Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

Man that sounds amazing! Lol gotta give me at least one cautionary tale, I feel like I need that actually. I’d like to know as much as possible going in - both positive and negative.
OK...

Plane was having electrical issues. Was flying north from KGVL to KTRI at night. Was solid IMC over the mountains, but I had just broke out a few minutes prior. I would have been roughly south east of Knoxville at that time. Electrical bus shorted *hard*...drawing way too much power...battery dropping fast. Was talking to KTYS at the moment, got them to vector me over to I40 (easy to navigate in the dark) and call ahead to KTRI telling them I had electrical failure. Got to I40, shut down the bus and went dark. A short time later, showers of sparks started coming over the cowling from around the prop. I thought "OK, this is how it ends"...but fortunately the sparks stopped. I got to KTRI, switched on the bus, had just enough power to call and get cleared for landing...straight in 5, cleared to the ramp. Battery failed seconds later. I landed and taxied dark, but uneventfully.

After getting home, I realized that the failure had occurred minutes after I broke out of solid IMC, over the mountains, at night. Had it failed minutes before, I would've need to fly by flashlight. Upon checking my flight bag I found that the batteries in all 3 flashlights were basically dead...as I would have been had I needed them.

Not cool.

I have several other fun stories.

OK...

Plane was having electrical issues. Was flying north from KGVL to KTRI at night. Was solid IMC over the mountains, but I had just broke out a few minutes prior. I would have been roughly south east of Knoxville at that time. Electrical bus shorted *hard*...drawing way too much power...battery dropping fast. Was talking to KTYS at the moment, got them to vector me over to I40 (easy to navigate in the dark) and call ahead to KTRI telling them I had electrical failure. Got to I40, shut down the bus and went dark. A short time later, showers of sparks started coming over the cowling from around the prop. I thought "OK, this is how it ends"...but fortunately the sparks stopped. I got to KTRI, switched on the bus, had just enough power to call and get cleared for landing...straight in 5, cleared to the ramp. Battery failed seconds later. I landed and taxied dark, but uneventfully.

After getting home, I realized that the failure had occurred minutes after I broke out of solid IMC, over the mountains, at night. Had it failed minutes before, I would've need to fly by flashlight. Upon checking my flight bag I found that the batteries in all 3 flashlights were basically dead...as I would have been had I needed them.

Not cool.

I have several other fun stories.
I got sweaty palms reading that.

Man that sounds amazing! Lol gotta give me at least one cautionary tale, I feel like I need that actually. I’d like to know as much as possible going in - both positive and negative.
Twss GIF - TWSS - Discover & Share GIFs

Reactions: knoxvol52

VN Store

Back