Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real problem is Kelly, Fisher, Kiffin, and Stoops are overpaid. (Well, they're all overpaid IMO, but based on results, those 4 are really overpaid.) So that skews what is "fair". I'd put him at about $7.5mil based on current pay scale of college coaches. Then, as success continues, you move him past those undeserving coaches I spoke of.
See we agree on something else !!!!

Reactions: OrangenSC
The day Slaughter played, he was obviously our best DB. Yet it took injuries to play him. That’s on the coach. He should have been starting day one over anyone in the secondary. Makes me wonder what we could have in Turrentine, Thomas, and others if given a chance to play over Tank.
Tank plays because he makes most of the defensive calls on the backend. On offense, you have two people making calls and adjustments (QB and C). The same for defense (LB and S). If he couldn't make all the calls at safety (his natural position) that would keep him from starting. He was moved to CB out of necessity. He has better cover skills than our other corners, but his speed is still a liability at that position. I still think he makes the permanent move to CB this off season though.

Last edited:
All for discussion and I get it when fans question decisions……sometimes. But not when the staff put together 11-2 in Y2.

If they’ve decided not to pursue dbs then F all those dbs in the portal and let’s ride.
The secondary is the reason you went 10-2 and not 11-1. You survived some games (Florida for example) despite them. The season was a great season. I'm excited to watch some replays again this summer. It's the off-season so let's try to get better in our biggest weak link. As a fans, it's fun for us to hope, speculate and discuss.

The coaches can make those decisions and they will. All I am saying is they own the secondary issues entirely. No more lacking talent comments from us, them or anyone else. That's all I'm saying. Idk why that's so arguable.

You are assuming again with the bold. No one, and I mean no one, is upset every time a DB comes and goes in the portal. AP thinks they aren't looking for DBs. If true, that'd be foolish. Either the same secondary returns or we rely on freshman. Not a great recipe in a time when the portal allows rosters to flip within individual positions way easier than in the past. The coaches still have time and I hope AP is incorrect.

I want to repeat this. The only thing I said is that the coaches will be fully accountable for the crappy secondary if they don't go after some portal help. That does not mean Fahr everyone. It does mean that they own it. That's all.

Not mad at you, bud. It's discussion and opinion.
Fine, fine I understand what you're saying so can we now please move on.

The secondary is the reason you went 10-2 and not 11-1. You survived some games (Florida for example) despite them. The season was a great season. I'm excited to watch some replays again this summer. It's the off-season so let's try to get better in our biggest weak link. As a fans, it's fun for us to hope, speculate and discuss.

The coaches can make those decisions and they will. All I am saying is they own the secondary issues entirely. No more lacking talent comments from us, them or anyone else. That's all I'm saying. Idk why that's so arguable.

Was it the secondary and no one else?

DL didn’t have anything to do with that? Interesting. I’m will to bet the coaching staff disagrees with your assessment.

Such a lazy take blaming only the secondary lol

What would y’all increase Heupel’s salary to if you based it on that list? In my opinion, he deserves to be paid more than Lane Kiffin, and probably more than Jimbo and Kelly.
It's like what @Weezer said many of those at the top are way over paid and it skews the true value of the rest....and the top as well.

What would y’all increase Heupel’s salary to if you based it on that list? In my opinion, he deserves to be paid more than Lane Kiffin, and probably more than Jimbo and Kelly.
$7,750,000 is fair I think based off of this year, and still leaves room for incentives to continue winning 10+ games, the division, the conference, and making the playoff.

However, the market dictates his value and this SEC coaching market is really dumb. I think $9M would be understandable and fair, based on the other guys in the $8-9M range. I'd rather not give him that if we don't have to.

VN brethren, I need some help resolving a fantasy football dilemma. After the no contest for the Bengals-Bills, ESPN erased the stats from the game to that point. Our commish who was up 4 at the time is now down 3. He had Burrow, Chase, and Mixon playing who average a combined 59 points a game. Other guy had no one left. The other guy is now claiming victory. This is a decade long league with some decent money on the line.

I was the league creator, and judgement has been passed to me as commish is in a conflict of interest. It's unprecedented and imo it's clear commish should be the champ. Thoughts?
In the fine print I read, as stated: in any no contest games, the who coaches shall meet at waffle House. The winner of the brawl shall be deemed winner.

The real problem is Kelly, Fisher, Kiffin, and Stoops are overpaid. (Well, they're all overpaid IMO, but based on results, those 4 are really overpaid.) So that skews what is "fair". I'd put him at about $7.5mil based on current pay scale of college coaches. Then, as success continues, you move him past those undeserving coaches I spoke of.

Yeah, above Napier for sure but not sure I'd go full Stoops money after just 2 seasons.

As overpaid as Stoops is, he is the only coach in program history to have 2 10 win seasons there.

Was it the secondary and no one else?

DL didn’t have anything to do with that? Interesting. I’m will to bet the coaching staff disagrees with your assessment.

Such a lazy take blaming only the secondary lol
DL was Jekyll and Hyde for sure but they are going after DL. See how that works?

austin-powers-dr-evil.gif

It's like what @Weezer said many of those at the top are way over paid and it skews the true value of the rest....and the top as well.

Understandable - these will also increase if Kirby wins the NC because he will get a raise, and Saban's contract is written so that he will always be the highest paid CFB coach
$11.7 Saban
$11.25 Kirby

Desperation Hires/Contracts
$9.5M Kelly
$9.5M Jimbo
$9M Kiffin

Out of control contract kickers at this point, the best contract in sports
$8.6M Stoops

Heupel deserves more than everyone else on the list below Stoops (next highest is $7.2M)

so $7.5M-$8M is justified I believe

Last edited:
Yeah, above Napier for sure but not sure I'd go full Stoops money after just 2 seasons.

As overpaid as Stoops is, he is the only coach in program history to have 2 10 win seasons there.
he's just had ridiculous kickers that have compounded in his time there

Don’t think that’s true. VQ guys have said multiple times lately that they’re hoping to add a DB but haven’t found the right fit yet. They still have all of spring when many more players will jump in the portal.

that's great news, just going off what i saw several post a few days ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back