Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
College Football News Freshman All-Bowl Team 2022

Freshman Offensive Player of the Bowls
WR Squirrel White, Tennessee
The explosive White looks like the next big thing out of the slot for Josh Heupel and the Volunteers.

He stepped up after Jalin Hyatt opted out of the Orange Bowl, catching a season-high nine balls for 108 yards and a TD in a 31-14 win over Clemson.

I think people are still looking for defenses from 2008 or earlier….. in this new era….. great defenses look different….. Georgia is the standard and they gave up 68% 350 yds 4 TDs 0 ints in their playoff game…. Michigan gave up 500 yds….. Ohio state gave up over 500 yds…. TCU over 600 yds….. Tennessee held Clemson to 14 points…. The same Clemson that just rolled NC in its championship game…. Someone posted that an NFL scout talked about how virtually impossible it was to completely shut down college passing attacks in todays college football…. Do you feel that you trying to hold Tennessee to a standard that they will have an extremely hard time meeting?
Very good points.

I think people are still looking for defenses from 2008 or earlier….. in this new era….. great defenses look different….. Georgia is the standard and they gave up 68% 350 yds 4 TDs 0 ints in their playoff game…. Michigan gave up 500 yds….. Ohio state gave up over 500 yds…. TCU over 600 yds….. Tennessee held Clemson to 14 points…. The same Clemson that just rolled NC in its championship game…. Someone posted that an NFL scout talked about how virtually impossible it was to completely shut down college passing attacks in todays college football…. Do you feel that you trying to hold Tennessee to a standard that they will have an extremely hard time meeting?

great point
If you can hold teams to around 21 points a game, you're gonna win a lot of games..............That is all that matters.

OGC.dea757acbccd153e3a43a0c943211e5b

Bruhh that looks like an alien 😳

Thornton and Nasili are the only two worth taking. Omarr is fine, and why the 2023 kid? Use the spot on a DB 🥺🥺🥺🥺

I think they are wanting to get in with St. John Bosco where Lefotu attends. Peyton Woodyard (S), Marcelles Williams (CB), & Kyngstonn Viliamu-Asa (LB) all are top 100 players in the '24 class that attend St. John and play with Lefotu.

Reading the VQ War Room, it seems like we should land Dont'e Thornton and Omar Norman Lott this weekend. John Campbell is between us and Florida, but he had some travel issues with connecting flights in ATL and had to rent a car to get to/from campus which may become an issue and trend him more to Florida.
Did they mention the other DL kid we had visit this week?

Did they mention the other DL kid we had visit this week?

Texas State defensive lineman Devan Sears is in town as he is in the middle of a three visit week. He started his week at Oklahoma before heading to Knoxville and from here he’ll go up to Penn State. We believe Oklahoma is the team to beat for him.

- VQ

All we really need on D is to keep consistent pressure on the QB, play less bad zone, locate the ball in man, make solid tackles. Everything else is going really well IMO. I have zero concerns on O other than the occasional "wut?" with play calls that we all have no matter who calls them. Good run game development is the key to this O.

Everybody breaks the rules. Michigan catching heat bc Harbaugh allegedly misled the NCAA. Same reason Pearl got biatch slapped by them
I am enjoying Michigan catching heat. Let them focus on someone else. And let it be one of the teams I hate that is having success. 😊

Common misconception, people seem to think I'm attacking the entire defense. It's the DBs. You can't keep having DBs play 10yds off the ball, or never turning their heads. Honestly, I've always thought it was the coaching, but when I said that everyone defended Willie Martinez and said, "Well he just doesn't have the talent yet!". Now we have the chance to add that talent through the portal, which we clearly haven't done. So is it really the talent, or is it the coaching? I still lean coaching, which is why I want talent added to eliminate that excuse. But you know what? Whether we add anyone or not, all excuses are off the board next season. If the DBs continue to give such big cushions, if they continue to fail to turn their heads and track the ball, if they continue to play poorly, that's on their position coach. And I'll continue to feel it needs to be addressed. Doesn't mean I'll turn on Josh Heupel if he fails to address it, but we've seen loyalty to assistant coaches bring down head coaches in the past. I really and truly hope Heupel doesn't allow that to happen. I like him. I like his personality, and I think he fits here. I just hope he can make those tough decisions when they eventually need to be made. We saw how Fulmer could not.

Next years roster at a glance. Scholarship players.

Offense
QB - Joe Milton, Tayven Jackson, Nico Iamaleava
RB - Jabari Small, Jaylen Wright (as of now), Dylan Sampson, Khalifa Keith
WR - Ramel Keyton, Bru McCoy, Squirrel White, Chas Nimrod, Kaleb Webb, Nathan Leacock, Cameron Seldon, Nate Spillman
TE - Jacob Warren, McCallan Castles, Ethan Davis
OT - Jeremiah Crawford, Dayne Davis, Gerald Mincey, Brian Grant, Vysen Lang, Shamurad Umarov, Larry Johnson III
IOL - Ollie Lane, Jackson Lampley, Cooper Mays, Javontez Spraggins, Andrej Karic, Addison Nichols, Masai Reddick, Mo Clipper Jr., Ayden Bussell

Defense
Edge - Roman Harrison, Tyler Baron, Joshua Josephs, James Pearce, Jr., Caleb Herring, Chandavian Bradley
DL - Kurott Garland, Omari Thomas, Elijah Simmons, Da'Jon Terry, Bryson Eason, Dominic Bailey, Tyre West, Amari McNeill, Jayson Jenkins,
Nathan Robinson, Daevin Hobbs, Tyree Weathersby, Trevor Duncan
LB - Aaron Beasley, Juwan Mitchell (for now at least), Keenan Pili, Kwauze Garland, Elijah Herring, Kalib Perry, Arion Carter, Jalen Smith,
Jeremiah Telander
CB - Warren Burrell, Brandon Turnage, Kamal Hadden, Doneiko Slaughter, Dee Williams, De'Shawn Rucker, Christian Harrison, Jordan
Matthews, Rickey Gibson, Cristian Conyer
S - Jaylen McCollough, Wesley Walker, Tamarion McDonald, Christian Charles, Andre Turrentine, Jourdan Thomas, Cameron Miller,
John Slaughter, Jack Luttrell

Special Teams
P - Jackson Ross (not sure if scholarship or not)
K - Charles Campbell

So if that's accurate, and the punter is on scholarship, that's 83. 82 if the punter isn't on scholarship. Probably some more guys will hit the portal, though.

Just felt like pulling this count forward.

Common misconception, people seem to think I'm attacking the entire defense. It's the DBs. You can't keep having DBs play 10yds off the ball, or never turning their heads. Honestly, I've always thought it was the coaching, but when I said that everyone defended Willie Martinez and said, "Well he just doesn't have the talent yet!". Now we have the chance to add that talent through the portal, which we clearly haven't done. So is it really the talent, or is it the coaching? I still lean coaching, which is why I want talent added to eliminate that excuse. But you know what? Whether we add anyone or not, all excuses are off the board next season. If the DBs continue to give such big cushions, if they continue to fail to turn their heads and track the ball, if they continue to play poorly, that's on their position coach. And I'll continue to feel it needs to be addressed. Doesn't mean I'll turn on Josh Heupel if he fails to address it, but we've seen loyalty to assistant coaches bring down head coaches in the past. I really and truly hope Heupel doesn't allow that to happen. I like him. I like his personality, and I think he fits here. I just hope he can make those tough decisions when they eventually need to be made. We saw how Fulmer could not.
Did you see this post?
0C1B5486-F6A2-4EAA-AAEB-CCF4B6803CBB.png

I don't feel like expecting better DB play is holding Tennessee to an unreasonable standard. Our DBs played with poor fundamentals. Again, no 10 yd cushions, and turn your head to track the ball. The failure to turn their heads plays a large part into our PI calls that we all complained about.

The thing about the portal, you see these talented players enter and think you'd love for them to come here. But those are rarely the players we go after.

Maybe there’s a reason. Vetting eliminated them in our coaching evaluation. Too many reasons. Take that clemson rb last year. Wasted a spot. Mercenary without an upside. Had the talent, but evidently a very caustic attitude. When the punter kicks your arse, are you a good fit for the culture? Methinks not.
I’m guessing that he set the standard for vetting future transfers…sounds too good to be true? Probably is not all that…😐

That’s part of the negatives being used against us….. Georgia and Alabama is considered schemes that get you ready for the pros…. Ours is not at this time…. The exciting product has the ability to draw some in though.

When HH, Wright, Tillman, and Hyatt blow it up in the NFL, that silly narrative will lose traction and crash. My prediction 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back