Reparations, income handouts, guaranteed jobs: Dems tilt hard left

On the manual labor/trade school thing:

Read an article today about taking analog clocks out of schools in England because kids can't tell time with them. The same article indicated they're also having trouble using pens and pencils with speculation that where play used to be more focused on physical activity the move to digital play has thwarted hand muscle development and the control one needs to manipulate pens/pencils.

Schools are removing analogue clocks from exam halls as teenagers 'cannot tell the time'

I imagine that many people b!tched and moaned when sundials were removed.

I would support a jobs retraining program that helps those who want employment train in areas of need kind get the training they require to start out. Kind of like a vocational rehab program.

However, just setting up yet another government agency that just adds more bureaucracy into the mix and does little more than help "muh feels" isn't going to work.

I would go further. As long as we have welfare, able bodied recipients should be working for that money. I would give some options...

1. Work 20 hours per week cleaning rest stops, roads, providing day care for other workfare recipients, etc.

2. Remaining 20 hour work week spent looking for gainful employment or education (don't care if it's college, trade school, barber school etc)

OR

3. Work full time at above occupations for welfare money and medicaid. Don't show and check is docked.

teaching cursive is archaic IMO. This isn't 1854, most writing is done with technology, aka typing. Not being literate in cursive has nothing to do with signing a name. Hell I know cursive and I can't read most people's signatures.

If you're taking that approach, why teach writing at all? Also, why emphasize spelling, when we have spell check?

It's time to do away w/the Democratic Party.....they're worthless to America.

Partisanship in general is worthless to America. Doesn't really matter if it's Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, or any other party. All it does is create sides who are so busy competing against each other, trying so hard to beat each other, that America itself actually loses in the long run. Political parties divide, they don't unite. They undercut the whole idea of the "United" States of America. People will always have different ideas, but political parties themselves discourage people from working together. Democrats, Republicans, they want to win. It's not about what they can accomplish together, but what they can accomplish in spite of each other. My personal opinion is that America often loses because of this.

Reactions: 1 person
Colleges like making money, and it doesn't really matter to them if you finish your degree or can even get a job afterwards, let alone pay off your loans. I agree that too many go to college that have no business being there. It's simply not for everyone. You can make a good living with a trade school or technical school degree. Such training has been deemphasized for whatever reason.
being a plumber is nowhere near as sexy as a Doctor of Gender Appreciation Studies.

I would go further. As long as we have welfare, able bodied recipients should be working for that money. I would give some options...

1. Work 20 hours per week cleaning rest stops, roads, providing day care for other workfare recipients, etc.

2. Remaining 20 hour work week spent looking for gainful employment or education (don't care if it's college, trade school, barber school etc)

OR

3. Work full time at above occupations for welfare money and medicaid. Don't show and check is docked.
pretty heartless.

Lots of kids are taught that college is the only way nowadays that you can have a good paying career. When I was 18 I didn’t even know what my trade school even offered, or what the pay/potential was.

They let you figure that out when you're an adult and have to call a plumber for the first time...

OR

And I'll take it even further.

Enough of the damn crazy requirements to be licensed! As a society, we've gone a bit overboard with the licensing everything in the world. For crying out loud, strippers in Kansas have to be licensed. All sorts of single moms and college girls are being denied good money for want of a license.

Anyway, it should be a simple and cheap process.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Hell, in this country most public schools don't teach cursive anymore. We'll eventually have a generation that won't be able to read/write cursive and won't even be able to sign their names.

Already happening. Ever see the "incident" in the Trayvon Martin trial?...

"I don't read cursive"..

And I'll take it even further.

Enough of the damn crazy requirements to be licensed! As a society, we've gone a bit overboard with the licensing everything in the world. For crying out loud, strippers in Kansas have to be licensed. All sorts of single moms and college girls are being denied good money for want of a license.

Anyway, it should be a simple and cheap process.

Where do we sign up to be final exam judges?

If you're taking that approach, why teach writing at all? Also, why emphasize spelling, when we have spell check?

that's quite a leap to say "if we don't teach cursive we shouldn't teach writing".

I'd venture to say most people print when they write anyways and don't use cursive.

And just to be clear, I think there are fair arguments on both sides.

Last edited:
that's quite a leap to say "if we don't teach cursive we shouldn't teach writing".

I'd venture to say most people print when they write anyways and don't use cursive.

And just to be clear, I think there are fair arguments on both sides.

He has a point about spell check. I think this is the most illiterate generation since the early 1900's when people quit school in the 5-7 grade time frame.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
On the manual labor/trade school thing:

Read an article today about taking analog clocks out of schools in England because kids can't tell time with them. The same article indicated they're also having trouble using pens and pencils with speculation that where play used to be more focused on physical activity the move to digital play has thwarted hand muscle development and the control one needs to manipulate pens/pencils.

Schools are removing analogue clocks from exam halls as teenagers 'cannot tell the time'

I fully believe we are devolving ourselves.

Agree on all points. I’d like to see trade schools subsidized to try and incentivize kids to move into these jobs that will soon have massive shortages.

I'd like to see trades back in the high schools, like many of the European countries and Australia do. A kid should have the option of leaving HS with a marketable skill.

I'd like to see trades back in the high schools, like many of the European countries and Australia do. A kid should have the option of leaving HS with a marketable skill.

I wish I could have taken auto shop in high school I just couldnt manage the extra hours based on prerequisites for engineering at UT.

I wish I could have taken auto shop in high school I just couldnt manage the extra hours based on prerequisites for engineering at UT.

We still had a co-op program when I was in school, several of my buddies took that route and were hired right out of HS as welders and electricians.

We still had a co-op program when I was in school, several of my buddies took that route and were hired right out of HS as welders and electricians.

My oldest took that route. Graduated 2 years ago and will have his hours to take his journeyman's exam this summer. He'll be making more than the teachers here in OK with no student loan debt.

My oldest took that route. Graduated 2 years ago and will have his hours to take his journeyman's exam this summer. He'll be making more than the teachers here in OK with no student loan debt.

So, he's making $7.35 an hour?

:)

VN Store

Back