Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @Weezer I'm here now.

View attachment 529437

Several things with this part. Your hyperbole of an unreasonable goal with defense is noted but not expected on this side of the conversation. Quit sensationalizing. The last part is key. If you don't have the skill players shouldn't you attempt to improve that part of the roster? Is that not what I was addressing? If you don't, is it not reasonable to say that the issue is now fully on the shoulders of the coaches and they can't use an excuse of not having skill players? Not saying they are using that excuse BUT it's no longer an option.

Accepting growing pains when there is an option to temporarily upgrade the immediate roster while the new guys acclimate is a silly decision.

1. Never said he should be fired. Ever. Not even tongue in cheek. That's something YOU assumed and still assumed DESPITE quoting a post that says otherwise. Hell, I've even said that I don't think it's Martinez during the season. So calm your balls with that.

2. ITS A MESSAGE BOARD. We talk, discuss, give opinions. I think the secondary is not what we need and fails the LBers and DL more often than not. I also think it's scheme and on Banks. Said it a many times.

Take a lap, Ulysees.
I'm well aware it is a message board but I still think we as casual fans don't have a clue of what they are looking for talent wise of what they plan as a scheme every week, I think they may know more than us. Being upset over every DB that come up that we don't go after speaks volumes in that it seems to be more than talent they are looking for, it's team and culture fit that they are trying to achieve and preserve and for that simple change I for one am grateful.

I have no problem cutting loose anybody that doesn't perform but I don't think we totally understand what they are trying to do and or if they just didn't have the right pieces to achieve that goal. I truly think they are setting this team up for the 2024 season and years to come and I personally, in many ways think that is how to build a program over getting rent-a-players to fill a gap that could potentially cause more trouble than the coaches think they are worth. Lets see how next year pans out and then if it gets much worse then by all means make necessary changes but that is CJH call.

As far as what apparently got this started I'm sorry for poking fun and I own that but as far as how they fix it and when it should be fixed we just disagree, that simple. No harm no foul.

I mean, coach salaries are obscene now, but with Shane Boober now worth $6.5 million it’s time to get a Heupel raise done soon.

Two seasons in, but with success, I'd think you'd have to at least give Heup a big enough raise to put him ahead of Napier. Truthfully, he deserves to be even higher than that.

I mean, coach salaries are obscene now, but with Shane Boober now worth $6.5 million it’s time to get a Heupel raise done soon.

What would y’all increase Heupel’s salary to if you based it on that list? In my opinion, he deserves to be paid more than Lane Kiffin, and probably more than Jimbo and Kelly.

After seeing this list, the whole Vol fanbase to the dang UT AD:
sinbad-dreamworks.gif

I never mean to demean anybody and if I do I apologize for that. Most people that have seen my post know I'm full of Sh*t and make fun of myself as much or more than anyone else, it's just how I've always been. When you've worked construction as long as I did you learn to poke fun and take it as well or you wouldn't last long, that's all.
You do seem to have some kind of bias against roadrunners for some reason.

They are hitching their wagon to the wrong star.

I am all for it!

He can catch lightning in a bottle. He can motivate and scheme up a couple of big plays. Nothing he does is sustainable.

The Vols will never be caught off guard by him again. I would bet they never lose to him again.

Fair. Would’ve also bet coming into this season that Heup wouldn’t lose to Beamer

VN brethren, I need some help resolving a fantasy football dilemma. After the no contest for the Bengals-Bills, ESPN erased the stats from the game to that point. Our commish who was up 4 at the time is now down 3. He had Burrow, Chase, and Mixon playing who average a combined 59 points a game. Other guy had no one left. The other guy is now claiming victory. This is a decade long league with some decent money on the line.

I was the league creator, and judgement has been passed to me as commish is in a conflict of interest. It's unprecedented and imo it's clear commish should be the champ. Thoughts?
I'd give it to the commish. Partly because it's obvious he would've won had the game been played (& had already if stats at time of stoppage counted) & partly because the other guy out & out claiming victory, which sounds like a douche move to me).

Edited to add that I posted that before I saw your post that you were all good friends....

Last edited:
Reactions: drvenner
What would y’all increase Heupel’s salary to if you based it on that list? In my opinion, he deserves to be paid more than Lane Kiffin, and probably more than Jimbo and Kelly.
The real problem is Kelly, Fisher, Kiffin, and Stoops are overpaid. (Well, they're all overpaid IMO, but based on results, those 4 are really overpaid.) So that skews what is "fair". I'd put him at about $7.5mil based on current pay scale of college coaches. Then, as success continues, you move him past those undeserving coaches I spoke of.

I'm well aware it is a message board but I still think we as casual fans don't have a clue of what they are looking for talent wise of what they plan as a scheme every week, I think they may know more than us. Being upset over every DB that come up that we don't go after speaks volumes in that it seems to be more than talent they are looking for, it's team and culture fit that they are trying to achieve and preserve and for that simple change I for one am grateful.

I have no problem cutting loose anybody that doesn't perform but I don't think we totally understand what they are trying to do and or if they just didn't have the right pieces to achieve that goal. I truly think they are setting this team up for the 2024 season and years to come and I personally, in many ways think that is how to build a program over getting rent-a-players to fill a gap that could potentially cause more trouble than the coaches think they are worth. Lets see how next year pans out and then if it gets much worse then by all means make necessary changes but that is CJH call.

As far as what apparently got this started I'm sorry for poking fun and I own that but as far as how they fix it and when it should be fixed we just disagree, that simple. No harm no foul.
You are assuming again with the bold. No one, and I mean no one, is upset every time a DB comes and goes in the portal. AP thinks they aren't looking for DBs. If true, that'd be foolish. Either the same secondary returns or we rely on freshman. Not a great recipe in a time when the portal allows rosters to flip within individual positions way easier than in the past. The coaches still have time and I hope AP is incorrect.

I want to repeat this. The only thing I said is that the coaches will be fully accountable for the crappy secondary if they don't go after some portal help. That does not mean Fahr everyone. It does mean that they own it. That's all.

Not mad at you, bud. It's discussion and opinion.

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
Only problem is the people who approved Jimbo's contract are apparently idiots with too much money.
Jimbo buys his clothes from "Forever 7-5". . . (or 5-7)

Did some digging this morning and I believe heading into the Florida visit today that Tennessee is still the team to beat for John Campbell.

Additionally, I’m told Jaylen Wright will now not require surgery and will be casted up for a few weeks and will be available for spring.

-AP

SIAP , not really. Heup needs his raise
Updated SEC coach salaries for 2023 following Shane Beamer extension news (Clark Lea is not listed as Vanderbilt is a private school and does not publicly release contract information)

Flzu4D3XEAECSjn
This is ludicrous, no way JH should be in the bottom three of this list. Give him a raise, if he wins 10 games again he better be 9-10 M. If UT don’t, someone else will!

You are assuming again with the bold. No one, and I mean no one, is upset every time a DB comes and goes in the portal. AP thinks they aren't looking for DBs. If true, that'd be foolish. Either the same secondary returns or we rely on freshman. Not a great recipe in a time when the portal allows rosters to flip within individual positions way easier than in the past. The coaches still have time and I hope AP is incorrect.

I want to repeat this. The only thing I said is that the coaches will be fully accountable for the crappy secondary if they don't go after some portal help. That does not mean Fahr everyone. It does mean that they own it. That's all.

Not mad at you, bud. It's discussion and opinion.

All for discussion and I get it when fans question decisions……sometimes. But not when the staff put together 11-2 in Y2.

If they’ve decided not to pursue dbs then F all those dbs in the portal and let’s ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back