Recruiting forum off topic thread (no politics, covid, or hot button issues)

I would hope so, you’re going to jail for that
tenor.gif

I was wrong about the 90's movie. Had to ask my Hollywood source ( my wife). There's a skit that reenacts the Smith/Rock scene done by Dharr Man that has been circulated on the internet as a 90's movie scene. The original idea, I am told, is loosely based on "A Star Is Born" from 1954 with Judy Garland and James Mason. Sorry for the misinfo on the 90's movie.
I'd read that that scene was passed around social media as the source of the Smith/Rock thing, but that was a lie. What I read was that the film short was made four months after Smith/Rock. That's why I asked.

He stalks me. I'm sure he'll tell some story about how my nudz are "unwanted", but he still pays the subscription fee each month. Pretty sure he's the creepy guy I see drive past my house several times a day.
You don’t know what I drive….I mean, WEIRD

@engineerVOL spent 5 1/2 hours building a gravel area for a storage shed.

And ideas for a quick floor? My thought was measuring interior, and using landscaping spikes in lieu of anchors.

Who here has their private pilot’s license?

Love it? Worth it?
I just about had mine. I worked hard, had 70-80 hrs in the seat. Passed the written. Was 2 cross countries and a check ride from having mine. Failed a medical and gave up on it. It's a long story but sleep apnea got me. Sleep apnea is a racket. I had surgery and it cured my apnea but I couldn't get a doctor to change the initial report. Other docs won't disagree with another doctor.

I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have. I wish I'd started earlier.

I just about had mine. I worked hard, had 70-80 hrs in the seat. Passed the written. Was 2 cross countries and a check ride from having mine. Failed a medical and gave up on it. It's a long story but sleep apnea got me. Sleep apnea is a racket. I had surgery and it cured my apnea but I couldn't get a doctor to change the initial report. Other docs won't disagree with another doctor.

I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have. I wish I'd started earlier.

Saving this bc I for sure will have questions. Starting to research it more to see if it’s something I want to do. But I wouldn’t want to do it all and then not use it.

Saving this bc I for sure will have questions. Starting to research it more to see if it’s something I want to do. But I wouldn’t want to do it all and then not use it.
It's something you can use your whole life. Even if you don't use it for a while you can reup by taking a check ride with an instructor. While you travel you can rent planes. My son is thinking about getting his. We're fortunate that we have access to a plane we can use. We just have to pay for fuel, the instructor, and I usually throw my uncle a couple of hundred for insurance and stuff.

It's something you can use your whole life. Even if you don't use it for a while you can reup by taking a check ride with an instructor. While you travel you can rent planes. My son is thinking about getting his. We're fortunate that we have access to a plane we can use. We just have to pay for fuel, the instructor, and I usually throw my uncle a couple of hundred for insurance and stuff.

My intent would be to fly a good amount. I’m trying snag an older plane and fly to wherever I want on weekends, obviously when I’m skilled enough to do so. But haven’t decided on the investment and if it’s more of a dream than reality.

Reactions: TheRain
My intent would be to fly a good amount. I’m trying snag an older plane and fly to wherever I want on weekends, obviously when I’m skilled enough to do so. But haven’t decided on the investment and if it’s more of a dream than reality.
A couple of things to remember... your first certification will be VFR (visual flight rules). When flying VFR you are very weather dependent. You can't fly through clouds. You can fly under clouds but not within 500' if I remember correctly. This means you just have to be flexible with your travel. You can get IFR (instrument flight rated) which will allow you to fly through clouds. It just takes more time and money.

It's a lot of fun and is neat to be able to do things over a shorter period of time. Rather than buying, you might consider joining a club. Also, shared ownership is a good way to go too. The cost of the plane is not the only cost. It's significant to maintain as well. Every year the plan has to be checked. This is called the annual. Everything is gone over with a fine toothed comb. The more complicated the plane the more expensive. Twins cost a lot more than singles. Retractable gear cost more than fixed.

How often do you fly now that you have it? How long have you had it?
I did it through UT Martin when I was there in the early 90's. They offered one semester of aviation class, and we flew out of the Union City airport just up the road.

Some local businessmen (who owned a Cessna) were in that class, so I fell in with them and started to build up some hours. I flew every chance I could get for a couple of years... then I met My first wife, got married, had a kid and ended up working every hour I could. I always intended to get back into it but... I never did.

I don't know what you plan to do with it but I'll say this. I loved every part of it. I loved the classroom, the training, my first solo, the night flying. Some of us flew to Fedx in Memphis and they let us fly the DC 10 simulator.

If you have the means to do it, why not.

Reactions: MarcoVol
@MarcoVol

I have a private license and am instrument rated. I have owned 3 planes. I stopped flying when battling some health challenges, and although I'd be fine to fly now I've just never gotten back into it since recovering. I cannot hear or see a plane pass overhead without stopping to look, I really enjoyed it. Like many pilots, I've had my share of white knuckled moments...weather, ice, equipment failure, stupid pilot tricks, etc. Enough to know that the risk of death is real, but were the opportunity to present itself, I wouldn't hesitate to fly again.

Reactions: MarcoVol
@MarcoVol

I have a private license and am instrument rated. I have owned 3 planes. I stopped flying when battling some health challenges, and although I'd be fine to fly now I've just never gotten back into it since recovering. I cannot hear or see a plane pass overhead without stopping to look, I really enjoyed it. Like many pilots, I've had my share of white knuckled moments...weather, ice, equipment failure, stupid pilot tricks, etc. Enough to know that the risk of death is real, but were the opportunity to present itself, I wouldn't hesitate to fly again.

I just saw this. I appreciate the insight from y’all.

Did you take many trips solo? I’d like to be able to hop in my own plane and fly wherever I want and go explore more of the US. Or did you mainly stay around your home airport?

I just saw this. I appreciate the insight from y’all.

Did you take many trips solo? I’d like to be able to hop in my own plane and fly wherever I want and go explore more of the US. Or did you mainly stay around your home airport?
I traveled pretty far. West to Texas, north to Wisconsin/Michigan/Illinois, south to Florida. Primary A/C was a '63 turbo normalized Comanche. Would cruise about 170kts.

Best single flight memory...night flight coming home from Chicago, 14k ft, 40kts tailwind but calm otherwise, visibility basically unlimited. At 14k the air is thin enough that it gets noticeably quieter and it was late enough that there wasn't much radio chatter. I was solo. Was just magic seeing cities 50 miles away, watching the world crawl by. I miss it.

I can also give you some stories that are cautionary tales. But you might not want fly after those. ;)

I traveled pretty far. West to Texas, north to Wisconsin/Michigan/Illinois, south to Florida. Primary A/C was a '63 turbo normalized Comanche. Would cruise about 170kts.

Best single flight memory...night flight coming home from Chicago, 14k ft, 40kts tailwind but calm otherwise, visibility basically unlimited. At 14k the air is thin enough that it gets noticeably quieter and it was late enough that there wasn't much radio chatter. I was solo. Was just magic seeing cities 50 miles away, watching the world crawl by. I miss it.

I can also give you some stories that are cautionary tales. But you might not want fly after those. ;)

Man that sounds amazing! Lol gotta give me at least one cautionary tale, I feel like I need that actually. I’d like to know as much as possible going in - both positive and negative.

VN Store

Back