Rich Men North of Richmond

He didn't say his song doesn't represent him. He said politicians don't represent him. I think a lot of R's assumed redneck writes hit political song he must be a die hard Republican and that does not appear to be the case and now you guys got egg on your face.
I think it's fair to say both sides assumed he was a Republican. It's also fair to say one side called him a racist. And I am not even talking about the extremes. Run of the mill Dems latched onto it hard.

He didn't say his song doesn't represent him. He said politicians don't represent him. I think a lot of R's assumed redneck writes hit political song he must be a die hard Republican and that does not appear to be the case and now you guys got egg on your face.
There were several of our own left leaning friends on this board who were calling him a racist earlier this week.

I guess the time he picked to write was just pretty random.
Actually, I think it was random. This guy said nothing but, "I'm just a frustrated idiot with a guitar who can't even play or sing that good." Listening to the song, he's correct about that.

He still hasn't signed a record deal, as far as I know, and probably shouldn't. He had no choice but to get paid by the media services once it went viral. He owns the damn song whether he likes it or not.

I don't think he wanted any of this attention. The song got popular from some nothing website that records mostly mid to lower talented West Virginia artists. It's hard to blame him for what the media made it out to be.

Actually, I think it was random. This guy said nothing but, "I'm just a frustrated idiot with a guitar who can't even play or sing that good." Listening to the song, he's correct about that.

He still hasn't signed a record deal, as far as I know, and probably shouldn't. He had no choice but to get paid by the media services once it went viral. He owns the damn song whether he likes it or not.

I don't think he wanted any of this attention. The song got popular from some nothing website that records mostly mid to lower talented West Virginia artists. It's hard to blame him for what the media made it out to be.
So the idiot can't play or sing good. Ok.

So the idiot can't play or sing good. Ok.
I'm not upset with the guy but I just don't think he's been given a fair shake in any of this by anyone. He had the guts to do the video of his song on a website with virtually no reach and folks liked his song and he got paid. That's an American success story.

I hope he gets successful treatment for his depression and stays off whatever junk he was addicted to.

Other than that, he seems to want to disappear from the spotlight and based on the talent I saw in that song, I think we should let him.

I'm not high on the song but its been hilarious and sad at the same damn time watching the reactions to it. republicans are still idiots and the left ain't much more than some relatively fortunate bigots and a bunch of minorities with nowhere else to go

Reactions: EasternVol
I'm not upset with the guy but I just don't think he's been given a fair shake in any of this by anyone. He had the guts to do the video of his song on a website with virtually no reach and folks liked his song and he got paid. That's an American success story.

I hope he gets successful treatment for his depression and stays off whatever junk he was addicted to.

Other than that, he seems to want to disappear from the spotlight and based on the talent I saw in that song, I think we should let him.
I dont think hes that bad. almost serviceable picker, some soul in that voice. writing is sufficient to express desperation but a lot of clunky throwaway lines in his songs I've heard. I'm sure he regrets the fudge rounds. it wasn't very eloquent and is pretty much the entire reason he was pidgeon holed as a hank hill type guy

Reactions: kiddiedoc
The guy has got a strong voice--and I suspect if he has ambition and can get some good advice from a few people in the country-music
industry he might make a name for himself.

I dont think hes that bad. almost serviceable picker, some soul in that voice. writing is sufficient to express desperation but a lot of clunky throwaway lines in his songs I've heard. I'm sure he regrets the fudge rounds. it wasn't very eloquent and is pretty much the entire reason he was pidgeon holed as a hank hill type guy
I'm reminded (showing my age) of the John Sebastian song "Nashville Cats" and there's a lot of writers and pickers in Nashville who probably just shake their heads at this guy because a lot of them write in the "poor guy pissed at government" genre and WANT to be famous..... and he comes along, without trying, and gets rich with this song.

And no, it's not awful. He had a lot of guts to sing on video with it and he's in tune, which is more than one can say about many that play the neon circuit in Nashville. There's just literally thousands of songwriters within 100 miles of Nashville and Austin TX who will be MORE than happy to write in this genre for us.

This guy seems to want to be left alone.

VN Store

Back