Rep Massie posts gun photo

With semiautomatics it's dependent on the operator. X person may not be able to fire as fast as y person.

True of basically any repeating weapon; revolver, lever, pump, whatever.

Don't worry, he's got all kinds of levels of stupid lined up to try and make us forget he wanted to redefine a mechanism by parameters unrelated to it's functional description. That nonsense was tantamount to defining the difference between an automatic vs a manual car transmission by speed and braking measurements.

With semiautomatics it's dependent on the operator. X person may not be able to fire as fast as y person.
No biggie.
Have a group of five people of varying proficiency fire each gun and take the average. (The ATF x/y Squad)

Otherwise your categories don’t work. If shooting speed is dependent on the person, and your goal is to regulate shooting speed, you end up in Kurt’s world
Shooting speed is dependent on more than just the person.
Or are you claiming that a person will fire the same number of rounds in 20 seconds no matter what gun they are using?

Shooting speed is dependent on more than just the person.
Or are you claiming that a person will fire the same number of rounds in 20 seconds no matter what gun they are using?

For semiautomatic weapons, the biggest variable is the shooter. If you’re comparing semi to auto, obviously that’s not the biggest variable

The most significant variable. But instead of going into the weeds, let’s address the real issue. Do you have an issue with semi automatic weapons?
I have an issue with anything that provides the capability of firing 20 rounds in 5 seconds.....just throwing out some numbers for conversation sake. (I don't care what name is given to that capability)

I have an issue with anything that provides the capability of firing 20 rounds in 5 seconds.....just throwing out some numbers for conversation sake. (I don't care what name is given to that capability)

Why do you find the number of rounds per second to be relevant? I’m assuming you consider that to be more deadly yet the military has almost entirely went away from faster firing automatic weapons in favor of slower semiautomatic weapons

Why do you believed that x rounds per second (whatever that may be) is too dangerous but x-1 is okay?

Reactions: Rickyvol77

How about 5 rounds in under a second or 12 shots in 6 seconds or 16 shots in 4 seconds?

Jerry Miculek - Wikipedia

Why do you find the number of rounds per second to be relevant? I’m assuming you consider that to be more deadly yet the military has almost entirely went away from faster firing automatic weapons in favor of slower semiautomatic weapons

Why do you believed that x rounds per second (whatever that may be) is too dangerous but x-1 is okay?
I just think a million rounds in a tenth of a second serves no purpose and that any possible good would be far outweighed by the inevitable bad.
Now I'm just trying to find that ratio that does make sense and is acceptable.

I just think a million rounds in a tenth of a second serves no purpose and that any possible good would be far outweighed by the inevitable bad.
Now I'm just trying to find that ratio that does make sense and is acceptable.

You’re not going to ever find that because it’s a nonsensical question to begin with. The idea that x is bad but x-1 isn’t, is to absurd of a question to answer.

If a gun fired 1 million rounds in a 1 second or less as you mentioned, it would have almost 0 utility. So the problem you seek to solve through government is one already solved by the market. One million rounds even without government intervention making ammo overpriced would cost more than most people’s mortgage and would have no demand

Reactions: hog88
You’re not going to ever find that because it’s a nonsensical question to begin with. The idea that x is bad but x-1 isn’t, is to absurd of a question to answer.

If a gun fired 1 million rounds in a 1 second or less as you mentioned, it would have almost 0 utility. So the problem you seek to solve through government is one already solved by the market. One million rounds even without government intervention making ammo overpriced would cost more than most people’s mortgage and would have no demand
We do it all the time.
Speed limits
Blood alcohol level
We constantly draw arbitrary lines......it's a must.

Reactions: bnhunt
We do it all the time.
Speed limits
Blood alcohol level
We constantly draw arbitrary lines......it's a must.

Is it? If we eliminated blood alcohol level tonight, would our system crumble or would you still need to do objective things like stay in your lane and obey stop signs/red lights

Is it? If we eliminated blood alcohol level tonight, would our system crumble or would you still need to do objective things like stay in your lane and obey stop signs/red lights
It is.
Speed limits were a great example.
Letting a person vote on their 18th birthday but denying a person who is a day short of their birthday is another perfect example.
A line has to be drawn.

It is.
Speed limits were a great example.
Letting a person vote on their 18th birthday but denying a person who is a day short of their birthday is another perfect example.
A line has to be drawn.

We have a line. The line is automatic weapons. I’m also assuming we agree that eliminating any arbitrary DUI limits wouldn’t change anything

You're missing the heart of the stupid. (unless you're just trolling him...then do carry on)

Be it a semi, a revolver, a pump, a lever, whatever they are all just mechanical platform types. The only endgame with his approach (unless he and his ilk want to go all Tipper Gore and push for Rate Of Fire stickers on guns, which gunowners would find hilarious) would be some quarter-assed (half-assed would be giving it waaaaay too much credit) attempt to create a gun control hierarchy. Nevermind that the most terrifying to the hoplophobes of the bunch has over two centuries of civilian use and is in fact (and for some time now) the most popular and commonly used of the bunch.

Reactions: Vol8188
You're missing the heart of the stupid. (unless you're just trolling him...then do carry on)

Be it a semi, a revolver, a pump, a lever, whatever they are all just mechanical platform types. The only endgame with his approach (unless he and his ilk want to go all Tipper Gore and push for Rate Of Fire stickers on guns, which gunowners would find hilarious) would be some quarter-assed (half-assed would be giving it waaaaay too much credit) attempt to create a gun control hierarchy. Nevermind that the most terrifying to the hoplophobes of the bunch has over two centuries of civilian use and is in fact (and for some time now) the most popular and commonly used of the bunch.

I understand the insane level he wants to go (I think) I’m just trying to point out the market itself prevents his irrational fear

No biggie.
Have a group of five people of varying proficiency fire each gun and take the average. (The ATF x/y Squad)
LOL

This is getting better and better.

Somebody whip out a video of one of those crazy wild-west style revolver speed demons. Those guys are way quicker on target with multiple rounds than I am with my SuperScary Semiautomatic Assault Pistols.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
LOL

This is getting better and better.

Somebody whip out a video of one of those crazy wild-west style revolver speed demons. Those guys are way quicker on target with multiple rounds than I am with my SuperScary Semiautomatic Assault Pistols.

They should be forced to wear a rubber band at all times extending from their index finger to their pinky that will create resist and slow their rate of fire back down to x

VN Store

Back