Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so f'n dumb...we don't play in a f'n vacuum.
I'm sticking with what I'd be happy with when he was hired. Year 3, 8-4. It's not fare to the coaches, players and fans to change expectations simply because the team overachieved.

6-6 year 1, 7-5 year 2, 8-4 year 3, 9-3 year 4. . . I've always thought year 4 or 5 should be when they're really judged. They've had time to get comfortable in Knoxville, iron out wrinkles, get coaches in place, have a roster built with their players from top to bottom.

Year 5 I expect to be seriously competiting for the SEC and National Title with a fare expectation of 10-2 or better.

Next year 8-4 would be meh, not bad, not good. Above 8-4, yes, below, no. If we win 11 games next year, that'll really be overachieving again.

If we win 11 again next year, then fall off to 9-3, I would think we're ahead schedule, even though I expected 9-3 in y4.

I'm sticking with what I'd be happy with when he was hired. Year 3, 8-4. It's not fare to the coaches, players and fans to change expectations simply because the team overachieved.

6-6 year 1, 7-5 year 2, 8-4 year 3, 9-3 year 4. . . I've always thought year 4 or 5 should be when they're really judged. They've had time to get comfortable in Knoxville, iron out wrinkles, get coaches in place, have a roster built with their players from top to bottom.

Year 5 I expect to be seriously competiting for the SEC and National Title with a fare expectation of 10-2 or better.

Next year 8-4 would be meh, not bad, not good. Above 8-4, yes, below, no. If we win 11 games next year, that'll really be overachieving again.

If we win 11 again next year, then fall off to 9-3, I would think we're ahead schedule, even though I expected 9-3 in y4.
I think they are setting themselves up for 2024 next year. Get the young kids some playing time and see who can and who can't and go from there. This past season was a gift and hopefully a glimpse into what is to come.

Expectations mean you want to "fahr Heupel".

I really enjoyed how our defense played against KY, Vanderbilt, Clemson and some others. Thought they did really well against AL, but BY was just able to extend plays for forever then make a great play except the last drive. But I wasn’t expecting the old school defense that shuts down teams completely because of what they said their strategy was. I’m too old and have too much going on to worry about what I can’t change. I used to write down every player that we were listed in their top 5 and worry about which ones we would get, where we would end up ranked, what teams we were playing were ranked, and anything else I could come up with. My worry didn’t do anything but keep me from enjoying the good things.
Here here.. (defense was good against Pitt)

Reactions: SweetasSoda
So if we go 11-2 again but our passing defense hasn't drastically improved then what should be done with Heupel?

Heupel HAS improved the roster this offseason. Maybe not in the way many fans want him to, but the staff apparently feels very good about the incoming freshmen and growth of the current players.

What should be done with Heupel?? Are you freaking serious? Absolutely nothing should be done to Heupel. At some point, if the pass defense doesn’t improve, Heupel will make a move. I wish he would get rid of Martinez now but for now he is the DB coach.

I honestly cannot believe you would ask a question like that.

I understand the strategy. Not sure I agree with it. It's a lot to ask freshmen to be that fix. And I'm not angry. Frustrated maybe, but not angry. Anyone who loves defense would be frustrated by ours. No different than how those who love good offense were frustrated by JG.
I think people are still looking for defenses from 2008 or earlier….. in this new era….. great defenses look different….. Georgia is the standard and they gave up 68% 350 yds 4 TDs 0 ints in their playoff game…. Michigan gave up 500 yds….. Ohio state gave up over 500 yds…. TCU over 600 yds….. Tennessee held Clemson to 14 points…. The same Clemson that just rolled NC in its championship game…. Someone posted that an NFL scout talked about how virtually impossible it was to completely shut down college passing attacks in todays college football…. Do you feel that you are trying to hold Tennessee to a standard that they will have an extremely hard time meeting?

Last edited:
You are our resident expert on bitching and moaning.

Difference is we mostly let it slide rather than calling you on it.
🦬💩...nobody let s me by with anything, and since the QB argument before Hooker took off and ran with it, what exactly have I bitched at this staff about? The worst that I HAVE bitched about is the same as you...the defensive philiosophy and secondary. I just decided to not bitch incessantly about it, and look at the one, we'll actually three numbers that matter...4th in the SEC in PPG, and 11-2.

I said before the season that if the defense greatly improved that the sky was the limit for the team but that I didn't think it was possible...well they improved 8-9 points per game...whether you (or I for that matter) believe it or not...that is great improvement.

I get it...you watch those games where a few uber talented QBs went off and shredded the defense and have a visceral reaction to pansy looking defense...but I am reasonable enough to actually see beyond that and see the numbers that matter.

We wanted big defensive improvement and we got it...it just doesn't look like we want it to.

Bottom line is...we don't have the roster to "expect" 10-11 wins.

Bottom line is...we don't have the roster to "expect" 10-11 wins.
I feel like 10-11 wins should be the bottom to what is considered a successful season…. That being said…. 9 wins or less does not mean we still aren’t a good program…. 10 wins plus is extremely hard to accomplish…. 9 wins are less can be a bad sign if you can tell the bottom is getting ready to fall out of the program like during the Butch era…. I don’t think that will happen though…. This staff is on another level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back