Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's interesting about our pursuit of DL, if you look at the guys currently slated to be on next year's roster, there's like 13 DL. 19 if you count the Edge players into that. Probably our deepest position group.

And yes, I find roster building interesting. I'm not criticizing anything in this post so don't read something into it that isn't there.

Apparently according to AP we aren't going to pursue a DB in the portal, that I guess our staff thinks an existing kid on the roster is gonna magically step up and that our incoming freshman will be good enough... I guess we will see once the dust settles...

I mean we have 2 top 50 rated CBs incoming, both were EEs and did some bowl practice too. (Gibson & Matthews). Conyer is just outside top 50 at 56th rated CB in this class and then Turrentine outta HS was a top 10 rated CB in his class.

I'd say if they plan to get a DB it would likely be after Spring camp anyway. Get the guys on the team healthy and have a full spring camp then see where we're at.

I don't feel like expecting better DB play is holding Tennessee to an unreasonable standard. Our DBs played with poor fundamentals. Again, no 10 yd cushions, and turn your head to track the ball. The failure to turn their heads plays a large part into our PI calls that we all complained about.
So it’s not about yards given up or points allowed in a game or bend but don’t break or how our defense is performing relative to other far more talented defenses? It’s they don’t play fundamentally in the secondary the way you want them to? And others didn’t want you complaining about the coach during season and told you it was talent? Now they are not getting talent from the portal right now (because they can’t find a fit), and this is frustrating because you want more talent so you can blame the DB coach if they don’t play better fundamentals next year? Then you can blame the head coach for keeping him after you have complained? … Did I get that right?

I mean we have 2 top 50 rated CBs incoming, both were EEs and did some bowl practice too. (Gibson & Matthews). Conyer is just outside top 50 at 56th rated CB in this class and then Turrentine outta HS was a top 10 rated CB in his class.

I'd say if they plan to get a DB it would likely be after Spring camp anyway. Get the guys on the team healthy and have a full spring camp then see where we're at.
Others have told us this is the plan. I think people keep forgetting that you can get more after spring practice, and you have to except to lose more after spring. Right now they have a lot of players coming back plus the freshmen. They decide they need 3 after spring or be happy with what they have. It would have to be a phenomenal player that’s a good fit to make them decide to not wait until after spring.

So it’s not about yards given up or points allowed in a game or bend but don’t break or how our defense is performing relative to other far more talented defenses? It’s they don’t play fundamentally in the secondary the way you want them to? And others didn’t want you complaining about the coach during season and told you it was talent? Now they are not getting talent from the portal right now (because they can’t find a fit), and this is frustrating because you want more talent so you can blame the DB coach if they don’t play better fundamentals next year? Then you can blame the head coach for keeping him after you have complained? … Did I get that right?
Not quite. Yes, I think the struggles of the DBs rests largely on their position coach. Yes, all year long we heard, "He just doesn't have the talent!". Whether or not we make any portal moves, it's his unit, his responsibility. If they continue to play subpar, that should be addressed. That's part of the job. I'm not looking to blame Heupel for anything. This plays into what I said last night about how some try to "vilify" others. "Oh, Weezer wants Heupel Fired." Not at all what I said. I want Heupel to succeed, and part of success is recognizing your weaknesses and improving them. Fulmer was overly loyal to his assistants, and it caused his downfall. I do not want to see Heupel make that same mistake. I don't think any of us do. If the DBs come out next year and play lights out, or at least learn not to give those huge cushions and and to turn their heads to make plays on the ball, then all will be fine. But if we continue to see the same problems again, it needs to be addressed.

Y'all need to calm down and trust Coach Heupel to hire a good TE coach.....
old-school-keep-our-composure.gif

Others have told us this is the plan. I think people keep forgetting that you can get more after spring practice, and you have to except to lose more after spring. Right now they have a lot of players coming back plus the freshmen. They decide they need 3 after spring or be happy with what they have. It would have to be a phenomenal player that’s a good fit to make them decide to not wait until after spring.

Another key point is we're bringing in 5 incoming secondary players and with the free transfer they all could leave after spring camp and still play in the fall. So it's a new era of roster management for sure. Gotta give existing guys and incoming freshmen the opportunity to earn their spot in camp before just bringing in portal talent.

And secondary is a position group where I generally feel like you see more growth in the 2nd season for guys not the first. Turnage and Burrell were both playing better this year than last, but injuries derailed their seasons. Hadden has been inconsistent as hell.

Charles, McDonald, & Slaughter all better this season than last, even Rucker seemed to play improved. So I'm excited to see how Harrison, Turrentine, Dee, Miller, and Jourdan are in their 2nd year of the system.

Could be my orange tinted glasses, but I am going to lean on injuries causing more havoc for our secondary than a lack of talent. McDonald & Walker were the only secondary guys (not playing special teams exclusively) that appeared in all 13 games for us.

LOL. I think that covers it...at least better than our 2022 secondary. :)

Reactions: Nuctech777
Not quite. Yes, I think the struggles of the DBs rests largely on their position coach. Yes, all year long we heard, "He just doesn't have the talent!". Whether or not we make any portal moves, it's his unit, his responsibility. If they continue to play subpar, that should be addressed. That's part of the job. I'm not looking to blame Heupel for anything. This plays into what I said last night about how some try to "vilify" others. "Oh, Weezer wants Heupel Fired." Not at all what I said. I want Heupel to succeed, and part of success is recognizing your weaknesses and improving them. Fulmer was overly loyal to his assistants, and it caused his downfall. I do not want to see Heupel make that same mistake. I don't think any of us do. If the DBs come out next year and play lights out, or at least learn not to give those huge cushions and and to turn their heads to make plays on the ball, then all will be fine. But if we continue to see the same problems again, it needs to be addressed.
I am not trying to vilify you. I am trying to help you (even though you don’t want it). I used to be you lol. I guess the word blame was a bad choice. You see the weakness on the team and want it fixed. Understandable. I am just saying you’re focusing on the weakness so much you can’t enjoy the strengths. And as soon as that weakness is fixed there will always be another one. The goal is to win in spite of your weaknesses. To match your strengths and weaknesses against another teams…. And no matter how much you focus on the weakness, there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it. So you’re torturing yourself for nothing. Just hate you’re doing this to yourself. And I keep trying to save you lol.

Another key point is we're bringing in 5 incoming secondary players and with the free transfer they all could leave after spring camp and still play in the fall. So it's a new era of roster management for sure. Gotta give existing guys and incoming freshmen the opportunity to earn their spot in camp before just bringing in portal talent.

And secondary is a position group where I generally feel like you see more growth in the 2nd season for guys not the first. Turnage and Burrell were both playing better this year than last, but injuries derailed their seasons. Hadden has been inconsistent as hell.

Charles, McDonald, & Slaughter all better this season than last, even Rucker seemed to play improved. So I'm excited to see how Harrison, Turrentine, Dee, Miller, and Jourdan are in their 2nd year of the system.

Could be my orange tinted glasses, but I am going to lean on injuries causing more havoc for our secondary than a lack of talent. McDonald & Walker were the only secondary guys (not playing special teams exclusively) that appeared in all 13 games for us.
Yes, I would think to get 5 secondary players of that talent to come in they had to have assured them they would be given a chance to earn a starting spot in the spring or at least a backup roll. So they’re expecting good odds of playing time this fall not just lining up behind other good players. And wouldn’t be surprised to see 2 or 3 leave if they don’t feel they are given that shot fairly.

This pass defense allowed 55% with 5.9 ypa versus Clemson….. the same qb that completed 83% with 11.6 ypa against NC….What role do you think all the injuries played in the highs and lows of this secondary?

The majority was out during the spring and fall as well….. people tend to forget that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back