Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

I think moderation is a great place to live, in a core set of beliefs. Why do I need ti be drug/dragged farther out to sea? There'a plenty of knowledge here in this bay, for my WV.
Like I said, the truth may be found there at times. But why constrain yourself?

I think I remember you saying you're a Christian? (You brought up worldviews...) He said, "I am the truth..." Went on to tell us to share the truth, and even take joy when people hated us for doing it.

He didn't sound like a moderate.

I'll let it go now.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
Y’all need to really think about why. You’re doing something wrong. Married 37 years so I know what I am talking about. Or y’all are just seriously exaggerating.
You know how men joke soda. In all seriousness, I don't want it more than once a week anymore, most of the time. That youthful exuberance is no more. Maybe things will be different when the rest of life is less demanding. Yard work, gardening, taking kids to work, cooking, cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, helping elderly church members are all on my regular to do list.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
I was up most of the night with extreme pain in all three sections of my back...I was in so much pain this morning that it was making me sick and faint as I was trying to get ready....I was off work today and my wife gave me one of her 7.5 hydros....I was thanking God that he made something that gave me relief even if it was just for a couple of hours.

You guys can take your self-righteous ignorant judgment and stick it up your tail.

God almighty made a poppy for a reason...certainly not to be abused, but to give people in excruciating pain at least a little while of blessed relief.

Like I said, the truth may be found there at times. But why constrain yourself?

I think I remember you saying you're a Christian? (You brought up worldviews...) He said, "I am the truth..." Went on to tell us to share the truth, and even take joy when people hated us for doing it.

He didn't sound like a moderate.

I'll let it go now.
ive always been a centrist, ideologically. while i agree with what you say, i dare say the pharisees were moderates. i would hold they held very conservative world views.

let me clarify, my centrism is more a moral compass. i apply it against information and knowledge before making decisions...er at least in sounds good.

choices, and beliefs are modified along time, age, wisdom etc. Moderation allows me to stay grounded as information is increasingly polarized.

Anyway...I hear your point.

That’s a lot of Prostate exams and Colonoscopies.
You don't get anesthesia for a prostate exam....

If your doctor's putting you to sleep for that, he's doing more than checking your prostate. Didn't you ever wonder why he was zipping his pants as you were waking up?

Reactions: CornbreadVol

If your doctor's putting you to sleep for that, he's doing more than checking your prostate. Didn't you ever wonder why he was zipping his pants as you were waking up?
you might get a sedative.

My favorite part of the vasectomy was hearing 'just take this sedative, you wont feel a thing.'

😂😂😂😂

Doc is doing the prostate exam during the Colonoscopy

Reactions: knoxvol52
Doc is doing the prostate exam during the Colonoscopy
giphy.gif

ive always been a centrist, ideologically. while i agree with what you say, i dare say the pharisees were moderates. i would hold they held very conservative world views.

let me clarify, my centrism is more a moral compass. i apply it against information and knowledge before making decisions...er at least in sounds good.

choices, and beliefs are modified along time, age, wisdom etc. Moderation allows me to stay grounded as information is increasingly polarized.

Anyway...I hear your point.
I generally tend to centrist views, but seem to be the opposite. When I hold to centrist views, it's because I believe those views are true. I don't consider them to be true simply because they're centrist.

Example: I believe that people have the right to self-direction until they infringe on other people's rights. I believe that as a truth, thus I tend toward that fairly centrist view. I don't hold it for the sake of centrism. Centrism need not be a destination you seek, even if you pass through there at times.

I'm not familiar with the story, either side of it, so I don't know. If I researched the story, I may even agree with @jave36. I just disagree with how he's defending his position. It's kind of like a kid that answers 5 on a math test, and the question was "What is 25 divided by 5?" Well, he got the right answer, but he doesn't know multiplication. He just counted the number of digits on his right hand and wrote the number down.

I was just pointing out a particularly poor way of assigning truth. I did so because I think it's becoming a more prevalent way of thinking. Instead of teaching people critical thinking these days, people are being taught to prefer the middle ground, "moderate", risk-less answers. Well, let's look for truth where truth can be found, no matter how extreme and risky it may be. No matter how it may offend or not.
LOL, I'm literally chuckling that you think being moderate is dumbing down thinking. It's the exact opposite. A ham-fisted, binary answer to a complex issue is the dumbed down approach. I can't even fathom someone looking at our culture and saying the problem is that people are being intellectually lazy by being moderate. That's truly the most bizarre, ludicrous thing I've read on the internet all year. To think someone could say, in all seriousness, that taking into accounts all sides of a story instead of immediately jumping to an extreme conclusion that one side of an issue is 100% right or wrong is evidence of a lack of critical thinking is unfathomable to me. I just can't believe you when you say the problem with our culture is that people are too scared to be extreme and are instead too moderate. My mind has truly been blown for the first time in a long time. I wish it were for a positive reason. I'm literally screen shotting this to everyone I know right now, I'm that astounded at your post. Even the least cynical person I know would concede that our culture lazily jumps to an extreme, oversimplified answer too often instead of hearing out all sides of an issue. But you think our problem is we are scared to be extreme?!?! I wish I had a better vocabulary to voice how overwhelmed I am by your stance.

Exceptions don't prove rules. They undermine them. That's another commonly accepted bit of anti-logic.

No. My counter was that your argument breaks its own rule. The funny thing is that your rule is overly simplistic, abysmal logic.

The lesson would be to attack an argument on its own merits, as opposed to relying on some unfounded rule of thumb to discredit it. If @Jackcrevol's argument was untrue, then argue a valid reason why. Like the fact that each supposed "victim" made a choice to snort the drug. He could counter the chemical effects on human brain receptors. You two could have a nuanced discussion on the philosophy of human volition in the argument of drug addictions, and the actions of drug dealers to increase revenue and foster addiction.

Now, that would be a far more interesting and truth-seeking debate than the binary, non-circumspect, non-moderate logical short-cut argument that only moderate and circumspect arguments are to be trusted. You'd probably actually find that @Jackcrevol offered a fairly moderate and nuanced perspective. Quite often, drug addict deaths are culpable for their actions while also being victims of the drug trade.

My nephew died of a heroin overdose. He was culpable for taking the drugs. But the dealers had been lacing the product with (cheaper and much stronger) fentinol to varying degrees to increase profits and worsen addiction, much like the tobacco companies had been doing throughout their histories. My nephew got a batch of heroin with far too much fentinol in it, and it turned him purple and swelled his brain until they turned the life support off.

He was culpable for shooting it. He was also a victim of a horrible and seedy industry that's willing to kill people for profit.
You need to take a logic class. An exception does prove a rule, that's literally in the rhetoric and logic textbook. The exception stands out so starkly because the rule is so frequently adhered to, so it's super easy for you to grab an exception because it contrasts so completely woth the norm (rule) and it's so rare that it leaps out at you.

Also, history and experience are the reasons for my stance on not trusting lazy extremist conclusions that one side of a complex issue is 100% right or wrong. It be yet to see a complex scenario that can truthfully and fairly be simplified to a binary extreme. You're acting like that's extremely common.

Your nephew's example is a great example of that. Our culture leans toward assigning blame to one place, when in reality, almost always, blame should be spread around. Why you use an example that's evidence for my stance while disagreeing with me is confusing.

VN Store

Back