Rocky Top

I hope all of you will commend me for my brave honesty rather than condemn me for my opinion. But OMG I HATE this f_cking song! Yes even as a Tennessee fan. I have never liked it! All I can picture when I hear this is overalls, bare feet, and corncobb pipes! I know this is blasphemy to prettymuch everyone on this forum but I have never really embraced this unofficial fight song! I'd much prefer to hear our ACTUAL fight song "Down The Field".
Heck boy, us folks up here in Claiborne county Tn love our overalls and running around barefoot. ROCKY TOP IS WHO WE ARE ! Iโ€™ve always taught my children to never forget where you came from and never be ashamed of your heritage . GBO

I hope all of you will commend me for my brave honesty rather than condemn me for my opinion. But OMG I HATE this f_cking song! Yes even as a Tennessee fan. I have never liked it! All I can picture when I hear this is overalls, bare feet, and corncobb pipes! I know this is blasphemy to pretty much everyone on this forum but I have never really embraced this unofficial fight song! I'd much prefer to hear our ACTUAL fight song "Down The Field".
Meh. Bluegrass isn't for everyone. I grew up on Charlie Daniels, Conway Twitty, and all the bands that routinely covered it, so it was an easy song for me to like, even without the Tennessee association.

Meanwhile, I'm sure all the virtue signalers in here play Rocky Top in their car every day on the drive to work. You know. Because it's so good ๐Ÿ˜‚.

You should embrace the song if for no other fact that it supremely pisses off every single fan of every team we play. Also, it will be ringing in their head for days after they've left the stadium.
LOL, yep my Vandy relatives hate it. May it continue to ring in their ears. ๐Ÿ˜

Reactions: MAD
I hope all of you will commend me for my brave honesty rather than condemn me for my opinion. But OMG I HATE this f_cking song! Yes even as a Tennessee fan. I have never liked it! All I can picture when I hear this is overalls, bare feet, and corncobb pipes! I know this is blasphemy to pretty much everyone on this forum but I have never really embraced this unofficial fight song! I'd much prefer to hear our ACTUAL fight song "Down The Field".

ETSU alum says what again?!

Reactions: marvin616
I think this song has in it what you bring to it.

I mean, it's a catchy tune written by people who know music theory. So, objectively, it's as good as any other song.

After that, it's all on us. If we like it, it's because we're predisposed to like it. If we don't like it, it's because those folks are pinko commies who probably secretly think of themselves as Bama fans and kneel by their bedside every night to whisper a prayer to Satan, I mean Saban.

In summary, post #4 sucks.

Objectively speaking, of course. Woo!

Go Vols!

Tell that little girl...

"There AIN'T NO "WOO" in Rocky top, Darlin'....GOT IT??!!"
In a performance like this, I agree with you. In the stadium, I like the wooo because it is blood curdling , annoying, and deflating to our opponents...like a rebel yell. I like how one of the violin girls woooed and the other did not! Divisive even within their family.

To me both Rocky Top and Orange are obnoxious things, but they are our things and I would not trade either for anything.

Reactions: MAD
To me both Rocky Top and Orange are obnoxious things, but they are our things and I would not trade either for anything.
Orange is the color of humor and warmth.

More specifically,

BournCreative said:
Orange is associated with meanings of joy, warmth, heat, sunshine, enthusiasm, creativity, success, encouragement, change, determination, health, stimulation, happiness, fun, enjoyment, balance, sexuality, freedom, expression, and fascination.
Meaning of The Color Orange |.

Meanwhile,
-- Red is for danger and fear (crimson red specifically is for brain-dead, sister-marrying danger and fear).
-- Yellow is for cowardice and decay.
-- Green is for poison, but also for growth and renewal.
-- Purple is for royalty and mental retardation.
-- Blue is for faithfulness, but also sadness (the two kind of frequently go together, if you think about it).
-- Black is for death.
-- White is for purity and new beginnings.
-- Grey is for neutrality, balance.
-- Brown is for poop.

As you can see, orange is, without question, the very best of the colors.

What in cousin fkin tarnation, Alabama Betty Crocker, Mrs. Betty White superiority complex **** is that?

If you ain't proud of your southern heritage, just say so. But the majority of us here come from a long line of overall wearing farmers, moonshiners, pipe smoking, southern draw talking, coon dog loving, sweat tea drinking, God fearing, hard working, blue collared, barefoot and backwoods walking, banjo picking sons of b1tches. But that don't make us the uneducated, idiotic, toothless hillbillies, that some of you city folks make us out to be.

I love my Southern people and proud of my southern roots, but I wouldn't expect someone offended by Rocky Top and torn between a southern team and a west coast team to understand.

Yes that is without a doubt the only redeeming factor about the song. And honestly, the POTSB version is much more tolerable than the banjo-picking, jug blowing, "Beverly Hillbilly" version.
It appears you have deeper issues than just the song?? You got something against โ€œHillbilliesโ€??

When I was a kid your behavior was called โ€œacting outโ€ and you got your a$$ busted.

These days you are just plain intolerant.

What in cousin fkin tarnation, Alabama Betty Crocker, Mrs. Betty White superiority complex **** is that?

If you ain't proud of your southern heritage, just say so. But the majority of us here come from a long line of overall wearing farmers, moonshiners, pipe smoking, southern draw talking, coon dog loving, sweat tea drinking, God fearing, hard working, blue collared, barefoot and backwoods walking, banjo picking sons of b1tches. But that don't make us the uneducated, idiotic, toothless hillbillies, that some of you city folks make us out to be.

I love my Southern people and proud of my southern roots, but I wouldn't expect someone offended by Rocky Top and torn between a southern team and a west coast team to understand.

I quoted this post just so people will read it again!!!!!
Post of the year nominee!

"Behr, post: 19828049, member: 24448"]You can crap in one hand and crap in the other cause hoping ain't gone do you no good. Lol. That was about as stupid as your post. No surprise the loser gave you a like for this stupidity. And What's wrong with overalls, bare feet and corncob pipes?"

That's what I was thinking too. Well look at Mr. Fancypants. Me here in my bare feet can't even format Behr's quote correctly either lol. @Behr

Who doesn't love being barefoot? When I was a kid I could run on gravel barefoot.

My kids can now.
LOL! My wife and I were just talking about this the other day. Summer would roll around so we discarded the shoes. The first two days were rough but by day three we would be running thru gravel parking lots with no problem.

Reactions: sona and Alto1

GTFO!

It's embarrassing that the song so reinforces typical redneck/hillbilly stereotypes. I always hope the rest of the country doesn't visualize the lyrics of the song, when they think of Volunteers.
Down the field is great!

Reactions: HalfullVol
"Behr, post: 19828049, member: 24448"]You can crap in one hand and crap in the other cause hoping ain't gone do you no good. Lol. That was about as stupid as your post. No surprise the loser gave you a like for this stupidity. And What's wrong with overalls, bare feet and corncob pipes?"

That's what I was thinking too. Well look at Mr. Fancypants. Me here in my bare feet can't even format Behr's quote correctly either lol. @Behr
I've got two pair of overalls and wore one today. I go barefoot whenever possible. I quit smoking so no need for a corncob pipe but if I did smoke I'd have two of'um.

Come at me!!!

29a38bd1352cad32a632dd4253b186e0.gif

I've got two pair of overalls and wore one today. I go barefoot whenever possible. I quit smoking so no need for a corncob pipe but if I did smoke I'd have two of'um.

Come at me!!!

View attachment 369741
I've walked in many a store barefoot. Imagine the hysteria that could cause today.

VN Store

Back