Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
the way we play we need even more than most teams.

pretty wild people cant see that
Again, people making assumptions without consideration. In order for us to add more, more players will have to leave. We're still limited by the 85-limit roster. We're already around 82 or 83 and looking to add at least 3-4 more players. Attrition has to come from somewhere for there to be addition.

If the QB plays poorly, does it not matter as long as we win? Or do you expect the QB to get better?
just-win-baby-al-davis.gif

That fact was publicized when 865 was implemented in 1999 for Knox and adjoining counties. 423 replace 615 in 1995 for all of East TN when 615 became the Nashville metro domain. 4 years later, 865(VOL) was activated
I forgot about 615.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Thanks @Weezer I'm here now.

VTM.gif

You need to go back and check out what CJH said about defense when he was first hired. No verbatim but basically he just wants a defense that can stop splash plays and not give up sustained drives. Now do I want a defense that gives up 0 points and negative yards every play absolutely but it seems they have a plan. I think CTB didn't have the skill players he needed to be able to do exactly what he wanted.
Several things with this part. Your hyperbole of an unreasonable goal with defense is noted but not expected on this side of the conversation. Quit sensationalizing. The last part is key. If you don't have the skill players shouldn't you attempt to improve that part of the roster? Is that not what I was addressing? If you don't, is it not reasonable to say that the issue is now fully on the shoulders of the coaches and they can't use an excuse of not having skill players? Not saying they are using that excuse BUT it's no longer an option.

I think they feel like they are coming with this class and the growing pains that come with it is something we will need to accept in 2023 to get ready for the years to come.

Accepting growing pains when there is an option to temporarily upgrade the immediate roster while the new guys acclimate is a silly decision.

He took a team that was down on talent as far as the SEC top tier goes and went 11-2 and wasn't expected to win maybe 8 games so anytime I see anything about fire this coach even if tounge and check I think it deserves to be mocked. We went through enough of that Bullsh*t in the past and I think we are damn lucky to have what we've got. If he needs to make a move on his staff let that be his decision and not have to listen to the whims of every wantabe football expert.

I think I've caught up now.

1. Never said he should be fired. Ever. Not even tongue in cheek. That's something YOU assumed and still assumed DESPITE quoting a post that says otherwise. Hell, I've even said that I don't think it's Martinez during the season. So calm your balls with that.

2. ITS A MESSAGE BOARD. We talk, discuss, give opinions. I think the secondary is not what we need and fails the LBers and DL more often than not. I also think it's scheme and on Banks. Said it a many times.

Take a lap, Ulysees.

This pass defense allowed 55% with 5.9 ypa versus Clemson….. the same qb that completed 83% with 11.6 ypa against NC….What role do you think all the injuries played in the highs and lows of this secondary?
UNC's defense isn't exactly the gold standard to be measuring us against. Their defense was absolutely hideous as well.

Reactions: MwB
Thanks @Weezer I'm here now.

View attachment 529437

Several things with this part. Your hyperbole of an unreasonable goal with defense is noted but not expected on this side of the conversation. Quit sensationalizing. The last part is key. If you don't have the skill players shouldn't you attempt to improve that part of the roster? Is that not what I was addressing? If you don't, is it not reasonable to say that the issue is now fully on the shoulders of the coaches and they can't use an excuse of not having skill players? Not saying they are using that excuse BUT it's no longer an option.

Accepting growing pains when there is an option to temporarily upgrade the immediate roster while the new guys acclimate is a silly decision.

1. Never said he should be fired. Ever. Not even tongue in cheek. That's something YOU assumed and still assumed DESPITE quoting a post that says otherwise. Hell, I've even said that I don't think it's Martinez during the season. So calm your balls with that.

2. ITS A MESSAGE BOARD. We talk, discuss, give opinions. I think the secondary is not what we need and fails the LBers and DL more often than not. I also think it's scheme and on Banks. Said it a many times.

Take a lap, Ulysees.

The bolded seems to be a disconnect for many. We're not all going to agree.

Reactions: RikidyBones
Sure you can, but don't get upset when other fans DO talk about how the QB needs to do better.
I am not upset. I keep trying to understand why you’re so upset. I keep thinking about how I was in the 90s and couldn’t enjoy anything. It was not fun. Then I didn’t know if I would ever see Tennessee be good again. I throughly enjoyed this season. I am still enjoying all the wonderful things that happened. I will look at the roster in the fall after all the parts move around. Then I will hope we win a lot in spite of whatever weaknesses we have.

EDIT… I ignore or put on ignore those that just want to find something to complain about. Your posts remind me of how I used to be is the reason I keep responding.

Not quite. Yes, I think the struggles of the DBs rests largely on their position coach. Yes, all year long we heard, "He just doesn't have the talent!". Whether or not we make any portal moves, it's his unit, his responsibility. If they continue to play subpar, that should be addressed. That's part of the job. I'm not looking to blame Heupel for anything. This plays into what I said last night about how some try to "vilify" others. "Oh, Weezer wants Heupel Fired." Not at all what I said. I want Heupel to succeed, and part of success is recognizing your weaknesses and improving them. Fulmer was overly loyal to his assistants, and it caused his downfall. I do not want to see Heupel make that same mistake. I don't think any of us do. If the DBs come out next year and play lights out, or at least learn not to give those huge cushions and and to turn their heads to make plays on the ball, then all will be fine. But if we continue to see the same problems again, it needs to be addressed.
Personally I think it's scheme and Tim Banks with a soft zone. Does he think that his guys can't cover man so that's why? Maybe. Probably. Ok so got get that guy. I think we need at least 1. I'd prefer 2. Go get that guy. If you don't and we have the same result, at that point it's a continuous weakness that's stopping the staff from getting to the next step in being in the playoff and there will be no one or nothing to blame.but themselves. Them getting blamed for it doesn't mean they should be fired. Perhaps addressing those questions directly, perhaps changing a scheme/style, perhaps changing a position coach. Idk. That's up to Heupel. But ultimately, those decisions are on his shoulders and he takes the glory or the blame. Nothing or no one else does. That's all I'm saying.

wow I never knew 615 went that far east/north
When area codes were introduced in October 1947, Tennessee's only area code was 901. During 1954, in a flash-cut, most of the state east of the Tennessee River's western bend was assigned 615, while 901 was restricted to Memphis and the western third of the state. This configuration remained in place for over 41 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back