Republicans on Volnation.

<--- Libertarian

Economically conservative, VERY socially liberal

I have no candidate.

(orange&#043;white=heaven &#064; Jul 21 said:
but the loudest voices and longest winds talk republican.

I don&#39;t know about the loudest individually - maybe collectively.

A possible reason for the long winds (including this one).

It appears that the republican side comes from the "left-brain" view of discussion (building arguments piece by piece to demonstrate the logic) while the democratic side comes from the "right-brain" side (focus on the whole and more emotionally derived decision making).

For example; the stem cell debate from the "left-brain" - Break down what the components of the bill, describe the implications, and argue against blanket conclusions. For a left-brainer, the veto is just one-piece or decision in a whole area of science and the attempt is to put it into that perspective. From the "right-brain" side the debate is more wholistic and emotion-based, summarized in one statement such as W shouldn&#39;t have this power or this veto will cost the lives of millions, etc.

There is some empirical research to support this view - Conservatives tend to be more "left-brained" and Liberals tend to be more "right-brained". As further anedotal evidence, artistic type people (right-brained) tend to be more liberal.

I think this theory partially (see that&#39;s a left-brain statement) explains why political debate gets so heated - there is not even agreement on "how" to discuss the issues.

Ironically, people on the left are "right-brained" and people on the right are "left-brained".

Awaiting the "Liberals are the ones in their "right-mind"" comment :ninja:

(volinbham &#064; Jul 21 said:
A possible reason for the long winds (including this one).
Wow, what an in depth look at a lighthearted swat at the right side of ye olde poliforum&#33; I&#39;m guessing things are a might slow today?

As further anedotal evidence, artistic type people (right-brained) tend to be more liberal.
:blush2: Alright teach, you nailed me...

Awaiting the "Liberals are the ones in their "right-mind"" comment :ninja:
Not necessary, as you already seem to grasp this truth...

(orange&#043;white=heaven &#064; Jul 21 said:
Wow, what an in depth look at a lighthearted swat at the right side of ye olde poliforum&#33; I&#39;m guessing things are a might slow today?

Yep, pretty slow. Plus, if it wasn&#39;t indepth it wouldn&#39;t support my theory :p

(Orangewhiteblood &#064; Jul 21 said:
I&#39;d like to see you try and take my vote away... :aggressive:
nah, not cause you didnt vote for bush but because that means you voted for kerry.

democratic_crybaby_seal.jpg

seuss_onefish.jpg

If we are going with stupid stereo types..............

Red State Soldiers Blue State....well.........
redblue.jpg

I&#39;m not gonna pretend to be educated enough just yet to decide whether or not I&#39;m truly a Democrat, Republican, or soemthing else. I lean to the left on some issues, and to the right on others. On average so far, I&#39;d say it&#39;s more to the left.

(utvolpj &#064; Jul 21 said:
looks like you just summed up the hopes of the Dems right there.

Yeah, nothing new, but it might just work this time.

If Bush can win as a Republican, I have no doubt a competent Republican will also win.

(tidwell &#064; Jul 21 said:
If Bush can win as a Republican, I have no doubt a competent Republican will also win.

Yeah, but you have to look at all the stuff hanging on the Republican party this time. The list just goes on and on.

(tidwell &#064; Jul 21 said:
Bush seems to be a fairly competent person. Are you a perfect speaker?

(smoke_em06 &#064; Jul 21 said:
Bush seems to be a fairly competent person. Are you a perfect speaker?

Infact I am. I bet I could even read a speech that&#39;s already been written for me rather clearly as well.

I consider myself quite conservative but not to the &#39;extreme&#39; where anyone NOT conservative is wrong. I think there are liberals/Dems that have decent ideas. I may disagree with them but that doesn&#39;t make them &#39;stupid&#39;. Right now I find more issue with &#39;stupid&#39; coming from my own side of the aisle. If you listen to the logic used on the floor of Congress, some GOP leaders sound as skewed as Dems. That is why I now consider myself a disgruntled conservative. Considering that government has grown, so has the deficit, the main issues needing attention by conservatives are bumped to the side while we argue over flag burning, gay marriage, Terri Schiavo, etc.

Friends tell me I&#39;m turning into a Dem because all I do is gripe about what the GOP is or is not doing. Well when the GOP is in charge and they&#39;re the ones making dumb moves that are truly embarrassing for conservatism, you&#39;ll hear me griping about them. Honestly, what&#39;s the point in me griping about Dems since they&#39;re not in charge and have no control over what&#39;s going on?

I think that is what is truly wrong with the Right now. Leaders and pundits on the Right want us to pound the Dems left and right (no pun intended) while those same people are not exactly making smart choices themselves. Very rarely do you hear Hannity and Limbaugh taking the GOP behind the woodshed. Usually when they do it is for not being aggressive enough on rhetoric when it actually should be a constant vigil of not being conservative enough in principles.

I was prepared to say, "Is anyone surprised that a guy with &#39;Spin&#39; in his name is a conservative?" But you seem like a good one, CSpindizzy. :D :p

VN Store

Back