

The point being that if he was trying to AVOID forcible contact with the helmet, per:

Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area

Then it was by definition not targeting. He was literally trying to prevent forcible contact to the head.

I had no idea it was Dabo’s son that was stopped on Clemson’s fake field goal. Man, this victory gets sweeter and Sweener. I’ll see myself out. Good night VN. Happy New Year.
I knew that was his son, that’s when it went off the rails for them. Actually, I believed before the the game started. I had butterflies in my stomach right before the game started, but I never wavered.

My championship is next week. Hate championships the last week of the year. I survived Henry being out this week. Thought it would sink me.
Our championship is this week. I’ve had Hurts and Tua all year…..picked up Fields just to have a QB……:rolleyes:

Need Tee Higgins to score 24 pts to win

So we're going to jump Bama, who we're currently 50 votes behind, due to beating #10 Clemson by 17, when Bama beat #11 K St by 25?

I mean...maybe the name brand of Clemson helps. Or AP voters seeing Clemson ranked 7th in the CFB ranking.

But I low key think that guy is trying to get back in our good graces after he ran crying from Vol Twitter during the season 😅 Not that I love all of Vol Twitter, but I didn't mind that witch burning at all.
Nevermind the fact we beat their ass H2H, and stomped the living 💩 out of the other team that beat them...Alabama ever being ranked ahead of us to start with was an abomination and completely due to brand bias...period....it is f'n 🦬💩.

But you're right regardless...the🐕💩 media will 🤬 us out of rightful spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back