Rumblings that Pruitt will stay if changes made in offensive side

Bring in Hugh Freeze as the CO-HC&OC and tell Pruitt he will be splitting duties 50% equally and and Pruitt can be CO-HC/DC and then on couple years hand it 100% over to Freeze and tell Pruitt to kick rocks and his buyout is a lot less. Could be the best of all worlds!!!

Most likely they couldn't do this under his contract, given that it states that his position is "Head Football Coach".

will get a chance to stay for year 4 if he changes his offensive staff. Lets review

Year 1.....he puts his staff together with Tyson Helton as OC........they dont get along so he encourages him to hit the road.
Year 2 and 3.....brings Cheney in and most would say that Gitmo handcuffs the offense but they are a dumpster fire.
Year 4......insert whomever he convinces to come to this sinking ship and we will have a 4th year head coach installing a new offense once again with no quarterback?

Why is this a good idea?

Kill two birds with one stone. Hire Art Briles, or Hugh Freeze. They can take over as HC if need be

Most likely they couldn't do this under his contract, given that it states that his position is "Head Football Coach".
Yup it would take Pruitt to concede his current position willing. And since neither option isn’t going to happen then we are just stuck with Pruitt. Maybe he can hire an OC that is good and convince the OC that he has full control of the offense. But Pruitt such a control freak that won’t happen either.

Pruitt isn’t going anywhere regardless of what changes are made. They just extended him and they aren’t gonna pay his buyout right now.

Yes, and plus Fulmer is not going to fire a coach that he gave an extension to less than a year previously....he knows that would make him look bad.

Reactions: MeanOrange
Because giving Butch and Dooley a chance to make wholesale staff changes got each of them fired. For that matter, the changes Phil made after Cut left was also a disaster. This will turn out much the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAVPUT
First off, Pruitt is here for year 4 no matter what changes are made in Offense players or coaches.

Dream scenario is that Fulmer sits down with Pruitt and tells him to not make the mistakes he made...let the OC run things and quit micromanaging.
I bet Fulmer has already given advice to Pruitt and it’s fallen on deaf ears. If Pruitt ignored Fulmer on firing the DLine coach, then he’s clearly not on the same page. I would imagine something is cooking behind the scenes for the next coaching search.

I think Chaney was over rated when we hired him. But with that said, it is just wishful thinking to think canning him will fix anything.

Pruitt micro managed the hell out of Helton, and I'm sure he will micromanage the hell out of whoever we hire next.

With that said, might as well try it. Our offense is as boring and predictable to watch as it is ineffective. I'm sure the next guy can't be any worse.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
"reworking" the staff is a crock of excrement! It doesn't work but rather prolongs the inevitable. TN gave Dooley and Jones "one more year" which further degraded the program. Rip the bandage off already and fire that damn redneck Bama'r - be done with it. It is time to move on. Incredible opportunity out there to go hire Freeze!

Reactions: hog88
The problem is not Cheney. The issue is JP not allowing him to run the offense, this includes allowing him to replace JG. If you look at Cheney’s offense’s elsewhere, they have been nothing but explosive. JP is the real problem.

That's not completely true. Georgia was not explosive nor was Arkansas. He hasn had explosive Offense's since Bray was his QB. I really doubt Pruitt is handcuffing Chaney. That's just a made up rumor and assumption by some Vol fans. Chaney has just failed to evolve and change with the times. Outside of throwing to TE's more, his offense at TN is eerily similar to the ones he had at Georgia. Which was why Ga fans wanted him gone.

Bring in Hugh Freeze as the CO-HC&OC and tell Pruitt he will be splitting duties 50% equally and and Pruitt can be CO-HC/DC and then on couple years hand it 100% over to Freeze and tell Pruitt to kick rocks and his buyout is a lot less. Could be the best of all worlds!!!
Check out my post on this
Very similar
I got skewered for the idea

The problem is not Cheney. The issue is JP not allowing him to run the offense, this includes allowing him to replace JG. If you look at Cheney’s offense’s elsewhere, they have been nothing but explosive. JP is the real problem.
Thank you for that remark. When we were trying to throw the ball at the first of the year and mix it up, Pruitt threw him under the buss about not running more. Now he is running more, in the interview after the Arkansas game he said that he and the other coaches HAD to be more aggressive on offense, Chaney has been successful every where he has been, just allow him to choose the QB and run the offence and you will see a difference. Anybody can see that JG gives us NO CHANCE to win a game against a GOOD team and seldom against an average team

First off, Pruitt is here for year 4 no matter what changes are made in Offense players or coaches.

Dream scenario is that Fulmer sits down with Pruitt and tells him to not make the mistakes he made...let the OC run things and quit micromanaging.
Fulmer did not micromanage. He delegated a great deal. But, he was one of the best offensive coordinators we've ever had. The only OC I would say may have been as good as PF was Walt Harris. PF probably learned a lot from WH. What Fulmer did best, other than being the best recruiter in the country, is develop offensive linemen. We could run the ball on anyone, and that's why Fulmer was so successful. When he got away from that, and gave in to people wanting a wide-open offense, he hit bottom. Wish he would take over the OL now. With Brumbaugh out, could Fulmer coach the OL?

Yeah he’s here no baring some random issue that forces him to resign. It’s just amazing how anytime, any league, any sport, that contracts get passed out, or extended you immediately see a decline. For instance, I could take all day describing NBA players(I stopped watching this year) that would kind of fade. Then when it’s the last year of their contract they turn into the player you expected, or better. They get the contract they wanted, then back to being a shell of what they just were.

At UT they seem to want to up the coaches contract, early most of the time, when the coach has a mid level successful season. It’s as if UT thinks the rest of the nation is going to be beating the doors down to acquire whomever the current coach is. So then we are locked into them for another handful of years and get to watch them implode.

I get the idea, want to reward them for the progress made. But at the same time this has bitten us too many times. Seems UT likes paying more former coaches than current coaches. There’s got to be some kick backs happening, that’s the only excuse I could see that makes sense in some of these situations. Or atleast would make me believe they aren’t complete morons, and they are just corrupt I suppose.

"reworking" the staff is a crock of excrement! It doesn't work but rather prolongs the inevitable. TN gave Dooley and Jones "one more year" which further degraded the program. Rip the bandage off already and fire that damn redneck Bama'r - be done with it. It is time to move on. Incredible opportunity out there to go hire Freeze!
Jones was 9-4 the year before he got fired. So how do you construe they gave him one more year? He won 4 games his last season and got fired that year.

88 points in the second half, last 4 games. Not all on the offense. Team quits at halftime- WHY?

Yes, and plus Fulmer is not going to fire a coach that he gave an extension to less than a year previously....he knows that would make him look bad.

Gotta say, the hire makes him look gawd awful. Admitting the mistake and making the change would actually help restore his severely damaged image. Then again, if they're going to allow him to make the next hire, too, they might as well keep Pruitt until they're ready to fire fulmer as well.

Because giving Butch and Dooley a chance to make wholesale staff changes got each of them fired. This will turn out much the same.

Exactly. Those who don't learn from history are destined to repeat it. Unless someone with the influence, power and money steps up and insists we make bold, immediate moves, this scene will play out just like it did with Dooley and Butch. We'll continue to languish in the bottom half of the SEC and battle vandy for the cellar.

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange

VN Store

Back